Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

normal service resumed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

last bit of snow vanished weds night on the galtees

• Registered Users Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

March had 78.5 hours sun here in Loughlinstown versus average 111 . It was a pretty dull month.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Obvioulsy normal service has resumed! This is the first post on the weather forum in 24 hours!!! :eek: Last post was MTs forecast yesterday morning.
    Can't remember the last time I saw that? :P

Normal service light rain here this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

beautiful sunshine here today - the rollercoaster that is Irelands summer has begun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sunshine and then downpours is the order of the day here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Obvioulsy normal service has resumed! This is the first post on the weather forum in 24 hours!!!
    normal service alright, don't expect to see the sun shine for days on end in this useless gloomy climate that we have the misfortune to endure. :mad:
    goodbye.

FSXX00T_24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I don't think so, today after about 2pm should be bright with some sunshine in most places and feel warm and humid out in a moderate breeze. A month ago we'd have hopped on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't think so, today after about 2pm should be bright with some sunshine in most places and feel warm and humid out in a moderate breeze. A month ago we'd have hopped on that!

Yeah it's not so bad, but there's a forecast cold snap on the way. Which will mean below average temperatures and hail showers no doubt, and depending on winds some frost too. I hope it is shortlived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sun now out and its quite mild even close

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

mike65 wrote: »
    Sun now out and its quite mild even close

Ive got a reading of 17.9c in the back garden. Even the wind feels warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The 3pm reports from Cork look 'pure daycent'

Overcast but bright here in Dun Laoghaire, breezy yet muggy at 15C. Watch for the garden growth to go bonkers this week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't get it? It never gets cold in Ireland compared with countries at a similar latitude (Jan & Dec '10 were exceptions) We have hardly any snow cover for our latitude because of the Gulf Stream.
    There will always be excuses to hike up the price of food - I've heard 'em all, too wet, too dry, drought in Russia etc etc. The price of food is like oil, it will always go up and never down ....... profit.
    As for grass growth, Holland and Denmark are renowned for their very efficient dairy industry yet have much longer winters than we do.
    The losses of sheep in the north was tragic but didn't they know blizzard conditions were forecast for high ground? I did.
    edit: my gas bill arrived the other day, I was almost too frightened to open it but I was pleasantly surprised when it was no higher than normal.

---

Well, you'll find in a country like Ireland where farming practices, buildings, infrastructure, life styles are all adapted for a temperate oceanic climate that expects a lot of damp weather, that any interruption to this pattern is a big problem.

If you're prepared for long, cold, hard winters, then you'll survive. If you're not, you'll find major problems occur.

During the big cold snap a few years ago, many Irish and British heating systems simply couldn't cope due to things like relying on a continuous supply of mains water (which froze solid) for combi-boilers which have become very common place.

We even had houses flooded and destroyed because rather bizarrely in the UK and Ireland we have a huge cistern of water in the attic. That's totally unheard of elsewhere in Europe, the US etc.

If we're going to have more extreme weather more often, we're going to have to make some adaptations to our buildings, infrastructure, heating systems, farming practices, water storage infrastructure etc.

That being said, the price of food does go up and down depending on these climatic factors. We are very exposed to climate change as a species, much like any other species. We've just become a bit arrogant about it.
    They're not excuses, crops fail, grazing lands get frozen, land floods, winter goes on for too long, droughts happen.

At least in the developed world that just means your cornflakes are a few cent dearer or whatever. If you're in a developing country, that could mean no dinner for months.

---

I think the last few years have shown us how vulnerable Ireland is to even relatively minor climate change. We absolutely need to be hardening our infrastructure to it!

I'd argue that all carbon tax etc, should go directly into such projects.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldn't be surprised at all if somewhere hits 20 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Stunning in Cork today, as a poster mentioned above, the wind was actually warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I wouldn't be surprised at all if somewhere hits 20 tomorrow.

Id say Wicklow and Kilkenny are favored spots!

16.1 C here currently and rising, a mini foehn clearly in effect, very nice outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fecking lovely out! All over tomorrow though :mad:

It's only grand sure...lovely to see the plants coming to life the last few days...very quickly too.

normal service alright, don't expect to see the sun shine for days on end in this useless gloomy climate that we have the misfortune to endure. :mad:
    goodbye.

FSXX00T_24.jpg

Why take such a pessimistic view? It certainly isn't gloomy today

Certainly not cloudy here today !

TodayGraph.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

A high of 18.9c today at 16:21.
    It felt good

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

that wind was cool though.... a little bit too cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Why take such a pessimistic view? It certainly isn't gloomy today
    this is why I was ranting about the Irish climate, when spring arrives we tend to go backwards and it happens every spring. We're just about one of the coldest places in Europe now with May just around the corner.
    Could someone tell me when does spring begin and end in Ireland?
    Yes I know we can do nothing about it with the Atlantic Ocean beside us.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.gif

Advertisement