Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berney Saddles - Olympic or General Purpose?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Mmm not sure about that Olympic at all!! I'm not a huge berneys fan myself (I find the seats very flat) but have ridden in a good few as friends have them. They are super quality saddles and their after sales service is fab, I'm just very attached to my Stubben!

What are you planning on doing mostly in your riding? Personally I don't like gp saddles, I think they're too in the middle! I have a jumping saddle and a dressage saddle (bough the dressage one v cheap) and prefer to have them for each discipline. That said I had the Stubben jumping saddle for years before I bought the dressage and never had any problem doing flatwork in it.

Would you consider the berneys international instead? Just to throw a spanner in the works :) its not as forward cut as the mark 2 international so could still do flatwork in it comfortably but would prob bribe a better position and security for jumping than the gp, but more versatile for flatwork than the Olympic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I use the Olympic saddle, it's my absolute favourite saddle! I always feel so disconnected from the horse in a normal gp saddle so I opted for the Olympic close contact.

It has no saddle flaps and uses dressage billets so a dressage girth is needed and you will feel so close to the horse.

Mine is a 17 inch (wish I got a 16) and is a narrow fit and my Arab mare loves it, we've tried normal Bernies gp, wintecs, stubben and even made to measure saddlen to her measurements, and both of us much prefer the Olympic by Bernies.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

I had a Berneys International & loved it - had to sell it though cause it didnt fit my horse anymore :(

But it was so comfortable and a good seat for jumping but also good for hacking out it etc.

Wasnt the best for dressage cause it puts your leg quite far forward, but a fantastic jumping saddle - always felt so secure in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Thanks for all the super replies!!
    I think the olympic saddle is gone out of the running but has been replaced by the international :)

There is so much choice, I wish I could buy them all :(

Ok just to throw a spanner in the works, I have now COMPLETELY changed my mind- was down in berneys over the weekend and tried their new Olympic international, it's not on the website as only developed in the last 6 months but it is AMAZING! I brought down my old saddle to be reflocked(Stubben Siegfried cs) and it turns out its actually too wide so can't be reflocked. I told him what I would like (deep seat, knee and thigh blocks, security overall as I am riding a young horse) and he literally picked out two saddles which oddly enough were the normal international and the new Olympic which is a mono flap close contact. I'll hopefully be going down to get one at the weekend and have it on a weeks trial so will check back in here once I've had a ride in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Ok just to throw a spanner in the works, I have now COMPLETELY changed my mind- was down in berneys over the weekend and tried their new Olympic international, it's not on the website as only developed in the last 6 months but it is AMAZING! I brought down my old saddle to be reflocked(Stubben Siegfried cs) and it turns out its actually too wide so can't be reflocked. I told him what I would like (deep seat, knee and thigh blocks, security overall as I am riding a young horse) and he literally picked out two saddles which oddly enough were the normal international and the new Olympic which is a mono flap close contact. I'll hopefully be going down to get one at the weekend and have it on a weeks trial so will check back in here once I've had a ride in it!

Interesting. I'm in the market for a new saddle too and I'm looking for exactly the same thing as you! Wonder if I can afford it though - any idea of price point?

ok now im just being annoying :) postponed getting the berneys this weekend as i had to go meet someone who bought my old saddle, and in the meantime have heard a lot of negative reviews of the close contact. negative impact on position has been a major thing people have told me about it. Im now considering going all out and investing in a new version of the saddle i just sold (in the correct size) as that way i know there's no chance of being disappointed! Valentina, the berneys saddle is €975 - its only recently developed so as far as i know they dont have any secondhand ones. the stubben is €1300. my horse better turn out to be worth it cos i could nearly buy a new one with that...

Advertisement