Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an odd one!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Smidge I'd be very weary of Australia as a long term option, I'm only here because of demand from the mining boom and that's retracting right now. If the downturn continues and picks up speed then trades associated with are going to suffer. As it stands according the reserve bank of Australia that although only 2% are employed directly in mining the resource economy employs 10%.

If you can see the bandwagon, you've already missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Seriously every person flocking out of Ireland at the moment has the same stories. When the Irish economy turns around everyone will pack their bags and head back home.

When is that going to happen.:confused:

Care to guess an estimate bar an oil strike of Cork ....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Zambia wrote: »
    When is that going to happen.:confused:

Care to guess an estimate bar an oil strike of Cork ....

Granted it wont happen in the next few years but the country is not doomed forever. The OP is talking about getting skilled (min 3 or 4 years) and then getting 3 years experience in industry. Then probably add another year to that for time spent between work and getting visa organised.

Thats roughly 7/8 years. I would be willing to bet that Aussie industry will slow by 2020 and with this the number of people coming out on WHV looking to become millions will decrease whilst the Irish situation will improve slowly over time.

Sooner or later Ireland will drag itself out of the ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I agree but I would wager Australia will dip but the level it dips to will still be higher than the level Ireland achieves in the same time frame.

If you get me, besides Ireland has never been this deep IMO unlearned opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Zambia wrote: »
    I agree but I would wager Australia will dip but the level it dips to will still be higher than the level Ireland achieves in the same time frame.

If you get me, besides Ireland has never been this deep IMO unlearned opinion.

At present I believe Australia is the best place in the world to be for skilled professionals. However there are things here that remind me of the situation at home. Alarm bells ring when you see some of the wages that are getting paid out for very unskilled jobs (to Australians not WHV's) and the house prices are ridiculously high.

Granted Australia has a huge amount of natural resources but even the company I am currently working for (which is one of the biggest companies in the world in its field) is starting to make proccesses "more efficient" by going electronic and by outsourcing work to Manila. The "efficiency" card was pulled out by companies in Ireland years ago and means cuts are coming.

In addition I see a lot of advertisments about investing in the Australian future and sending people to University. I think in 5-10 years the job markets here will be a hell of a lot more competitive with far more educated/ degree quailfied Australians.

Just personal opinions. I agree that the situation in Ireland is presently far worse off but that doesnt mean in 10 years Australia will be as attractive as it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭starskey77

ya cant beat painting and decorating

Advertisement