Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pet Care - Kennel Alternative?

• 16-04-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just putting this out there.

We're a Family with small kids, large dog and 2 cats. So when it comes to hols (if we're lucky :) Don't mind putting the cats in kennel but the dog just breaks my heart. He's a goldie/red setter cross (LARGE) but adores kids and human company in general. have had to use kennel option in the past, but does anyone know of an alternative?

We do mind a retriever for a family for summer hols, but I don't think they'll take ours on, - he's a bit hyper and they've small garden (and some other concerns)!

Fairly new to the area (North Kildare) I've been searching everywhere to see if anyone is in similar situation so that we could *swap* pets when we're away but haven't found anyone so far plus our guy is more like a small pony :)

TIA

Ed: Here's the boy in question, he's just a lot bigger and hairier now :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Anacou wrote: »
    Hi all,

We're a Family with small kids, large dog and 2 cats. So when it comes to hols (if we're lucky :) Don't mind putting the cats in kennel but the dog just breaks my heart. He's a goldie/red setter cross (LARGE) but adores kids and human company in general. have had to use kennel option in the past, but does anyone know of an alternative?

We do mind a retriever for a family for summer hols, but I don't think they'll take ours on, - he's a bit hyper and they've small garden (and some other concerns)!

Fairly new to the area (North Kildare) I've been searching everywhere to see if anyone is in similar situation so that we could *swap* pets when we're away but haven't found anyone so far plus our guy is more like a small pony :)

TIA

can we have a photo please sounds a lovely dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You could try these http://www.petsittersireland.com/ I've never used them, nor do I know anyone who uses them, so I can't comment on how good they are.

You could look for someone who does home boarding, the dog would live in the house with the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

Whispered wrote:
    I've never used them, nor do I know anyone who uses them

At those prices I'm not surprised :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

i've used them (and continue to do so) and they're excellent. I couldnt face putting my two in kennels and I feel much better knowing they're safe at home in their own environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Anacou wrote: »
    Hi all,

TIA

Ed: Here's the boy in question, he's just a bit bigger and hairier now :)
    Sorry cant help with answering but just wanna say that is one lovely dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Anacou

Yes . . its home boarding I'm looking for really. I'd don't want him to be at home alone either really as he needs company and freedom. I may have found a good solution though, although a bit of a trek away and have yet to check it out in detail.

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Sorry cant help with answering but just wanna say that is one lovely dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We use home boarding with a fabulous family in Meath, could that be too far for you though?

kaza2710 wrote: »
    We use home boarding with a fabulous family in Meath, could that be too far for you though?

Hi, No - might be ok. Def probably closer than Wicklow! Will you pm me the details? Have they very secure garden? My problem is they need to be able to mind a large dog, or ideally own a large dog.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

We use a family in Lusk nth Dublin; they charge 12.50 a day and take a max of 2 or 3 dogs in any one time. Your dog becomes a part of their family for the duration of his/her stay. You can pm me if you would like there contact details

i am not affiliated with these supplier of services in anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I can recommend home boarding in Drogheda but maybe too far. About 15-20 mins from Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

PM sent.

Just on Tillys post home boarding near the airport might be handy if you are flying for your holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Just on Tillys post home boarding near the airport might be handy if you are flying for your holidays.

Thats what we done, came from Galway to Drogheda to drop her off and then Clare met us at the airport with her when we came back so was very handy.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll definitely get sorted :)

Something near the airport wouldn't really work as woof take up the entire back seat or boot so with 2 kids, luggage and doggie someone would have to go on the roof :)

Thanks again for all the info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

jimf wrote: »
    can we have a photo please sounds a lovely dog

fab looking dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whispered wrote: »
    You could try these http://www.petsittersireland.com/ .

I laughed out loud at their prices when i chatted to them at the PetExpo last year. €75 for an overnight visit :eek::eek: I used to charge €25 for a full 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jjdub1

^^^^^ It's now €99 !!!!!!!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

jjdub1 wrote: »
    ^^^^^ It's now €99 !!!!!!!!!:p

How could ANYONE afford E99/day to have their pets minded?!?!?

And yes OP that is a fabulous looking dog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would ask the local vet, or even put up a note in the vet's. Sometimes, someone working in the vet's is a pet minder, or one of the regulars is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I didn't check the price, I just remembered seeing something similar and googled it thinking it might be of use to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Whispered wrote: »
    I didn't check the price, I just remembered seeing something similar and googled it thinking it might be of use to the OP.

Their "call in" daily prices are reasonable-ish but most petsitting businesses dont charge the ridiculous overnight charges they do.Their "overnight rate" pays for the sitter to basically sleep...unless they expect their pet and petsitter to be nocturnal, which isn't the case for a dog or cat.

I was a pet sitter (part time) for 8 years and and people freaked out (and these are GOOD owners) at anything beyond €30/day, which is fair enough. Medical requirements maybe more. That's at a push too.

My advice OP is to contact your local vet practices. There are lots of veterinary nurses/animal attendants, highly qualified at their job and responsible and honest who are looking for this kind of work. Anyone who works locally who is renting, is only too glad of the extra money to do what they love and have a bit of space from their flatmates for a few days.

Now, this might sound dodgy to you, but believe me...i was INUNDATED in the height of my "petsitting days" as i could provide lots of references and proof of employment. I petsitted in areas that were close to my job and i didnt have any ties.I was a young,free and single professional person who literally had "regular clients" for years. It was brilliant.I earned my rep through word of mouth and turned so many people away because i was booked months in advance. I was THAT good :D:D

I still have a few buddies years later who i now mind for free because i'm now friends with their owners.

My main points are highlighted in bold. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

http://www.homefromhomekennels.com/
    These guys have come highly recommended to me. I have never used them but definately intend to! They offer a pick up service but I will still visit them first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

anniehoo wrote: »
    I laughed out loud at their prices when i chatted to them at the PetExpo last year. €75 for an overnight visit :eek::eek:.

Agree. And my friend joined up with them to be a pet sitter. No disrespect to her but they take anyone. She has yet to be asked for a reference check. Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

Agree. And my friend joined up with them to be a pet sitter. No disrespect to her but they take anyone. She has yet to be asked for a reference check. Shocking.

:eek: I wouldn't use them they are just to expensive. surprised they are being used at this day and age at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hi,

PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

What do they do that kennels don't ? We leave ours at a kennel and they're usually living in the house by the time we get back. Even if they weren't I wouldn't have an issue as they're well looked after with plenty of company. Just wondering like ?

Advertisement