Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to get up and 'running' asap

• 17-04-2013 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

How are you all??

I'd like your thoughts on this:

I've just started an 8 month course in town, and I'm sick to the teeth of taking the bus. I've been thinking of getting a little scooter to zip in on.

I'm looking at a 50cc (I know, I'll be over-taken by grannies with zimmer frames!)

How quick can I realistically get myself in the saddle? In doing my research last night I was dismayed at 'discovering' this IBT thing?

Can I get going and have the IBT in the pipeline or does one have to have it done before?

I hear some insurers won't talk to you if you haven't done it and some will..

If I were to buy the bike this weekend how quickly can I get going?

Also I think that I may only be using the bike for the 8 months or so...

If the IBT is compulsory for all bikes, should I bite the bullet and get a 125cc?

Thanks

ILF

*also what level of protection go scooter riders generally wear?? I can't recall seeing any in full leathers!?

** excuse the laziness - i have a full B license but only as of 08 - so I would have to go for the IBT I see... still wondering can I get going regardless with the IBT in the pipeline or must that be done first?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

If you have the cash right now for it all you could in theory be riding 2 weeks after getting your Motorcycle LP. (It'll take about 2 weeks to arrive)

You MUST do IBT before you ride unsupervised on Public Roads..... (supervised meaning by a qualified instructor)

It doesn't matter if the insurers will talk to you, the IBT is what makes your Learner Permit "valid" for use on public roads.

I would say definitely get a geared bike and not a scooter, but that's me.

Scooter riders, I imagine, wear what they feel comfortably safe in. For me that would always mean clothing that won't rip on sliding along the ground.

It is quite expensive to start out, but remember the savings you'll make on bus fare and time once you are riding. The costs will be off set before 2 years is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

thanks mini - that's cleared a few things up for me. They don't make it easy to get going do they, probably not a bad thing I guess!?

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    thanks mini - that's cleared a few things up for me. They don't make it easy to get going do they, probably not a bad thing I guess!?

I'd guess the RSA's thinking is "Make it expensive and awkward > Fewer Bikers > No need to educate cagers > Fewer road deaths > ????? > Profit."

It's a bit of a shambles that we have to go through IBT, but Cagers don't have to do anything until just before they sit a test. Of course they are supposed to be supervised on public roads at all time by someone..... but look how well that works. It's the RSA basically just deciding not to educate car drivers that there ARE in fact motorcycles on the road.

Car drivers also have a shorter lessons period, only 12 hours compared to IBT's minimum 16.

So yeah, fcuk the RSA, they aren't doing this for our benefit, they'd much rather not have the inconvenience of headaches..... (That said, I would suggest anyone do IBT even if it wasn't mandatory)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

If you have the cash right now for it all you could in theory be riding 2 weeks after getting your Motorcycle LP. (It'll take about 2 weeks to arrive)

Just a quick note on this I know for a good few people it's taking about 4 weeks. . So best get started on it now rather than leaving it. You'll have to do a theory test too before you can apply for the LP, I'd suggest doing it anywhere to get a sooner date rather than just looking at the test center closest to you.

Oh and I agree on the 125 thing. Might as well. Nothing against scooters but a little ybr 125 would be perfect for town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

** excuse the laziness - i have a full B license but only as of 08 - so I would have to go for the IBT I see... still wondering can I get going regardless with the IBT in the pipeline or must that be done first?

That is separate from the motorcycle licence and you MUST complete the IBT before your motorcycle LP will legaly allow you to be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd guess the RSA's thinking is "Make it expensive and awkward > Fewer Bikers > No need to educate cagers > Fewer road deaths > ????? > Profit."

It's a bit of a shambles that we have to go through IBT, but Cagers don't have to do anything until just before they sit a test. Of course they are supposed to be supervised on public roads at all time by someone..... but look how well that works. It's the RSA basically just deciding not to educate car drivers that there ARE in fact motorcycles on the road.

Car drivers also have a shorter lessons period, only 12 hours compared to IBT's minimum 16.

So yeah, fcuk the RSA, they aren't doing this for our benefit, they'd much rather not have the inconvenience of headaches..... (That said, I would suggest anyone do IBT even if it wasn't mandatory)

It's a standardised EU licence and test now. Have a look at the mess the UK made of implementing it.

They forgot to get an imperial exemption and so they couldn't do the test on the roads as you where required to be doing 50km/h before the swerve which is 2mph over their speed limit

Riding a bike is more dangerous than driving a car so the extra training isn't too big a deal.

no I don't mind the training so much at all - but having had a look at insurance with liberty for a 00 Vespa PX 125cc they're quoting €975 insurance (I'm a first time rider) WTF!?? is this the norm? I've been in a cage on a full licence with them for nearly 7 years..

no I don't mind the training so much at all - but having had a look at insurance with liberty for a 00 Vespa PX 125cc they're quoting €975 insurance (I'm a first time rider) WTF!?? is this the norm? I've been in a cage on a full licence with them for nearly 7 years..

Yes, but you can get a discount by doing an assessment along with the IBT. Make sure to mention it to the instructor before you start.

What's your car insurance compared to the bike, considering that you've at least a 50% discount on the car and zero on the bike?

What age are you? I was quoted WAY below that at 23. Go to an IBT instructor who also does Liberty Assessments, as long as you don't fall off you should end up with at least 20% off.

28m

I've been a named driver for about 7 years with them - so the policy owner is not actually paying anything for me at this stage as the house and health is also with them

So the name of the game is buy the bike first, do all these assessments and the IBT and THEN see what the insurance will be?

I'm probably stating the obvious but I'm clearly a total green horn when it comes to these things, none of my mates have bikes either so no point of comparison.

cheers!

• Advertisement

So the name of the game is buy the bike first, do all these assessments and the IBT and THEN see what the insurance will be?

cheers!

That's mental a quote that price given your age.... check Aon and a few more....

Also, do the IBT first before you ever get a bike. That way you will be able to test ride whatever bikes you look at.

That's mental a quote that price given your age.... check Aon and a few more....

Also, do the IBT first before you ever get a bike. That way you will be able to test ride whatever bikes you look at.

I did it online, I'll give em a call - it did seem way off to me to be honest.

I did incur 2 speeding penalty points for speeding, my first two, less than 3 weeks ago...how much of an impact do 2 point have?

So the next move, get the learner permit and do the IBT?

Knowing absolutely no one who has a bike how on earth will I go about getting some bike time on a 125cc?

I did incur 2 speeding penalty points for speeding, my first two, less than 3 weeks ago...how much of an impact do 2 point have?

Knowing absolutely no one who has a bike how on earth will I go about getting some bike time on a 125cc?

You don't need to know what you are doing at the IBT... it's for beginners.

2 points don't have any real affect. Where you caught 2 weeks ago or did you get the letter from the RSA telling you you had points on your licence? The points aren't from the date of the offence they are from the date you get the letter. I got caught speeding in Aug, going to Kells at the fixed one on the N2:o, but didn't get points till Dec. No point in telling the insurance company you have points when you don't

That's what instructors are for.
    In your position I'd go for an unrestricted A licence and do all your lessons and test on a school bike, then you can get what ever you want once the bug has bitten, it shouldn't be that much more to get lessons on a school bike v's your own.

Del2005 wrote: »
    2 points don't have any real affect. Where you caught 2 weeks ago or did you get the letter from the RSA telling you you had points on your licence? The points aren't from the date of the offence they are from the date you get the letter. I got caught speeding in Aug, going to Kells at the fixed one on the N2:o, but didn't get points till Dec. No point in telling the insurance company you have points when you don't

That's what instructors are for.
    In your position I'd go for an unrestricted A licence and do all your lessons and test on a school bike, then you can get what ever you want once the bug has bitten, it shouldn't be that much more to get lessons on a school bike v's your own.

Good advice, I only got the points 3 weeks ago so I still don't have them :)

I think given the price ill have to do it in stages rather than splashing out on everything at once - will give me more time to get a better feel for what suits me best

Thought I'd be up an running for €1200 everything sorted - wishful thinking it would seem

Cheers you've all been really helpful!

ILF

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

You don't need to know what you are doing at the IBT... it's for beginners.

Agreed with this. That's the whole point of the IBT.

also on the insurance assessment there's more than one Instructor out there who offer it free with the IBT. So it ends up cutting a nice lump from the price of the insurance in the end if you go with one of them. I know of at least one in Waterford (Who I done mine with at the time) and one in Dublin (Who I currently work with) that have free assessments . I can Pm you who both are if you'd like, I don't think it's allowed to just post them on here.

Agreed with this. That's the whole point of the IBT.

also on the insurance assessment there's more than one Instructor out there who offer it free with the IBT. So it ends up cutting a nice lump from the price of the insurance in the end if you go with one of them. I know of at least one in Waterford (Who I done mine with at the time) and one in Dublin (Who I currently work with) that have free assessments . I can Pm you who both are if you'd like, I don't think it's allowed to just post them on here.

Hi that would be great - I'm in Dublin - still a long way from getting It all sorted but ill get there!

Cheers

Advertisement