Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a warehouse conversion

Options
  • 17-04-2013 11:35am

Hi everyone,

I've been having a look on Gumtree and have seen some really gorgeous warehouse conversions to share with randomers. They seem like good value (400-600 pcm for massive room + workspace) and look amazing. Has anyone lived in one? I suppose the massive downsides would be the number of people living there (when would you ever get to wash your clothes etc), possible security issues (all open plan, no locks on bedrooms, not sure who you're living with) and that they're not in the best areas, but it would be great to have so much space (I work from home) and possibly nice, friendly people to hang out with. Any experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Personally I'd be very wary of any shared accommodation involving non-lockable bedrooms, unless I had no valuables whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Hi everyone,

I've been having a look on Gumtree and have seen some really gorgeous warehouse conversions to share with randomers. They seem like good value (400-600 pcm for massive room + workspace) and look amazing. Has anyone lived in one? I suppose the massive downsides would be the number of people living there (when would you ever get to wash your clothes etc), possible security issues (all open plan, no locks on bedrooms, not sure who you're living with) and that they're not in the best areas, but it would be great to have so much space (I work from home) and possibly nice, friendly people to hang out with. Any experiences?

I suspect the reality is very different from how we probably imagine it. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to live in that way. Personally the lack of privacy and the potential security issues would put me off. Also not being able to close the door on a nutjob i live with would drive me insane. My experience of shared accommodation is that most people I come across are inconsiderate, loud and dirty. That's why I haven't shared in years. Imagining living in a flat with former flatmates and no doors gives me nightmares!

• Fysh wrote: »
    Personally I'd be very wary of any shared accommodation involving non-lockable bedrooms, unless I had no valuables whatsoever.

I've been living like that for the last 8+ years, with the exception of 18 months sharing a one-bed with just my OH. I worry about valuables but most other people think I'm paranoid!
    Playboy wrote: »
    I suspect the reality is very different from how we probably imagine it. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to live in that way. Personally the lack of privacy and the potential security issues would put me off. Also not being able to close the door on a nutjob i live with would drive me insane. My experience of shared accommodation is that most people I come across are inconsiderate, loud and dirty. That's why I haven't shared in years. Imagining living in a flat with former flatmates and no doors gives me nightmares!

I think most of them do have doors, and a couple I've seen have doors that lock, which I imagine would help a lot. It's more the living/working spaces that are open - just one big cavernous space. I totally know what you mean about flatmates - I had an awful one last time I lived in London but have had some really nice ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Big, wide open spaces = horrendously expensive to heat in wintertime.

I reckon the reality would be far removed from the Andy Warhol's Factory fantasy.

• serrity wrote: »

I reckon the reality would be far removed from the Andy Warhol's Factory fantasy.

It'd be just for a few months, mostly over the summer and early autumn (forgot to add).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Hi everyone,

I love the idea of living in a warehouse conversion! You'd have the same issues about washing/security if living with strangers in a normal house/flat.
    Fysh wrote: »

I've not had a lockable bedroom in any of the 3 flats I've lived in (wish I did in the last one though :mad:). If you live with people who are respectful of your privacy and belongings, it's grand.
    serrity wrote: »

This would be my main concern with it.

If it's just for a few months, you like the place and it's within budget, go for it!

• I love the idea of living in a warehouse conversion! You'd have the same issues about washing/security if living with strangers in a normal house/flat.

They are definitely gorgeous to be in. I lived in a small one in NYC during my J1 (just 4 people) and the sense of space is amazing. My worry is that most of the London ones seem to house between 6 and 14 people - many more tenants than your average flat and presumably with only one washing machine!
    I've not had a lockable bedroom in any of the 3 flats I've lived in (wish I did in the last one though :mad:). If you live with people who are respectful of your privacy and belongings, it's grand.

Me neither. I don't know why it's not really 'done', especially when you have strangers moving in together. Any time I've asked if I can put a lock on, the landlord has said no, which leads to worrying if there's even one person in the house you don't quite trust 100% or who has friends over a lot.
    This would be my main concern with it.

If it's just for a few months, you like the place and it's within budget, go for it!

Definitely thinking about it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

When I was flat-hunting last year I saw an amazing flat in West Hampstead. It used to be Ravi Shankar's flat. Not a warehouse conversion but the penthouse of a fab mansion block. There were six people living there (one moving out) and it was so big with lots of nooks and crannies (and a pet gerbil!) that you'd never feel crowded there.

Didn't get the room :( Love where I am now though so it's OK :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Dean0088 wrote: »

No deposit required? Seems odd, can't say for sure if it's legit like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Regardless of how legit it may be or how cool it looks, I'd be apprehensive enough about that area of London personally...

Chalk it down, there were three youngfellas stabbed in that area alone over the weekend. Tottenham is a saucy place no doubt about it. That having been said, it's perfectly possible to live there hassle-free; if you mind your business in this city people generally won't say boo to you.

Jamey wrote: »
    Regardless of how legit it may be or how cool it looks, I'd be apprehensive enough about that area of London personally...

Haha

I think it's one step above sleeping in an actual warehouse tbh.

If you're in that 'crowd' I guess it might be cool to live there but I think, in reality, coming in the front shutter after a long day of work, meandering through an industrial estate to sleep on your mattress in a room with CAT5 cabling overhead would get old, real fast.

Haha

I think it's one step above sleeping in an actual warehouse tbh.

If you're in that 'crowd' I guess it might be cool to live there but I think, in reality, coming in the front shutter after a long day of work, meandering through an industrial estate to sleep on your mattress in a room with CAT5 cabling overhead would get old, real fast.

As would the insufferable pseudo-artists (read "smelly hippies") that you'd have to live with.

Also one of the photos shows someone after plonking an old toilet bowl on the shelf. Mad characters these.

FTA69 wrote: »
    As would the insufferable pseudo-artists (read "smelly hippies") that you'd have to live with.

Also one of the photos shows someone after plonking an old toilet bowl on the shelf. Mad characters these.

Hang on, I'll Instagram that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭brónaim cád??

It looks pretty cool to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

If you had the right crowd then id imagine you would have a brilliant time. Otherwise its just more or less a fancy hostel.

Getting 10 or 12 friends to all go over together to rent one would be cool. For a few months or whatever....

But I can't imagine living in an industrial building that looks like it was DIY fitted out for human dwelling would be a great experience. Imagine the draughts. Heating would cost a bomb too, in winter especially.

It also multiplies the 'house share' in terms of numbers. Depending on what kind of bunch you wind up living with your experience could be good or bad.

Advertisement