Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Bioshock scary?

• 17-04-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all

I've had Bioshock(the first one) for a while, but I hate horror films/games. I've no problem with blood or gore but jumpy ghosty scenes freak me out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

no, it's not scary

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I never thought the games were scary, I've played all 3 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

You should try dead space or alan wake and play in the dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Not scary but there are a few moments that made me jump. The Boys of Silence also freaked me the f#ck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

No it's not.

But I might I recommend a delightful little romp called Amnesia, which will surely lull you into a joyous sense of bliss and nirvana.

For full effect, I'd advise you play it at night, alone. Just to make sure you can really feel the joy run through you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

bioshock has a few jumpy moments, not scary moments. youll be fine.

and amnesia is a fantastic game that one day i will finish, i swear. its mix of comedy and puzzles have kept me awake with wonder many a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Compared to the original game SystemShock 2 - this game isn't scary.

SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

StudentDad wrote: »
    Compared to the original game SystemShock 2 - this game isn't scary.

SD

The part in SS2 with the 3 cyborg ninjas. That had me on my toes, the mouse sensitivity was up on full for that.

BioShock 1 and 2 are not a patch on the scare factor compared to SS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

The part in SS2 with the 3 cyborg ninjas. That had me on my toes, the mouse sensitivity was up on full for that.

BioShock 1 and 2 are not a patch on the scare factor compared to SS2.

One of my favourite scary moments was being stuck in the cargo hold, a gun with 2 bullets and about to fall apart and scrounging around for nanites so I could hack one of the replicators all the while trying to avoid the bots that wanted to blow me up and those irritating little monkeys who had a fondness for packets of crisps :) Part of my problem was that I'd just copied over my most recent game save and it was either survive or go back a ridiculous amount of time in game and start again lol

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Without comparing it to anything else, the first hour or so does create a scary atmosphere, but then it drops off. I am a little baby when it comes to scary games/films though. You will be fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah system shock 2, you need a fancy gfx update, what a game.

OP try amnesia as others have suggested, really good game. Scream like a bitch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I played Amnesia with two friends and after a while I stopped talking my turn. I couldn't play it. I could only watch :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I thought Bioshock was going to be scary, like SS2, so I set difficultly to high to make it more scary, but it turns out they just double the enemy's hitpoints, so every fight turns into a long slog. Not a scary game.

If anyone does want scary, I'd suggest the new Slenderman game. Man, that thing is just full of raw, paranoid horror. Obviously a gimicky indie title but my God, the atmosphere.

No, I don't want to have to open that door, oh God don't make me look - what IS that noise was that a footstep behind me WAIT WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT AT THE WINDOW AAAGGGHHHHHHH MOMMY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bioshock did have a few creepy moments, but it's not a horror or generally scary game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I picked it up years ago after my friends telling me how scary it was. They lied to me, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

justryan wrote: »
    You should try dead space or alan wake and play in the dark

Feck that! Buy Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Lights off headphones on. I screamed like a 5 year old girl.

Edit: I should read threads before posting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Amnesia is 3.75 on gameolith.com at the moment
    I found the condemned games scary enough and dead space 1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,270 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mentally scarring more than scary I'd say :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Has a good atmosphere, some creepy bits but no not scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Peggle was scarier tbfh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

Thanks everyone. I also appreciate the lack of "you're a pussy etc" comments too!!!

I'll man up (even though I hate that phrase) and play it next.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm on my first play-through of Bioshock (and i'm an absolute pansy when it comes to scary things). The game isn't Scary per-say. There's the odd Jump scare but it certainly is creepy. The game has a very unnerving atmosphere and knows how to create tension (the part where the lights go out and you can hear the enemies screaming/those noises the Big Daddy's make)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,097 ✭✭✭✭briany

"You killed my Charlie!" "I'm gonna kill you for Charlie! I'll kill you!"

- Psychotic Splicer

Good times....

Advertisement