Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon TV Online (website and app discussion only)

• 15-04-2013 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Hootanany wrote: »
    How can I get it on my iPhone also did not get the trial.
    Download the APP & sign in using your existing My UPC login details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭onform

I've been messing around with the new web-page:
    https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/
    the plug-in it needs(Widevine Video Optimiser) only seems to work on Google Chrome(I couldn't get it going with IE9 anyway). Is this what other people are experiencing?

Also couldn't install the plug in on Android, says it's not supported.

I'm on the horizon trial, would also be curious about the "reward".

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

onform wrote: »
    I've been messing around with the new web-page:
    the plug-in it needs(Widevine Video Optimiser) only seems to work on Google Chrome(I couldn't get it going with IE9 anyway). Is this what other people are experiencing?
    Even on chrome, it took me four attempts before it worked properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I didn't know this was coming. I knew about the Horizon box but not the online offering.

A few good movies and TV series but a lot of the TV overlaps with Netflix.

A nice unexpected surprise all the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There really isn't any need for two threads on a product that's yet to see the light of day in this market and outside of a limited trial may be months away from launch. Merging threads.

icdg wrote: »
    There really isn't any need for two threads on a product that's yet to see the light of day in this market and outside of a limited trial may be months away from launch. Merging threads.

This was a separate thread when I posted. And without the separate thread I wouldn't even know about horizon.tv as I'm not involved in the Horizon trial. Did it really need to be merged?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

Playback not available on jailbroken devices..........what a load of b*ll*x!!!

Just tested the iOS app. Mine is jailbroken but xCon sorts out the issue with jb detection.

Can watch tv series and some live tv channels, rte, bbc etc.

Pretty cool and fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I wonder why HD channels aren't available to stream especially on iOS, just the option to record. If FilmOn can do it surely UPC can too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

cisk wrote: »
    Just tested the iOS app. Mine is jailbroken but xCon sorts out the issue with jb detection.

Can watch tv series and some live tv channels, rte, bbc etc.

Pretty cool and fluid.

Thanks for the tip going to install xcon and try it now

I can never understand why sky and now UPC are blocking jailbroken devices
    I payed €500 for my ipad and can jailbreak it if I like,it's not illegal and you should expect all apps to continue working

Evilbart wrote: »

I payed €500 for my ipad and can jailbreak it if I like,it's not illegal and you should expect all apps to continue working

I guess it's because you could say write and tweak that could possibly rip material or interfere with their app in some way.

Pointless really as there will always be way to bypass such a detection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

if you go on the horizon website & put in your my upc details & accept the t&c's are you charged for this? or is it free over the internet (a bit clueless on this )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

kline64 wrote: »
    if you go on the horizon website & put in your my upc details & accept the t&c's are you charged for this? or is it free over the internet (a bit clueless on this )

It's free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Umm.. Two products. One a set top box (in trial) a second a website and app (launched). What is the point having threads if you are going to merge everything? Horizon the set top box is unrelated to Horizon the on-demand application and website. I'm only the user, you are the mod. But I believe it is more helpful to keep them separate. Having to wade through 33 pages to find out about todays launch of Horizon.tv when 31 pages related to hardware. Crazy decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Seriously what use is an app when you can only use it when your tv is probably a few feet away from you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Simon201 wrote: »
    Seriously what use is an app when you can only use it when your tv is probably a few feet away from you!!

Do you have a tv in the jax?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

who_me wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the size of the Harmony device database, they even have some very obscure devices in there. Thanks for the info on the setup.

If there's no info button, I wonder how you do view the current program/progress?

You hit 'Ok' and then select 'Info'

Umm.. Two products. One a set top box (in trial) a second a website and app (launched). What is the point having threads if you are going to merge everything? Horizon the set top box is unrelated to Horizon the on-demand application and website. I'm only the user, you are the mod. But I believe it is more helpful to keep them separate. Having to wade through 33 pages to find out about todays launch of Horizon.tv when 31 pages related to hardware. Crazy decision.

I'll review it by this time tomorrow. If Horizon TV is not required to use the VOD service (and if it isn't, I'm not sure why the would muddy the waters by branding it the same) I'll split them again. By the looks of it the VOD service has not been publically launched either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Who said you can only use in front of the TV? You can use it in any room or hotels even with wifi very handy app

Who said you can only use in front of the TV? You can use it in any room or hotels even with wifi very handy app

Not true. I tried using it today in work and got an error saying I needed to be on a Upc connection / network for it to work!

Not true. I tried using it today in work and got an error saying I needed to be on a Upc connection / network for it to work!

Yeah and specifically, you're own UPC connection i.e the one that the Horizon website recognises as your static ip address linked to your account or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Also false cos home upc accounts are not static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If Horizon TV is not required to use the VOD service (and if it isn't, I'm not sure why the would muddy the waters by branding it the same) I'll split them again.

I've not gotten the Horizon box or package yet, but the VOD app is working for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Think about "multiroom" for a sec.
    Why have "multiroom" and pay for multiroom if you can play this anywhere in your house on a tablet/PC/smart tv etc.

kippy wrote: »
    Think about "multiroom" for a sec.
    Why have "multiroom" and pay for multiroom if you can play this anywhere in your house on a tablet/PC/smart tv etc.

True of course....

Well I seriously hope I'm wrong about being able to access it via someone else's wifi or whatever. Doesn't seem to work on the iphone via 3g though, which maybe understandable due the demands of streaming.

Also false cos home upc accounts are not static.

Well ok not static as such but I'm pretty sure mine's been the same for months now.

Use cases. Perhaps you live in a single UPC room household. You will now be able to watch TV in any other room on phone or computer. Or say you want to carry on watching TV from bed, now you can.

I've two TVs at home. Multiroom. I'm going to cancel multitoom and use this service now. I am lucky to have several laptops, iPads and iPhones in addition to cinema displays. All now become a TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'll review it by this time tomorrow. If Horizon TV is not required to use the VOD service (and if it isn't, I'm not sure why the would muddy the waters by branding it the same) I'll split them again.

One is a piece of h/w that is being rolled out to a controlled trial panel, the other is a web and iPhone app which is available to anyone today with a UPC userid and password. Totally separate platforms as I see it. Really can't see the logic behind the thread merge
    By the looks of it the VOD service has not been publically launched either though.

the fact that they haven't hired a few z-list 'celebs' to launch it like they did with VOD doesn't mean anything, the website is all setup for Irish viewers. UPC customers were the last to hear about VOD, we don't need to hang around this time waiting for a formal 'launch'.

Re Horizon.TV I've found you need to be on the UPC DNS to get it to play nicely. Videos wouldn't stream for me as I'd changed DNS.

FYI as expected full press release went out today. It's leading on UPC.ie - full info at http://www.upc.ie/Horizon_TV_Online/

Horizon is now a brand name in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

please unmerge - i don't care about the iPhone App and am only interested in horizon settop box news, now have to read through pages about an app which i don't care about.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Forgetting about the trial which is a completely seperate topic the main points to note are:

You will need to use your My UPC account to enjoy the full benefits of the Horizon TV Online and Horizon TV App service. If you are not yet registered for My UPC click here to learn more, or if you have forgotten your username or password click here.

- Horizon TV Online allows you view up to 45 channels LIVE such as RTE, TV3, UTV, BBC and Sky News. Plus you can watch a box set and rent a film from our extensive On Demand library. This service is FREE to UPC customers who subscribe to both our Digital TV and Fibre Power Broadband services.

Horizon TV Online Compatibility: With our Horizon TV Online service, Windows supported browsers include:

Internet Explorer 7.0 and higher
    Firefox 3.0 and higher
    Chrome 3.x and higher
    Safari 4.x and higher

Mac devices are also supported for Horizon TV Online, learn more here about Mac compatibility.

- The Horizon TV App allows you view up to 45 channels LIVE such as RTE, TV3, UTV, BBC and Sky News. Plus you can watch a box set or film from our extensive On Demand library. This service is FREE to UPC customers who subscribe to both our Digital TV and Fibre Power Broadband services

- Horizon TV App Compatibility: The following devices are compatible with our Horizon TV App:

iPad 1
    iPad 2
    iPad 3
    iPad Mini
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPhone 5
    iPodTouch 2012 *Firmware must be iOS 5 or higher

Note: Devices should not be jail broken - jail broken devices are those that have been customized so there is no software download restrictions. Click here for information on how to restore your iOS device.

There is currently no app available for Android devices, we recommend you use www.horizon.tv on a PC or Laptop.

- Add Favourites: Click grey star beside channel name to add as favourite which then becomes white & moves further up list of channels resulting in all your favourites appearing first in channel list. You will have to use your little finger to click the stars on iPhone!

- How can I watch LIVE TV on the Horizon TV App? Watching LIVE TV via Horizon TV App is simple, just go to "NOW ON TV" and click the channel logo for the channel you wish to view.
    NOTE: You can only watch live TV on channels which have the green "LIVE" icon beside the channel logo.

There is a full support section, further info & FAQ available HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭clint123

@ Admin,

Kindly unmerge these threads as there is two different topic's going on.

1 ) New Horizon Set top box
    &
    2 ) Horizon online VOD

Mac Users: Unfortunately the current Widevine Video Optimizer plugin version for Apple does not offer access to www.horizon.tv

Please click here to download the latest working version from. (Ignore the message that a newer version is available.)

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/532

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

@Cushie Butterfield - That's a very useful post - perhaps the mopds could stickie?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭flanna

Downloaded the app logged in, also logged in online and through My UPC
    Still can't watch anything on my iphone it is jailbroken but downloaded xCon and jailbroken message no longer appears
    Think I'll stick with FilmOn I never watch RTE etc anyway

coylemj wrote: »
    Mac Users: Unfortunately the current Widevine Video Optimizer plugin version for Apple does not offer access to www.horizon.tv

Please click here to download the latest working version from. (Ignore the message that a newer version is available.)

http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/532

I've tried and still can't get it to work on the Mac. The video appears for less then a second then I get an error message:

Sorry, the video cannot be played at this time.

• Advertisement

I've tried and still can't get it to work on the Mac. The video appears for less then a second then I get an error message:

Sorry, the video cannot be played at this time.

Works ok for me on Firefox. I'm on the latest version of Mountain Lion. Just watched about 30 seconds each of live RTE1 and BBC1.

Works ok for me on Firefox. I'm on the latest version of Mountain Lion. Just watched about 30 seconds each of live RTE1 and BBC1.
    Got it working on firefox just now, chrome and safari still suffering. Will try a reboot, but at least firefox is working, and looking great. I love the EPG numbers, makes it feel like channel switching etc.

What does it cost to rent a DVD these days? haven't done it in years! Is €4.99 for a 48 hour rental of, say, Skyfall or The Dark Knight Rises good value?

Also, I haven't dont more than test live TV and stream a few seconds of a TV Box Set, but is the streaming service in HD? Netflix quality or higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

I asked the connection question on the UPC forum. All the content can only be viewed in your own home, with the exception of on demand movies.
    So, no watching UPC on a train :mad:

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I asked the connection question on the UPC forum. All the content can only be viewed in your own home, with the exception of on demand movies.
    So, no watching UPC on a train :mad:

EDIT: Forget this... just tried to watch AerTV here in work and well, it's not working. Guess times are changing and they are all being limited to the home at the moment - [There's http://www.aertv.ie/ for Irish Channels and FilmOn for Uk Stuff! Just worth keeping in mind.]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Now to wait for the Android App coming out this summer..

Is anyone running the Horizon box on a non-HD connection?

The reason I ask is because I'm in an area of SE Dublin where HD is still not yet available but I've been accepted on the trial and am waiting for the phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

pity you cant watch sky sports or movies on it

This is getting ridiculous, is there anyone out there who still thinks the two topics (the box and the online service/app) should be in a single thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This is getting ridiculous, is there anyone out there who still thinks the two topics (the box and the online service/app) should be in a single thread?

It's making the whole thing a lot harder to follow alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Horizon Credit - This customer is participating in the Horizon trial. As a thank you for taking part in the trail the customer will receive a special offer. The offer will be in the form of a credit of ¿90 (¿30 for 3 months) plus an additional ¿12 to cover the purchase of 2 On Demand movies during the trial. A credit of ¿102 has now been applied to the customer¿s account as a lump sum. The customer may therefore owe nothing or be in credit on their next bill. If the customer queries their bill please confirm that the offer for taking part in the trial has been applied as a once off lump sum which has resulted in the zero rated bills.

Where did you get that from? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

The original thread was set up to talk about the proposed Horizon TV service and the Horizon Box. As things have developed now that includes folk posting about the trial and the Horizon app. While that's technically three seperate subjects it's all Horizon info. From my point of view I've no problem with or following the merged thread as it all interests me and I've not to go scrambling around seperate threads. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Eamo71 wrote: »
    The original thread was set up to talk about the proposed Horizon TV service and the Horizon Box. As things have developed now that includes folk posting about the trial and the Horizon app. While that's technically three seperate subjects it's all Horizon info. From my point of view I've no problem with or following the merged thread as it all interests me and I've not to go scrambling around seperate threads. Just my opinion.

Two different things that intrest you doesn't necessarily mean it should be the same thread.

I'm trying to look at stuff about the horizon box trial and I have to read through all the stuff about the online tv too.

Once the trial starts people not interested are going to find it difficult to find info about the online player...

I'll review it by this time tomorrow. If Horizon TV is not required to use the VOD service (and if it isn't, I'm not sure why the would muddy the waters by branding it the same) I'll split them again. By the looks of it the VOD service has not been publically launched either though.

Okay true to my word I've reviewed the situation, particularly in light of this VOD service having actually launched today, and split the threads again.

This doesn't excuse, by the way, all the on-thread complaints - correspondence of this type should be strictly by PM and not-on thread.

The fact that they're using the Horizon brand for this doesn't help. As people have pointed out, its effectively two separate products and using Horizon might confuse people (like, admittedly, myself) into initially thinking that this is solely for Horizon STB customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

supporting APP on jail broken device can be harder as the software has being changed and may not run as designed.

also you can't seem to use airplay, which means i can't send it from my IPhone to my ATV which would elimate the need for a box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement