Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to teach English in South America

• 16-04-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys, I've been looking into the possibility of going to South America to teach English and I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about it?

I have no experience in teaching and no TEFL/Celta qualification etc. I originally planned on doing an online TEFL course but I'm starting to find bad reviews on them with people saying their a waste of time and money. Are the qualifications essential?

I came across this http://www.eslstarter.com/teach-english-in-argentina.php which is an internship in Argentina and sounds brilliant at a glance but I've never really heard about it so I'd be a bit skeptical.

If anyone has any tips or advice it'd be much appreciated as I have very little knowledge on the whole thing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

Hi there,

Having lived in Argentina, teaching English, for the past 3 years, I can't comment directly on this scheme. However, Argentina is a great place to live and work, although, it has become expensive, even by Irish standards. The 500 peso stipend will cover two nights out per month, even if you are frugal, so make sure you have your own funds to supplement this. Teaching here is not well paid, even with additional private students.

Having said that, there is a big demand for the language, and if you are prepared to dig in, you can make a survival living here. The place is great, but can get you down at times when things don't run smoothly. It certainly helps if you have some Spanish before you get here.. I live just outside Buenos Aires, and there is plenty going on, with a vibrant ex-pat community, which, believe me, you will want to get in contact with, even if you are an intrepid traveler - you need that link to home.

If you want any mor einfo, drop me a note...... Glad to help (or hinder)

Advertisement