Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling with toddler

Options
  • 17-04-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi just looking for some advice. Am thinking I would love to take up cycling again with my toddler this time but wondering if at 3 (nearly 4) if he is too old/tall for a seat on my bike? If not can anyone recommend which is best , front seat, back seat or the trailer type attachment?

And also which brand of bike would be best for all that. Only planning on small trips just for leisure and a bit of air and activity so not looking for state of the art racer (also budget is small :-()

thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have cycled with mine a few times. A friend gave us her seat, it was a back one.. like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_258207_langId_-1_categoryId_165476#tab3

It does up to 22kg (about age 6)

I have used the trailer ones too, and I found myself a bit nervous with them. Fine in super safe cycling areas like parks or amsterdam where the cycle tracks are seperate from the road, but they are so low it's tricky sometimes to see them in traffic. I'd be slow to use them in Ireland on roads.

Front one's I've never used.

Most kids I've seen on a bike was 5, in the netherlands.. One on front, one on crossbars, one on back, and two in a trailer. That guy must have had thighs of titanium.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KITTIPP

hi thanks for your reply. I was thinking the trailers seem a bit risky too, any advice on what kind of bike? assume a mountain bike type one is more suitable??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

KITTIPP wrote: »
    hi thanks for your reply. I was thinking the trailers seem a bit risky too, any advice on what kind of bike? assume a mountain bike type one is more suitable??

Sorry, mine is an ancient piece of junk. No idea what kind of bikes are on the market these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

We got a mountain bike and toddler seat and two helmets in the bike shop in artane for around 100 euro. Works great

• Registered Users Posts: 27 KITTIPP

Hi rosebush that is my price range all right! can you pm the name of the shop you bought it in ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

get the bik shop to fit it. that way you know its on correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

pwurple wrote: »
    It does up to 22kg (about age 6)
    My 3.5 yr son is already 19 kg, quite tall for a 3 year old and often taken for a 4-5 yr old.
    I have used the trailer ones too, and I found myself a bit nervous with them. Fine in super safe cycling areas like parks or amsterdam where the cycle tracks are seperate from the road, but they are so low it's tricky sometimes to see them in traffic. I'd be slow to use them in Ireland on roads.
    Over the last 3 years made in excess of 800km with the trailer and the little buddy inside. Fact the trailer is low and might be tricky to be spot by the cars in traffic jam but that's what a small flag is for.

As for the Irish roads - when cycling with the trailer I am being given much more space by the cars than riding alone. Drivers do put much more attention when seeing a trailer in their lane. Never had a problem, so far.

You see the great advantage of the trailer is when a child gets to sleep - you can leave him outside the shop and do some shopping. Can't be done with a seat as even the slightest move on the seat may end up badly on the floor with the bike.

Downsides are you need to be very vary tackling gates, doors, narrow alleys, reduce your speed when cornering (and I am saying keep it below 15 km/h which for some is the max speed achievable with the trailer on) and keep in mind your brakes have an extra 12kg+ of the load.

Over the three year period manage to rollover the trailer twice. In the first week was keeping to close to the kerbing and rode slightly too fast - left wheel bounced up on the kerb and the trailer went to its side. 10 months old fella was still in his place kept firmly with all the strapping. Only woke up to see what happened. The second time was actually 3 weeks ago - down the hill, too fast and then took the sharp left - left wheel went up and the trailer finished on the side. He was only: "Daddy, don't do that" :)

Happy bunnies we are.
    249959.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

At 3+ I would have thought they'd be cycling their own bike.

Something like this...
    http://www.trail-gator.com/

Depends what you are doing and the type of roads you are on, or off.

Advertisement