Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does baby start to get upset when you leave them

Options
  • 17-04-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

My little fella is 8.5 mths and the mother in law minds him 3 days a week and has done for the past 2.5mths. She keeps telling me that there will come a point where he will cry when I leave for work in the mornings and that she's dreading it.

When is this supposed to happen and is there anyone that never experienced this with their baby/toddler?

I think at this point he must be aware that I go off sometimes but still come back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I started my LO at nursery when she was 11 months and never really had problems with her. At 13 months we had about 3 or 4 days of her clinging to me as I handed her over but she never really cried.
    She's 16 months now and runs into nursery every morning. It's like she can't wait to get rid of me :)

My mother minded kids for years and some of them never cried when left. I think it depends on the child and possibly how young they are when first left with a childminder/at nursery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Seperation anxiety is a developmental phase somewhere between 9 and 20 months. Some get it worse than others. It's totally normal. Sometimes it's just a bit of clinginess for a couple of days, for other kids it's total hysterics.

We had a small bit of clinginess... around the 10 month mark, even though she was in creche from 5 months old. I made sure to always say goodbye, rather than sneaking off. It passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My daughter was absolutely fine, at childminder since 6mths old a couple days a week until just after 2 yrs old, where we've had about 2mths of tantrums when she was dropped over. We turned to distraction, as soon as we would get there we'd distract her in the playroom and I would escape quickly. Even when she did cry, it often lasted only a couple minutes after I left. So if it does come to it at any stage, both you and the minder shouldn't worry too much and not make a big deal of it, too much cuddling and soothing can just drag everything longer, just get her distracted as best she can and it will pass eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Ok I won't worry about it so. If it happens it happens.

She must have had bad experiences with kids doing this in the past. I always make sure to say goodbye to him and he usually smiles at me. He's far more interested in my mil's dog to pay any attention to us mere humans anyway

Advertisement