Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinach seddlings acting droopy !!

• 17-04-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I've had my seedlings in propagator on a windowsill for the last 4 weeks and they are now about 5" tall or long as they are quite droopy, have never grown spinach before so don't know what they are menat to be like.

The catch 22 is that when I take the lid off the propagator they start dying (for want of a better term) within an hour, they go really droopy. The other side is is that they are too big for the propagator now with the leave pushing off the top and sides.

It seems they cannot survive without the lid.

Is a heat issue?

If it is how do I get around this problem without killing them? They seem happy with the lid on but obviously this cannot continue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Spinach is generally a hardy crop...You dont need to germinate it in a propagator....It is generally directly sown, altho it can be sown in modules and then transplanted...

So, if I was you I would go again and sow outside directly or in modules...Do you have a coldframe or greenhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Agree with Technophobe, they would be a cool weather crop like lettuce and dont like it too hot. Yours have become too accustomed to their comfy surroundings and are very delicate. It's up to you, but personally i would leave them where they are for the moment and remove the lid. Do it during the day time when it's warm. They will flop but within a couple of hours they should perk up. Then you can gradually harden them off and toughen them up.
    But it's your risk :)
    But whatever you do sow more. If you use the propagator, get them out as soon as they germinate. Or sow direct outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Spinach is generally a hardy crop...You dont need to germinate it in a propagator....It is generally directly sown, altho it can be sown in modules and then transplanted...

So, if I was you I would go again and sow outside directly or in modules...Do you have a coldframe or greenhouse?

No, I'm sowing my in propagators indoors.

Will try more and get them out ASAP

Thanks

Advertisement