Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Options
  • 16-04-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey, does anyone have Sky Broadband in Mayo? If so, could you give me some thoughts on whether or not to go with them? At the moment I'm with Eircom but I do a lot of work online and need something with a better upload speed.

My current connection is 4mb down, 350k up and 500gb monthly limit. From checking the availabilty of Sky broadband on my home phone it said I can get 4.8mb down but has no mention of upload speed. I'm also confused as to how Sky actually delivers broadband to your house, is it through the phone line or satellite?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Ruaille wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone have Sky Broadband in Mayo? If so, could you give me some thoughts on whether or not to go with them? At the moment I'm with Eircom but I do a lot of work online and need something with a better upload speed.

My current connection is 4mb down, 350k up and 500gb monthly limit. From checking the availabilty of Sky broadband on my home phone it said I can get 4.8mb down but has no mention of upload speed. I'm also confused as to how Sky actually delivers broadband to your house, is it through the phone line or satellite?

what town in mayo you in? fibre broadband is launching on the 20th of may in castlebar and westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

Ruaille wrote: »

sky delivers through phone line which belongs to eircom. upc are doing through satellite

gowley wrote: »
    sky delivers through phone line which belongs to eircom. upc are doing through satellite

upc dont operate in mayo. they use cable not satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sky resell Eircom bitstream in Mayo, the speeds you get may be less than what you're getting at the moment with Eircom as Eircom have better backhaul to their exchanges. Don't get sucked in by the marketing BS or the promise of better speeds, there are lots in the broadband forum very sorry they moved as it's unusable for them after 7 in the evening.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056917667

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

irishgeo wrote: »
    fibre broadband is launching on the 20th of may in castlebar and westport.

Any additional info on this or where did you here the date?

They announced this last April and again last September so I'm getting tired on announcements.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    Any additional info on this or where did you here the date?

They announced this last April and again last September so I'm getting tired on announcements.

Its in all the papers and I got an email from Vodafone telling me its launching soon.

www.eircom.ie/efibre for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LJB666

I've switched to sky and I'm very happy with it compared to Vodafone. I'm a couple of miles away from Bohola and get 7mbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

what town in mayo you in? fibre broadband is launching on the 20th of may in castlebar and westport.

Is it worth upgrading for this? Got a call from Eircom today, free upgrade if I commit to an 18 month contract.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Is it worth upgrading for this? Got a call from Eircom today, free upgrade if I commit to an 18 month contract.:confused:

I'd go for it, particularly if out of contract with your current provider. You at least know what your costs will be for 18 months. Fibre will be miles better than DSL, so there should'nt be any chance of being worse off. And you can always jump to the best-priced provider in 18 months.

I'd go for it, particularly if out of contract with your current provider. You at least know what your costs will be for 18 months. Fibre will be miles better than DSL, so there should'nt be any chance of being worse off. And you can always jump to the best-priced provider in 18 months.

how much a month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

how much a month?

Depends on the package, I pay 49 euro with other charges and vat added on top (usually gets up to 85 per month). The cost stays the same but you are locked in to an 18 month contract. Also, the line cannot be downgraded again, not sure why this might be an issue, possibly if I switch suppliers after the 18 month they might not be able to use that line?
    In general it seems like a good thing, but like many people I have a deep distrust of these companies, if they came to the door with a herd of gift-horses I'd hire a vet to look them all in the mouth.

Depends on the package, I pay 49 euro with other charges and vat added on top (usually gets up to 85 per month). The cost stays the same but you are locked in to an 18 month contract. Also, the line cannot be downgraded again, not sure why this might be an issue, possibly if I switch suppliers after the 18 month they might not be able to use that line?
    In general it seems like a good thing, but like many people I have a deep distrust of these companies, if they came to the door with a herd of gift-horses I'd hire a vet to look them all in the mouth.

they have to change the eircom socket in your home hence the reason it cant be downgraded again. as far as i know all the other broadband sellers will be offering fibre.

i hang off till the 20th and see what comes out that day. Some rules saying you cant advertise before that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

they have to change the eircom socket in your home hence the reason it cant be downgraded again. as far as i know all the other broadband sellers will be offering fibre.

i hang off till the 20th and see what comes out that day. Some rules saying you cant advertise before that.

it can be downgraded.
    You will get two sockets
    RJ45 for a fibre connection
    RJ11 for a standard phone (and DSL connection)

But lets be honest,whos going to want to go back to DSL after Fibre

it can be downgraded.
    You will get two sockets
    RJ45 for a fibre connection
    RJ11 for a standard phone (and DSL connection)

But lets be honest,whos going to want to go back to DSL after Fibre

It would be like going from DSL to dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Is there an option through Sky for people who cant get there broadband though the phone line,i live in a rural part and can get 3 broadband aswell as some satellite broadband but with there caps whats the point!?

Advertisement