Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

examination awards

Options
  • 16-04-2013 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

I heard from one of my teachers that the government gives you an award if you get the highest marks in the country in a particular subject in JC or LC exams. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Matthewjohn

I know it is for the leaving cert not sure about the junior cert though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

If it's true, i'll be aiming for 101% in Science :D. Though, that's impossible >.<. You can't get the highest? o.0 I'm sure every year there's at least 10 people who get 100% in each subject, uhm maybe not in Irish, that subject is impossible xD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We were always asked every year for the numbers of students who had scored the full 180/180 marks in History. There were not very many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Spurious is this true? In my school we give awards for the person with the highest scores in JC, i wish we had awards for people with highest score in other subjects too :S

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Spurious is this true? In my school we give awards for the person with the highest scores in JC, i wish we had awards for people with highest score in other subjects too :S

It would be nationally.
    I know in about seven years correcting, I only ever had one JC HIstory paper that I corrected that got absolute full marks.

They are sponsored by various unions, departments and societies.

Like this one:
    http://wilsonshospitalschool.com/index.php/whs-extra-curricular-news-2012-2013/march-2013/25-whs-archive-news-2010-2011/whs-older-news-2010-2011/183-best-in-ireland-top-junior-certificate-technical-graphics-pupil36
    and these:
    http://www.cc.scoilnet.ie/woodworkconstruction.html
    I'm not sure if they are in all subjects. There are also some local awards, like these:
    http://www.nuigalway.ie/about-us/news-and-events/news-archive/2013/january2013/nui-galway-awards-business-certificate-to-260-junior-certificate-students-.html
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/buslaw/staffinformation/news/fullstory-193383-en.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I think some students in my school that did really well in their German JC last year are getting to go to Germany..

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

People who get the highest mark in German in the country are given the opportunity to go to Germany for two weeks, you have to do some sort of interview

People who get top marks in maths are invited for extra Maths classes and the chance to be on the Maths Olympiad team (international team) and the same for people who do well in Science, but theres no extra classes for that, you get invited to do an exam for a chance to get a place on the Science Olympiad.

Not sure about anyother subjects

Glee_GG wrote: »
    People who get the highest mark in German in the country are given the opportunity to go to Germany for two weeks, you have to do some sort of interview

People who get top marks in maths are invited for extra Maths classes and the chance to be on the Maths Olympiad team (international team) and the same for people who do well in Science, but theres no extra classes for that, you get invited to do an exam for a chance to get a place on the Science Olympiad.

Very interesting! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭positivealf

Glee_GG wrote: »

I'm definitely going to study harder for science now!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

I'm definitely going to study harder for science now!

Science is very straightforward and there's not much the examiner can dock you on if you know your definitions and are able for simple maths. Hope you do well :D:D

• Advertisement

Science is very straightforward and there's not much the examiner can dock you on if you know your definitions and are able for simple maths. Hope you do well :D:D
    So true! But getting full marks on the projects could be hard, my teacher told me no one ever got full marks on the projects, because the marking scheme is weird. I don't believe it.

Advertisement