Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running on empty

Options
  • 17-04-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was 20 minutes into an easy 45 minute run this morning when I realised that I had been up for 2 hours without taking on any food or fluids before starting my run. I didn't take anything on-board during the run either.

I recall hearing before that if you don't get out running within an hour of getting up that you should not run on empty as it can be damaging. Anyone know if this is the case and would it be applicable to an easy run?

My HR spiked for the whole run in what is zone 6. RPE was fine though so I ignored HR for the run and ran off feel.

I also had a toughish bike last night with 2 15 minute efforts at FTP.

I felt fine after and during the run. I had a big bowl of porridge with a banana and some protein within 20mins of completing the run.

So after all that, I'm wondering if people have any insights in to the potential harm of running on empty after being up for 2 hours. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you're endurance training, then there are huge benifits to be had by training on empty. This comes up for discussion in the Athletics forum quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I believe the theory behind is you learn your body to use fat as a source of energy, as opposed to glycogen.

I do this quite regulary (some of it down to laziness and trying to get the last few minutes in bed), I try and not eat from 10 the night before and just go.
    if feeling adventurours I will have a black coffee to give that extra kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks guys. I know there are benefits and have found over time from practicing it that there are benefits.

I'm wondering are there any downsides to be aware of when you wait too long before training on empty. I recall Barry Murray mentioning that you should only train on empty if you can start within an hour of getting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

pgibbo wrote: »
    I recall Barry Murray mentioning that you should only train on empty if you can start within an hour of getting up.

I wonder if that changes based on the amount of sleep you get?

Normal night - 8 hours , possibly 10/11 hours fasting since last meal if out within an hour.

Sleep with kids - 6 hours gives you a bigger window of opportunity? Extra couple of hours hanging about.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

I remember Barry Murphy saying get your stuff ready the night before and go within 15-20 mins of waking, quick espresso also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I wonder if that changes based on the amount of sleep you get?

Normal night - 8 hours , possibly 10/11 hours fasting since last meal if out within an hour.

Sleep with kids - 6 hours gives you a bigger window of opportunity? Extra couple of hours hanging about.

6 hrs ??? you lucky lucky lucky [EMAIL="b@stard"]b@stard[/EMAIL] !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

6 hrs ??? you lucky lucky lucky b@stard !!!!

Not continuous, definitely not continuous with my kids. :)

Advertisement