Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

normal service resumed

Options
  • 17-04-2013 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Give me that coldish high blocked easterly flow any time over this. The ground last week was rock solid, now its a bog once again. Garden currently flooded. Yes its milder, but that's the only positive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

snaps wrote: »
    Give me that coldish high blocked easterly flow any time over this. The ground last week was rock solid, now its a bog once again. Garden currently flooded. Yes its milder, but that's the only positive.

I'm waiting to see a farmer on the news complaining about the effect of the constant rain ......I can't understand why people on Ireland pray for rain. There is nothing more certain. It will rain ......and rain.....-and rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i miss the cold dry weather. come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

what i miss most is being able to hang the washing out on the line. put washing out the other day and it got blown all over the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Rose tinted glasses lads. During a large part of that blocked regime, we had Gale force easterly winds, we had rain events that lasted for 30 hours in Dublin as slow moving fronts stalled against the block dumping their rain load over southern and eastern Ireland and snow in the UK. 20th - 21st March anyone? And endless days of grey cloud. We had plants refusing to bud, or grow as they should be, even now they are just catching up. And I don't know but in Dublin at least we have had some fine weather intermittently in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

ah lads ye cant have it every way ;).

Personally i could'nt believe people on here complaining about the cold especially when the sun was shining every day with not a cloud in the sky, yes it was bitterly cold but it was'nt fecking raining :mad:, ive seen enough rain this past winter to last me a life time, and (excuse the pun) it can p1ss right off as quick as it can today.

Give me cold dry and sunny days anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Rose tinted glasses lads. During a large part of that blocked regime, we had Gale force easterly winds, we had rain events that lasted for 30 hours in Dublin as slow moving fronts stalled against the block dumping their rain load over southern and eastern Ireland and snow in the UK. 20th - 21st March anyone? And endless days of grey cloud. We had plants refusing to bud, or grow as they should be, even now they are just catching up. And I don't know but in Dublin at least we have had some fine weather intermittently in the last few days.
    endless days of grey cloud? Easter weekend was stunning! I'll never forget the view from the summit of Howth Head, the Wicklow mts and the Mournes were stunning under deep snow (the result of a 30 hour event :)) in strong sunshine and brilliant blue skies. Plants are just a bit late and will catch up as if the coldest March since 1962 never happened!
    Charts like this do nothing for me.

FSXX00T_00.jpg

weather was lovely here, wind wasn't too bad, back garden was sheltered anyway from the wind. It was cloudy sometimes, but most of the time sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We needed this badly. The grass out my way was as burnt by the raw east wind as it looked after the long snow spells in 09 and 10. Farm and garden growth was a long way behind, some good warm and damp will get it back up to date soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shut up ya moaners! We actually need this rain and it wont last. Friday will see everything settle down for a little while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

March was twice as wet as normal in the East, the cloudiest in 17 years and consistently too cold to leave the house without layers of winter clothing, not to mention it cost a fortune in heating the house. Add to that the fact that we're 7 weeks into spring and there's still not a single leaf on most trees and the grass is all brown and is not hard to see why people wanted the spell to end

I didn't mind it too much, the dry weather was nice to have but ill take a week of rain to bring nature back to life over a continuation of winter for a 6th month in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

snaps wrote: »
    what i miss most is being able to hang the washing out on the line. put washing out the other day and it got blown all over the garden.

You need good quality clothes pegs and not the ones out of the €2 shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Harps wrote: »
    March was twice as wet as normal in the East, the cloudiest in 17 years and consistently too cold to leave the house without layers of winter clothing, not to mention it cost a fortune in heating the house. Add to that the fact that we're 7 weeks into spring and there's still not a single leaf on most trees and the grass is all brown and is not hard to see why people wanted the spell to end

I didn't mind it too much, the dry weather was nice to have but ill take a week of rain to bring nature back to life over a continuation of winter for a 6th month in a row

Yeah, I'm struggling to understand how the cold spell has been reinvented as sunny?

The cold spell was sunniest in the west/north west I think, the east/south was pretty dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cold spells are really miserable for a lot of people who live in less well insulated homes, old people, etc

Heating bills were astronomical and extended way beyond normal peak heating season too which isn't nice for the household budget.

It also cost the state money in additional heating allowances for old people and increased health costs not to mention the cost to agriculture in terms of lost sheep in the north !

Farmers also haven't been able to use grazing land effectively as there's been no grass growth and that had implications for food costs.

Lots of reasons to complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I have no idea where people are getting the notion that March was a sunny month. It was an incredibly gloomy cold period with constant easterly chilly winds. Only towards the start of April do I remember some properly sunny days and even then they were freezing in the wind.

Btw for the poster above; Easter Sunday was totally cloudy for most of the country apart from the very extreme coastal fringes such as howth and dalkey - I remember vividly traveling from Kildare to Dunlaoghaire that day and being surprised to see clear blue skies over the Irish sea.

Look on the bright side - the cherry blossoms are only coming out properly now, the daffodils went into a state of suspension and are now in fine bloom, fruit trees that blossomed too early last year and then got hit are only beginning to bud now so the fruit crop may be good this year, the dry run of weather is good for farming and the level of ground moisture is not bad for golf either.

Solair wrote: »
    Cold spells are really miserable for a lot of people who live in less well insulated homes, old people, etc

Heating bills were astronomical and extended way beyond normal peak heating season too which isn't nice for the household budget.

It also cost the state money in additional heating allowances for old people and increased health costs not to mention the cost to agriculture in terms of lost sheep in the north !

Farmers also haven't been able to use grazing land effectively as there's been no grass growth and that had implications for food costs.

Lots of reasons to complain!
    I don't get it? It never gets cold in Ireland compared with countries at a similar latitude (Jan & Dec '10 were exceptions) We have hardly any snow cover for our latitude because of the Gulf Stream.
    There will always be excuses to hike up the price of food - I've heard 'em all, too wet, too dry, drought in Russia etc etc. The price of food is like oil, it will always go up and never down ....... profit.
    As for grass growth, Holland and Denmark are renowned for their very efficient dairy industry yet have much longer winters than we do.
    The losses of sheep in the north was tragic but didn't they know blizzard conditions were forecast for high ground? I did.
    edit: my gas bill arrived the other day, I was almost too frightened to open it but I was pleasantly surprised when it was no higher than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Joe Public wrote: »
    Look on the bright side - the cherry blossoms are only coming out properly now,...

Only in bud stage here...

563691_381051532008972_841711254_n.jpg

Give it another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Certainly strange to see the rain back, but cant really complain, we got a good run of dry weather.
    On the traditional calender there is only two weeks left of spring , sure the plants needn bother growing now, not worth their while. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was home in Ireland for a week at Easter and was really looking forward to seeing some Spring as I live in Finland. But it was the same weather and temperature. Its actually warmer here now than it was in Ireland when I was home. There was no grass for the animals at home... and they never run out of grass. Thankfully we had extra fodder, lucky in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

rc28 wrote: »
    I have no idea where people are getting the notion that March was a sunny month. It was an incredibly gloomy cold period with constant easterly chilly winds. Only towards the start of April do I remember some properly sunny days and even then they were freezing in the wind.

Btw for the poster above; Easter Sunday was totally cloudy for most of the country apart from the very extreme coastal fringes such as howth and dalkey - I remember vividly traveling from Kildare to Dunlaoghaire that day and being surprised to see clear blue skies over the Irish sea.

yes. because Ireland only extends a few miles outside Dublin... on either side

yes. because Ireland only extends a few miles outside Dublin... on either side
    :eek: <--- thats a very big yawn by the way.
    I seem to remember admiring brilliant satellite images and the whole country was cloudless and not just a "few miles outside Dublin... on either side" ??
    What I remember was the snow cover in Wicklow, the Mournes, the Antrim mts, the Sperrins and a blob just NW of Belfast (which I think is Divis Mountain? ) standing out in the strong spring sunshine.

Just check Met eireann's monthly report for March

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2013-Mar.pdf

Above average sunshine in March for West and Southwest and below elsewhere.

Lovely day! :) (when the sun is out, chilly when its cloudy)

mike65 wrote: »
    Lovely day! :) (when the sun is out, chilly when its cloudy)

absolutely peachy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I seem to remember admiring brilliant satellite images and the whole country was cloudless and not just a "few miles outside Dublin... on either side" ??
    What I remember was the snow cover in Wicklow, the Mournes, the Antrim mts, the Sperrins and a blob just NW of Belfast (which I think is Divis Mountain? ) standing out in the strong spring sunshine.

Not on Easter Sunday anyway, 100% cloud cover bar a few miles either side of Dublin!

tnI8v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Harps wrote: »
    Not on Easter Sunday anyway, 100% cloud cover bar a few miles either side of Dublin!

tnI8v.jpg

Cheers for that! As I said it was only sunny out over the Irish sea and the coastal fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Easter Sunday; visible; 1pm.

250168.png

New Moon

• Advertisement

I can still see a patch of snow on the mountains - fancy that after after a week of temperatures between 14 - 17c !!

Advertisement