Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House inspection by council

Options
  • 16-04-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Hi we are due to move next month as landlord is moving back into her property. We have found another house in the same area. When we went to view the house the landlord said that it was council approved except for one or two minor things they have to sort out (and have since sorted). I don't know why it has to be council approved though if its privately rented? This landlord also owns the house next door to us and the tenant there told me that she received a letter from the council saying that they would be coming to inspect the place and that her and the landlord had to be there. This was 2 weeks ago and apparantly the person from the council carried out a thorough inspection, writing down notes and looking in every nook and cranny, even taps etc. Why would this be? why would the council be inspecting privately rented homes? Just wondering why this could be before we move into their other property, if anybody could shed some light on it for me. I have been renting the house we are in with my family for the past 4 years and have never had the council come to inspect it. Its not a council estate so I'm bewildered as to why they would have to inspect both the landlords homes so thoroughly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

lukesmom wrote: »
    Hi we are due to move next month as landlord is moving back into her property. We have found another house in the same area. When we went to view the house the landlord said that it was council approved except for one or two minor things they have to sort out (and have since sorted). I don't know why it has to be council approved though if its privately rented? This landlord also owns the house next door to us and the tenant there told me that she received a letter from the council saying that they would be coming to inspect the place and that her and the landlord had to be there. This was 2 weeks ago and apparantly the person from the council carried out a thorough inspection, writing down notes and looking in every nook and cranny, even taps etc. Why would this be? why would the council be inspecting privately rented homes? Just wondering why this could be before we move into their other property, if anybody could shed some light on it for me. I have been renting the house we are in with my family for the past 4 years and have never had the council come to inspect it. Its not a council estate so I'm bewildered as to why they would have to inspect both the landlords homes so thoroughly.

My parents are landlords and only once were they inspected (we believe after we told the tenants we werent buying them all new desks, lamps, curtain because they were moving out in 3 months). The checks the house has the right safety precautions like fire blankets, alarms etc. also they check for vents. They give the landlord like 3 months to comply if there is any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

These were checking measurements of each room, back and front garden. Kitchen units, bathrooms, taps, sinks, toilets, windows, basically everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The council do rare inspections of rented properties every couple of years to make sure that the property meets the legal standards for health & safety, adequate light, heat and ventilation etc. Room measurements combined with radiator size indicate whether or not there is adequate heat being produced to heat the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Okay thanks for replies it seems it is common enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I KNOW a landlord ,she was told to put in a new vent ,in the front room wall,by the council.The apartment is about 7 years old.
    She has 2 private tenants there.

They have the right to inspect any property that,s rented to the public.
    They have very detailed ,standards , re storage space, heating ,ventilation etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

riclad wrote: »
    They have very detailed ,standards , re storage space, heating ,ventilation etc

Pity then that they failed to enforce their own building standards for many apartments and houses around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find it funny how they generally inspect fairly modern 1960s home but never seem to inspect tenament looking houses in the inner city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

hfallada wrote: »
    I find it funny how they generally inspect fairly modern 1960s home but never seem to inspect tenament looking houses in the inner city.

They can only select properties at random from the NPPR database or PRTB. Also there is no reason why period subdivided houses can't meet the same standard, and many do, especially now bedsit standard has been upgraded.

Advertisement