Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a business bank account to set up as a sole trader?

Options
  • 17-04-2013 11:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

If I set up as a sole trader do i need a business bank account or can I just set up my own personal current a/c?

Alternatively could I use my husbands Bank account to accept bank transfers or to lodge cheques into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

It is generally considered best practice to set up a separate business bank account. Business transactions should normally be kept separate from your own personal affairs.

However this may be impractical particularly if the business is very small with just a few transactions.

Regards

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

So the simple answer is no, but a separate one is a good idea. Some banks offer free banking for a year to two to startups, might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

Set up seperate business account all the way.It keep things clean and tidy.

When you open the bank account it will be for a sole trader.
    So it will be eg. your name trading as pennypitstop.

This means you will also be able to accept cheques in your own name or your trading name. Which comes in handy too.

One other thing in order to open a business bank account you need to register the business name first. Banks need the registration certificate. It cost 20euro at the www.cro.ie.

Good luck.

Advertisement