Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Freshwater & Marine Biology GMIT?

Options
  • 16-04-2013 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I know its long but please help haha :)

Hi there, I'm not used to using forums so if I'm doing this wrong I'm sorry!

I'm doing my Leaving Cert in June and I can't figure out what to put first on my CAO, I'm from kildare but I'm taking a great interest in Galway, I don't know a great deal about either GMIT or NUIG so I'm not sure which one I'd like if any because I'm really confused about everything!

I'm swaying towards GMIT because the course (Applied Freshwater& Marine biology) looks interesting. Can anyone who has done/is doing the course tell me about it is it hard, What are the worst & best things , or even anyone who goes to/ went to GMIT tell me about the college itself, lecturers, students etc.

Also, would it be easy to make friends & all of that and would it be worth the move from kildare, My mother was talking to a neighbour today and she was saying she knew somebody who went to college in Galway and that they're really lonely or something, It sounds petty and all but I've had a bad year & I'm gone back into my shell and lost confidence and stuff, I'm sure the summer will take that away but does this all sound like a good idea?

I struggle with maths but I like biology and I can manage chemistry.
    The reason I'm so interested in this course is because I like science (biology best), & all about the sea, rivers & lakes aquatic life etc. Also I've heard Galways a great place to be :)

Any help is very much appreciated thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

First off welcome Emmahorror!

I can only tell you about the student life, not much about marine biology. Students are very friendly in GMIT, and NUIG too. If you're moving down to Galway you'll likely be staying in the student accommodation like Glasán etc. It's very easy to meet people in the student villages, especially if you don't know anybody. I can only imagine your neighbour's friend was a bit shy because there'll be a load of people in the same boat as regards not knowing anybody and looking for friends. If you talk to anybody in your course the first week it'll be easy to strike up a conversation and you already have stuff in common.

Lecturers vary from course to course like everywhere else. We have a few great and a few bad ones but they're always very friendly if you turn up for lectures.

It's a nice campus, a lot smaller than NUIG's empire the other side of the city. Galway is a studenty city so there's a big nightlife culture here.

Hope that helps in any way. Maybe start a thread over in NUIG forum too if you haven't already. It's a lot busier than here.

Best of luck in the Leaving Cert!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

The Marine and Freshwater course is excellent, I've only ever heard good reports from employers on the ability of the graduates. You will learn lots of practical skills during the course, which will really stand to you. First year is the same as any science course in any college. You learn the basics in large classes, and can be quite boring at times; however second year you really start to specialize. Expect lots of fieldtrips, labwork and projects. There is also plenty of opportunity to get ship time on the research vessels.
    You will go on placement for a few months in third year. A lot of the students use this as an opportunity to travel to amazing places.

If you are interested in the course, you can drop me a pm and id be happy to explain further.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

It's a great course with a huge focus on practical work, which employers love! Students get a solid grounding in labwork and fieldtrips to get real world experience.

As James said, you have ample opportunity to get to work aboard fishing vessels which is also cool! Id you have any interest in doing this, it is a great course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 haydnk100

How far is NUIG away from GMIT , interested in this course because I have an interest in fishing and have actually fished for Ireland which is a bonus, just wondering what sort of job would be available after the course is finished !

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MyNameIsMethos

haydnk100 wrote: »
    How far is NUIG away from GMIT , interested in this course because I have an interest in fishing and have actually fished for Ireland which is a bonus, just wondering what sort of job would be available after the course is finished !

NUIG & GMIT are at the opposite sides of the city, more or less; 4.4km. You'd walk it in an hour. Being able to fish wouldn't give you a very large edge in the course unless you'd been using your catches as a study of physiology etc

The GMIT website gives a better spread of career opportunities then I ever could. As jamesdiver says above, it seems to have a good name with employers too.

I'm not in the course myself yet, first year general science, but I know that some of the lecturers specific to the course are good people: their main biology lecturer for instance.

As all the science courses* have the same general coursework throughout first year, I'd suggest popping down the ole general science on the form as well when the decision time comes: it's a good safety net for getting into your hoped-for course if the points go awry, and either way you won't be making any permanent decisions until April of your first year.

*Exception of Medical Science & perhaps Forensics which have an extra module.

• Advertisement
Advertisement