Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6th Year students last term - what is it like in your school?

• 17-04-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Now that the orals have kicked off, regular classes have gone by the wayside in my school. I don't know what it'll be like tomorrow (no orals for my students) but the french and german orals this week have been really disruptive. The students are supposed to be out of class just before their oral test, so with students waiting for their turn and students in the oral exam we should have about 8 students out of class at any time. So far I've had classes where 2 or 3 out of 25 turn up. In some cases they have been out Mon/Tue/Wed and have just come in for about an hour, done their test and then gone home again.
    With the Irish orals next week, then other practical subjects coming up over the next few weeks, not to mention writing up projects etc for some subjects it just seems to be unusually chaotic this year.
    What is it like in other schools? Do you just write off the last few weeks of term or do you keep them in class or in study right up to the end?
    Just curious.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ours have their graduation the third week in May and they go after that. Almost every day of the last week one teacher or another has a crowd in for intensive revision.
    Teachers scheduled for the 6th year classes who are 'not doing anything' generally get caught for substitution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

in class til the end, anyone coming and going must follow school procedure with notes, uniform etc. Can be a battle but its worth keeping on top of them as long as the DP is willing to chase them.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's the parents who are bringing them in and collecting them, knowing (I presume) that normal class is going on. I'm just continuing with however many I have.

Also I use Edmodo so those who are missing have no excuse not to keep on top of the work/notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Few out over the last few days in my 6th year group.

Notes go on Moodle.
    The course is finished since Feb anyway so we're just revising.

It's their LC - I'm not gonna worry myself unduly if they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Classes as normal for next 5 weeks, up to graduation. This means full uniform, notes for absences and usual routine for all. Things taper off after graduation day on 22 may. 6th year teachers still go to class however for those who continue to attend school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

Ours is officially class as normal until they graduate around May 20/21st but they are coming and going with orals and practicals and its a bit messy and frustrating. Some teachers bring them in for extra classes after they graduate if they choose to (and if the students agree to come in) but otherwise they are gone once they graduate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

dory wrote: »
    It's the parents who are bringing them in and collecting them, knowing (I presume) that normal class is going on. I'm just continuing with however many I have.

Also I use Edmodo so those who are missing have no excuse not to keep on top of the work/notes.

Edmodo for me too. I've got a very weak group of maths students however who desperately need the class contact time, both because they aren't finished the course and because they need to practice under supervision where they can get help. The attendance is driving me nuts atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

TheDriver wrote: »
    in class til the end, anyone coming and going must follow school procedure with notes, uniform etc. Can be a battle but its worth keeping on top of them as long as the DP is willing to chase them.....
    This is what I think we owe them. Unfortunately nobody chases them in my school. Even if they are mostly over 18, they are basically kids and need the structure of the school day. What I am seeing now is the less prepared students staying away, probably codding themselves that they'll get more done at home. The problem is that that becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy for the better students, because the school environment is so disjointed and unstructured that the hours they spend in school are wasted.

I have a weakish maths class and while we have technically completed the course - they need more tuition to bring it all together. They are supposed to be in school till graduation at the end of the 3rd week of May and after that, like some of you said, scheduled intensive classes with various teachers. I've done this in the past, but I really don't think I could be arsed for this lot who are just taking the p*ss at the moment.

Back in the day when I did my language orals we got out of class 30 mins before our scheduled time and with delays and whatnot, we probably missed an hour of classtime. Some of my 6th years stay at home they day before and the day of their oral until their scheduled time (probably just working themselves into a non-productive panic about what should be a straightforward 15 minute talk) and then they go home afterward because they were so stressed that they are wrecked!!? I want to tell them to cop on but resist because, well, I'm not a language teacher and so what do I know? Are the orals like this in other schools too or are we just indulging our 6th years too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

Edmodo for me too. I've got a very weak group of maths students however who desperately need the class contact time, both because they aren't finished the course and because they need to practice under supervision where they can get help. The attendance is driving me nuts atm.
    Edmodo seems great and would be perfect for now. Unfortunately, I had great intentions of setting it up for the last term over Easter but never did it.
    That can be my new years resolution for next september!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

derb12 wrote: »
    Edmodo seems great and would be perfect for now. Unfortunately, I had great intentions of setting it up for the last term over Easter but never did it.
    That can be my new years resolution for next september!

Don't get me wrong, I still forget to put stuff up etc. sometime those few minutes just aren't there during the so I forget. It's most active around exam times tho which is fine because usually there's no correction/copies etc that week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

I've set up edmodo because of this thread. It's a great idea! Especially for me, as I'm rarely far from a computer, and often forget to say things in class. Would be handy to get assignments etc up the night before, at least then I can't forget to mention them!

On topic, one school I taught in had graduation in early May, and the 6th years were free to choose after that whether they came in or not. Most came in, and as it was 'optional' discipline problems were reduced to zero. If they were there, they were there to work.

Advertisement