Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants that are safe and unattractive to dogs?

• 17-04-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have grown veggies and herbs for the past few years in raised beds. I adopted two dogs before Christmas and they have the full run of the garden... and lets just say just about anything standing before they arrived has bit the dust. Before I convert the raised beds to rose beds or lawn (which are what I think my options are) I was wondering if anyone have recommendations on plants that are non toxic to the dogs but also don't attract them - especially anything edible for me - herbs or veg or fruit. The other alternative would be to try to fence the raised beds but keep them easily accessible for planting and weeding - any bright ideas would be very welcome, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I think pretty much any area of fresh earth is going to attract dogs, no matter what you plant they're going to want to investigate. Could you cover the raised beds with something like an enviromesh tunnel? Or if you decide to plant something permanent like rose bushes you could rig a temporary chicken wire fence to keep them out until the area has matured.

I recently got rid of my raised beds due to a back problem. A friend helped me rig some benches made from 8ft timber planks raised up with some hollow blocks. I'm using various containers to grown all my veggies now and my dogs can't get at them so easily. Something like that might work for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

Thanks bluecherry - I have never used the tunnels - does anyone know if they are robust? I don't mean for a full frontal assault by the dogs (that required concrete LOL) but enough to cope with them running around? It would be lovely to be able to grow something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

They're fairly robust. The trick is to sit it inside your raised bed and the sides will help stabilise it. This is the one I have:

http://www.organiccatalogue.com/Crop-Protection-Cloches-and-Tunnels/c316_178/p529/ENVIROMESH-TUNNEL-KIT/product_info.html

The mesh is wide enough that you can place small rocks around the edges to keep it down, although I found the hoops a little flimsy. This site has a few different types in various sizes that might suit you better:

https://www.quickcrop.ie/shop/subcat/plant-protection/page-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

bluecherry, you are a star, thanks a mill, they are not too expensive either so worth a go. Hope your back is ok

Advertisement