Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving baby to cot

Options
  • 17-04-2013 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Our little man at 6 weeks old is too big for the Moses basket. He doesn't sleep that we'll in it during the day and skew act we have to put him to sleep in our arms before moving him into it. This weekend we need to move him to his cot which I an dreading. Does anyone have any tips to make this transition easier?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

mine were all around the 6 month mark when I moved them but using the blankets from the basket with out washing them so it smells the same will help and put it in the same room that the basket is in so surroundings do not change should help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I moved my baby in around six weeks also, I think it worked well because she was too young to really know the difference.
    I started with just nights.
    You are right to do it now because with my son I left it much later and it was much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Perhaps but the sheets for the cot into your moses basket now so they get the smell on them. I used to always put a muslin cloth over the sheet where his head was to catch the spit up so if you do the same put a clean one underneath for the next few days.

Then heat the cot a little with a hot water bottle before putting him down so its not very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

If you follow the above advice shouldn't be a problem as baby is too young to know any different.

My fella slept in moses basket during day downstairs and in his normal big cot at night beside us. We moved him out of our room at 3 months and I think it was a good time for us and him as he wasn't really attached to sleeping in our room or having us there. Once we moved him into his own room he took all his naps in there in his cot and he seemed to nap better.

Having said all that, the advice is to have them sleep in the room with you til 6 months and most people would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I moved my son into his cot & own room at 11 weeks old out of sheer sleep deprived desperation as he would wake in our room everytime one of us would turn over in bed.
    I was a bag of nerves doing it & it took me awhile to get used to it but in hindsight it was the best thing we did as he slept so much better & of course so did we ;-)
    I don't think we did anything special at the time other than using the same blankets & gro bag.
    Try no to over think it would be my advice, babies that age are remarkable adaptable so long as you are relaxed & stick to the same bedtime routine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thanks. We'll move him to the cot on Friday night. For done reason, I am dreading it. Bad and all as sleep is at the moment, I know I can get 4-5 hours. I'm afraid it'll get worse when he has a new bed to contend with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

We moved our baby to his own cot in his own room at 9 weeks. best thing ever. We all (everyone in the house!) slept better and he was too young to know the difference. The worst part was having to get up and go into another room to settle him or give him a night feed. I had the baby monitor and I could even hear him breathe on it so i wasnt concerned really.

The first night will be a little scarey but after that you will be flying it! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am the opposite I find it hard to sleep in another room when they are so young!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Too

My 3 girls all went into their own room in a cot at 8 weeks. Number 2 took 2 years to sleep through the night but that's her temperament. No 1 and 3 both sleep for 10 hours at 3 months. Advice is 6 months in your room but I think this is all based on population studies rather than high level evidence. It's up to you but plenty of parents do it early.

Thanks. We moved him at 7 weeks and he's still waking every 3-4 hours for his bottle but ultimately I think he's having a sounder sleep. He won't keep the blankets on him (in the Moses we used to swaddle him) so we're putting him in a sleepsuit and grow bag tonight. The cot is in our room and I don't mind that at all. I'd say we won't move it out for another 2-3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

we had junior in our room for about a year.

when he was in the cot we got a divider for it so he couldnt move down. Found sleeping bags great until he learnt to open them and climb out of the cot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

We moved my little one into a cot when she outgrew her moses basket, which was at about 2 months. We didn't move her into her own room until 6 months though - no way could I have slept with the worry.

we had junior in our room for about a year.

when he was in the cot we got a divider for it so he couldnt move down. Found sleeping bags great until he learnt to open them and climb out of the cot :)

Where did you buy the divider?

Advertisement