Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angling Gear in Aldi tomorrow, 18 April.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

The float pack for 4.49 is good value

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

I paid 40 euro for the same wellies in woody's.They are made by fladen in woody's but they have the same sole so they must be from the same maker. They are very comfortable, easy on the feet for all the walking and for me very easy to pull on in the middle of the night if i buzzer goes. Well worth 20 quid.
    Last week i caught 3 carp on pop up boilies with a little pva bag of halibut pellets from aldi. Not one of my other more expensive baits touched. Il be stocking up tomorrow anyway.Although its seems to be different stock from last year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I will have a look at them tomorrow. On the link they also have reading glassed at 2.99. I may get a few pairs as I pay 9.99 in my local chemist for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Would those rods be any good for a complete novice?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Would those rods be any good for a complete novice?

Should be adequate. I got a spinning rod in Aldi a couple of years ago and it works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

got green bag, looks good quality 15 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

The fly rods are useless - I met a few guys on the river bank one day trying out the aldi fly rod - it was like a 7 weight rod with a 4 or 5 weight line. Impossible to cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

got green bag, looks good quality 15 euro

i have one myself from last year. great buy for the price. very large capacity and tons of comparments.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

okedoke wrote: »
    The fly rods are useless - I met a few guys on the river bank one day trying out the aldi fly rod - it was like a 7 weight rod with a 4 or 5 weight line. Impossible to cast.

I full agree with you Okedoke.

I had 2 chaps out with me for casting lessons today, very proud of their new Aldi fly rods.
    I found it very hard to break it to the boys that their rods were really not up to scratch, but even as a very experienced caster I struggled to get a half decent line out.
    Simply the rods have no backbone, they flex to the butt and have an abnormally slow unflexing time and a horrendously slow recovery time.

If you are not able to cast, this rod may seem fine to you.... as a beginner you probably couldnt even cast with a sage or a loomis, yet any experienced caster will still struggle to get a satisfactory line out with this set-up.

Really bad value for money, more of a hinderance to beginners and will probably demotivate more people rather than encourage them into the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

I full agree with you Okedoke.

I had 2 chaps out with me for casting lessons today, very proud of their new Aldi fly rods.
    I found it very hard to break it to the boys that their rods were really not up to scratch, but even as a very experienced caster I struggled to get a half decent line out.
    Simply the rods have no backbone, they flex to the butt and have an abnormally slow unflexing time and a horrendously slow recovery time.

If you are not able to cast, this rod may seem fine to you.... as a beginner you probably couldnt even cast with a sage or a loomis, yet any experienced caster will still struggle to get a satisfactory line out with this set-up.

Really bad value for money, more of a hinderance to beginners and will probably demotivate more people rather than encourage them into the sport.

jaysus... lucky you that got to whip a sage or gary L into submission as a beginner.....

not me- I had an old glass rod back in the day to learn on....as my old man says (and I now happen to agree) if you can learn to throw a line with a telegraph pole -anything better is easier.

fly angling snobbery is not something you are born with but one that can be acquired over a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

dardevle wrote: »
    jaysus... lucky you that got to whip a sage or gary L into submission as a beginner.....

not me- I had an old glass rod back in the day to learn on....as my old man says (and I now happen to agree) if you can learn to throw a line with a telegraph pole -anything better is easier.

fly angling snobbery is not something you are born with but one that can be acquired over a number of years.

Where's the Snobbery in saying you tried something and thought it was Crap ? and where did he say he began with a sage or GaryL ?

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

dardevle wrote: »

Nope,
    I started with an old second hand mustad glass rod, moved up through to abu, silstar, penn, daiwa whisker fly 98, shimano, flextec, orvis, airflo, bruce and walker, lazlo elnetti (custom), hardy, Loomis GLX and native run, sage z axis and 2 tcrs.
    I never once said that I used Loomis or Sage as a beginner, I merely alluded that any beginner would even struggle to throw a good line with a quality rod as they have not yet developed the timing, muscular dexterity or co-ordination to get the best out of ant fly fishing outfit.

Possibly, but it is not easy. Quality rods and POS rods have totally different actions and responses to forces exerted onto them. This determines the recovery time, depth of loading, length of stroke and arc and speed of same stroke.
    It is very difficult to change quickly from a tip action to butt action rod and it takes a very talented caster to do so and make the necessary changes to get one system working when so much muscle memory and timing has been positively conditioned after years of using the other type of set-up.

Unfortunately, most of the quality rods are rather expensive and not everybody can justify the expenditure on same, and that is very understandable. Me, I make my living as a casting instructor and angling guide and appreciate the quality and higher performing rods.
    As a professional I believe that I can voice my opinion here (as we all can) and state that I believe the cheaper Aldi etc. type of rod set-up are very poor value for money and will not aid any beginner or novice as their action is so floppy and soft that it does not respond sufficiently to allow for the learning of the physics of the cast and allow for controlled rod unloading.

Excuse me, but let us not confuse the identification and appreciation of quality  goods with snobbery.....
    I will call it as it is and for the record, the Lidl fly rods from a few years ago are much better than the current aldi ones.......  Am I still a snob now???:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm going fishing for the first time next month with a mate who's got a bit of experience.

I bought the all round telescopic rod in Aldi, my mate reckons it should do the job.

We're going down to Inish Beg in Cork, I've no idea what sort of fish I have a chance of catching but I would actually love to catch a crab to eat. Would I have any chance of catching one down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Ush1 wrote: »
    I bought the all round telescopic rod in Aldi, my mate reckons it should do the job.

I hate when Aldi/Lidl advertise "all round rods", as there is no such thing!

thats not a dig at you Ush1!

I hate when Aldi/Lidl advertise "all round rods", as there is no such thing!

thats not a dig at you Ush1!

Ha that's alright. What's my chances of catching a crab with it?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Ha that's alright. What's my chances of catching a crab with it?:o

You've more chance of catching them from a toilet seat :pac:
    If you see one, hit it over the head with the rod. Other than that I'd say slim to none. See here :)

dmc17 wrote: »
    You've more chance of catching them from a toilet seat :pac:
    If you see one, hit it over the head with the rod. Other than that I'd say slim to none. See here :)

So I'd need a crab trap. Would Baltimore be a good spot for catching them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

Yeah you'd need some sort of pot I'd say. Not familiar with Baltimore but I'd imagine they could be got in most areas. A mate of mine could get them by free diving down and picking them up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Mc nulty used to catch plenty of crabs in baltimore. Good size too lol

Advertisement