Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an odd one!

Options
  • 17-04-2013 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would put this up and see what advice comes back!

The scenario is :

Married couple late 30's/early 40's
    No specific formal training in anything in Ireland, both just "worked".
    Have family in Australia and thinking of a life change/fresh start.

Both willing to retrain as anything that would enable them to build a life in Australia.
    Obviously they won't be going back to do a medical degree(timewise):)

But say something that would take a couple of years to train in.

What direction should they look into that would give them a good chance of working in Australia?

Any opinion welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Do you have a boat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Zambia wrote: »
    Do you have a boat?

I have a canoe, is that any use?;)

BTW my op is serious!

Actually yes, if you canoe from Cork to Perth that will pretty much class you as professional athletes. Add to that the ensuing book on your boring as bat**** trip for months at sea where death was around every corner and salt water blisters a way of life. This will possibly class you as some sort of special skills or unique talent.

There is a VISA for that. Other wise I got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Unless you have a skill in demand, then not much chance of a visa.

You can retrain, but you'll also need experience etc.

hussey wrote: »
    Unless you have a skill in demand, then not much chance of a visa.

You can retrain, but you'll also need experience etc.

I gathered the exp side of things would be a given, no point having a qualification without exp.

I was hoping for some direction to look as to which area to retrain in tbh.

Aside from the professional/graduate end of things which clearly are aimed at other applicants with that training behind them, where would you start?

Old dogs and all that!

No rush btw on going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Well there is a cut off age for Australia, I think it's 45 but New Zealand is 55.
    Look at the skills shortage lists and see if there is anything you could train in in a short time.

BTW, it is my contention that Australia will experience a general slowdown in the near future so even if you had skills there may not be demand. To be honest while the money is good at the moment I'd be as happy in one of the sunnier European countries if I could sustain a comfortable lifestyle. (working on that plan daily)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Find this one interesting.

Speaking from experience do a degree and find a career that interests you and that you enjoy. I done a degree based solely on getting a job afterwards and although I have found plenty of work I hate what I do. Your going to be doing it till your 70. May as well not hate every minute of it.

Have you lived in Australia before?

Maybe check out the SOL - First Shedule to get an idea of demand but without doubt this will probably change over the next few years.

I think that you need to have 3 years experience in your selected field + get your quailifications verified before you can apply for a skilled migrant visa? (Not sure on this but im sure someone will be able to confirm.)

catbear wrote: »
    Well there is a cut off age for Australia, I think it's 45 but New Zealand is 55.
    Look at the skills shortage lists and see if there is anything you could train in in a short time.

BTW, it is my contention that Australia will experience a general slowdown in the near future so even if you had skills there may not be demand. To be honest while the money is good at the moment I'd be as happy in one of the sunnier European countries if I could sustain a comfortable lifestyle. (working on that plan daily)

Spain is a no-no as are others(if you have any idea on which EU ones are looking more promising, I'll hear 'em:))

Where do I find the skills shortage lists?
    Cheers

Smidge wrote: »
    Spain is a no-no as are others(if you have any idea on which EU ones are looking more promising, I'll hear 'em:))

Cheers

Google

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

both just "worked".

What did you both just work as?

You may be able to get some kind of degree in management relevant to the field you have worked in that might provide you with a better chance of getting a skilled visa for Australia as you might have relevant work experience. That is as long as the criteria for entry don't change again which they seem to do nearly ever year.

As you can see there are a lot of maybes in that...

I heard that a couple of years a go there were a lot of people who trained as hairdressers just to get into Australia and then the skills list changed and they were left up a certain creek without a paddle.

• Advertisement

The FAQ is here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

Further to Doc post you still cant get a decent haircut in Oz.... they all qualified and drove taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

Cheers

Hi Smidge have a look around here; http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

The direct link to the list is here; http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Cheers
    I've seen some good opportunities for starting a small business in Spain, I won't get rich but that's not why I'm interested. After a few decades of working just to live I'm more interested in sustaining a comfortable lifestyle doing something I like. As the saying goes, work at something you like and you'll never work another day in your life. I'm kinda half way there at the moment.

As for the skills shortage lists for OZ and NZ, seriously, google is your friend.

Doc wrote: »
    What did you both just work as?

You may be able to get some kind of degree in management relevant to the field you have worked in that might provide you with a better chance of getting a skilled visa for Australia as you might have relevant work experience. That is as long as the criteria for entry don't change again which they seem to do nearly ever year.

As you can see there are a lot of maybes in that...

I heard that a couple of years a go there were a lot of people who trained as hairdressers just to get into Australia and then the skills list changed and they were left up a certain creek without a paddle.

I heard the hairdressing thing but know 2 people who have gone with that occupation and have done well and I'm glad for them.

Not sure we would get any degree's based on prior work experience(menial at best under todays "classifications")but ironically my IQ is 120 so go figure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

On a lot of other websites they talk of the 5 year plan for PR, 2 years to retrain and 3 of experince or 3 years to retrain and 2 of experience.

Also as mentioned on another thread 476 graduate visa, do a Engineering degree at one if the institutions and you get a visa for 18 months or 2 years. It's not PR but more like WHV for graduates maybe by that stage you might qualify for PR.

Hi Smidge have a look around here; http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

The direct link to the list is here; http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1.pdf

Thanks for that!
    I see you are in Thailand, spent a while there some years ago.

Beautiful country

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

http://deewr.gov.au/search/site/skills%20shortage

Some interesting reading here.

j

catbear wrote: »
    I've seen some good opportunities for starting a small business in Spain, I won't get rich but that's not why I'm interested. After a few decades of working just to live I'm more interested in sustaining a comfortable lifestyle doing something I like. As the saying goes, work at something you like and you'll never work another day in your life. I'm kinda half way there at the moment.

As for the skills shortage lists for OZ and NZ, seriously, google is your friend.

Have some family/friends who lost their shirts starting up in Spain(I would be very familiar with one region myself, Eastern Spain).

Can really be down to luck of the draw with Spain.

I really understand what you say about loving your work and it will never be a chore to work.
    I think we have missed that boat, sadly.
    But still can work to live imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I heard the hairdressing thing but know 2 people who have gone with that occupation and have done well and I'm glad for them.

Not sure we would get any degree's based on prior work experience(menial at best under todays "classifications")but ironically my IQ is 120 so go figure:)

My point is that quite a few did get in that way and so others trained to be hairdressers to do the same and then the job was removed from the skills list and they couldn't use there new skill to get in. You should be wary of this when looking for a skill to train in.

What are your reasons for starting a new life? Are they purely financial? I know you said that you have some family over here but most people i speak to just want to get away from the doom and gloom of Ireland.

If you are moving to Australia to make better money and a more comfortable lifestyle be warned that sooner rather than later the arse is going to fall out of the economy here as well and when it does people will be flooding for the exits. Speak to any Aussie who has been around a while and they will tell you that this is a continuous cycle. The Oz economy goes well - The foreigners come in in their droves. The economy goes to **** and they all pack up and leave.

By the time you get quailifed and get the required experience my guess would be that things will have changed dramatically in Australia

• Advertisement

Doc wrote: »
    My point is that quite a few did get in that way and so others trained to be hairdressers to do the same and then the job was removed from the skills list and they couldn't use there new skill to get in. You should be wary of this when looking for a skill to train in.

I get that point completely, it did seem odd to me as an "outsider" that a skill such as hairdressing would have a continuous demand.

Do Australians not like this job for a reason(just curiosity here btw!):)

What are your reasons for starting a new life? Are they purely financial? I know you said that you have some family over here but most people i speak to just want to get away from the doom and gloom of Ireland.

If you are moving to Australia to make better money and a more comfortable lifestyle be warned that sooner rather than later the arse is going to fall out of the economy here as well and when it does people will be flooding for the exits. Speak to any Aussie who has been around a while and they will tell you that this is a continuous cycle. The Oz economy goes well - The foreigners come in in their droves. The economy goes to **** and they all pack up and leave.

By the time you get quailifed and get the required experience my guess would be that things will have changed dramatically in Australia

To be fair..
    A little from column "A" and a little from column "B"

Finances are tight(as they are for most here) but call it a "mid-life" if you will but neither of us had the opportunity to formally educate ourselves and sadly(this is not DR Phil btw:D)we just went to work to pay the bills.

We would like to change our lives and to live and work in Australia if possible.
    The "40" mark makes you really sit up and see the clock tick past and suddenly the jobs you did to pay the bills in the past make it really obvious that the jobs you have done have just enabled you to "Live to work" and not "Work to live"

To be fair..
    A little from column "A" and a little from column "B"

Finances are tight(as they are for most here) but call it a "mid-life" if you will but neither of us had the opportunity to formally educate ourselves and sadly(this is not DR Phil btw:D)we just went to work to pay the bills.

We would like to change our lives and to live and work in Australia if possible.
    The "40" mark makes you really sit up and see the clock tick past and suddenly the jobs you did to pay the bills in the past make it really obvious that the jobs you have done have just enabled you to "Live to work" and not "Work to live"

Fair Play mate. If you want the Aussie lifestyle - Surf, sun and sea or whatever go for it. If you are chasing the $ i would say your going to end up fairly dissappointed.

Fair Play mate. If you want the Aussie lifestyle - Surf, sun and sea or whatever go for it. If you are chasing the $ i would say your going to end up fairly dissappointed.

It's not the case of looking to get rich there.
    We have worked our guts out here and have survived.
    "Survived" being the operative word.

We just want to change our lives, simple as.

We are hard workers and have never been afraid of a challenge and I guess that's what we are looking for with Australia:)

In fairness it's not like we see much hoping in the Celtic tiger reappearing any time soon.

Most Irish will just dig in and see how we go.

Don't know about you blokes but I have F**k all job wise to go back to.

Zambia wrote: »
    In fairness it's not like we see much hoping in the Celtic tiger reappearing any time soon.

Most Irish will just dig in and see how we go.

Don't know about you blokes but I have F**k all job wise to go back to.

I think you have hit the nail on the head Zambia.

We have dug in, done what was needed but when it comes down to the brass tacks of it, things are not going to improve here.

We are not looking to get wealthy and lay back in the sun but neither are we "starting out".
    We seem to be caught in some sort of "no-man's-land" where we cannot continue as is, financially(although this is not an imminent concern) but it is most certainly a case of the clock ticking with regard to LIVING.

Do we want to continue as we are?
    No.

Do we want to work in fulfilling roles/jobs for the rest of our adult working life?
    Yes

It's not the case of looking to get rich there.
    We have worked our guts out here and have survived.
    "Survived" being the operative word.

We just want to change our lives, simple as.

We are hard workers and have never been afraid of a challenge and I guess that's what we are looking for with Australia:)

That puts you in the same boat as 99% of the rest of us over here i would say! Working 2 jobs in Ireland and making no money, living in your parents house because nobody would give you a mortgage and even if they did you probably couldnt afford it. Work is **** because they have you over a barrel and suddenly the hours get longer because they are starting to lay people off and you and your colleagues are pitted against each other.

Seriously every person flocking out of Ireland at the moment has the same stories. When the Irish economy turns around everyone will pack their bags and head back home.

I would say that Australia would always be looking for nurses btw.

Good luck!

That puts you in the same boat as 99% of the rest of us over here i would say! Working 2 jobs in Ireland and making no money, living in your parents house because nobody would give you a mortgage and even if they did you probably couldnt afford it. Work is **** because they have you over a barrel and suddenly the hours get longer because they are starting to lay people off and you and your colleagues are pitted against each other.

Seriously every person flocking out of Ireland at the moment has the same stories. When the Irish economy turns around everyone will pack their bags and head back home.

I would say that Australia would always be looking for nurses btw.

Good luck!

Agree 100%
    Everything has gone somewhat dog eat dog here.

The stories you here are awful(I have even heard of people sabotaging others to keep a job:eek:)

I think if I got gainful employment and was happy with the place I was in abroad I would NEVER return. Sad as that is to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

We have dug in, done what was needed but when it comes down to the brass tacks of it, things are not going to improve here.

Always thought the saying was "down to brass tax"

First your post and then Google has put me in my place :D

• Advertisement

Legend100 wrote: »
    Always thought the saying was "down to brass tax"

First your post and then Google has put me in my place :D

Told ya I had an IQ of 120:p:pac:

Feck all use it has done me apart from correcting a misconstrued phrase!

Advertisement