Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer repair shop put inauthentic OS version on netbook

Options
  • 16-04-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My sister's netbook wouldn't boot up there recently.
    The hard drive seems to have gone (taking the OS with it).
    She ended up taking it to a computer repair shop that charged her 120 euro.

He put in a hard drive, however, when she booted it up after getting it back, there was a login screen requiring a code and a message telling her that this version of the OS was not authentic (or words to that effect).
    The computer repair guy didn't even give her the code to login and she had to go back to the shop for it.

Is this acceptable that he put what seems to be an inauthentic copy of Windows on her netbook. Or should she demand to have it restored to how it was for the 120 euro that she gave him.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi
    My sister's netbook wouldn't boot up there recently.
    The hard drive seems to have gone (taking the OS with it).
    She ended up taking it to a computer repair shop that charged her 120 euro.

He put in a hard drive, however, when she booted it up after getting it back, there was a login screen requiring a code and a message telling her that this version of the OS was not authentic (or words to that effect).
    The computer repair guy didn't even give her the code to login and she had to go back to the shop for it.

Is this acceptable that he put what seems to be an inauthentic copy of Windows on her netbook. Or should she demand to have it restored to how it was for the 120 euro that she gave him.

Is it stating that "you may be a victim of counterfeiting" or "you have x amount of days to activate windows", it could be the repair shop re-installed the OS but forgot to activate it. Check the license serial number on the bottom of the laptop, make sure the license corresponds to the version of Windows installed. If it does enter the cd key printed on the sticker and try to activate.
    If an unlicensed version of Windows was installed then yes this is a big deal, and you most definitely are entitled to get this issue rectified. You can also find out more info and report the piracy here if you wish.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Merl1n

you are also covered on the sale of goods and supply of service act
    You paid for a job that wasn't completed
    I wouldn't be happy to finish the job after paying someone to do it, go back and get the store to do it and look for some money back for having to return for the password and now this
    If you have hassle small claims court and report them to Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They should have given you back the old drive,even if its faulty.
    i restored windows 7 on my laptop,
    From the hidden partition, on the drive c .
    for 6 months i got a message, text on screen,
    This copy of windows maybe illegal.Message disapeared after 4 months.
    I bought this laptop new in peats.
    HE may have simply forgot to activate windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You could bring it back to him and explain about the message, I'm sure he will happily charge you for a new windows licence if you don't have your original license key and type it in for you.

TRY the license key ,on the netbook,label underneath,
    has to be the same,
    eg a win7 pro license, won,t work IF win 7 home starter, version is installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He could have forgotten to enter the serial or activate the OS, it's one of those things that can happen and as long as he dealt with it immediately I wouldn't kick up a fuss.

Is it working now?

IF i left a pc,into a shop, for repair, i,d expect them, to give the old drive, to me,
    even if it the drive, completely dead.
    eg my credit card,info, bank password ,account no, could be on the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

I'm in the PC repair business and I would always give the failed drive back to the customer.

Sounds like the guy has forgot to activate Windows. I've made this mistake before myself so it can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

A Windows 7 Starter DVD is b**** to acquire since they don't have it on Technet. ;)

And it's the only version that works with with netbook license keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Actually all DVDs' of Windows 7 contain the ability to install all and any version of Windows 7, from Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional to Ultimate edition. Actually, the ability to select the version or edition of Windows 7 during setup installation, or which edition that the setup will automatically install, lies with a small configuration file named ei.cfg on the Windows 7 DVD, disc media or ISO image.

If you delete this file the install procedure will present you with this screen so you can choose which version to install.

windows-7-select-edition-to-install.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement