Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second chance fees/grant query Midwifery

Options
  • 17-04-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Just found out about this second chance and wondering where I can find out more information. I left Midwifery in Trinity after 1st year due to financial difficulties. I would love the chance to return and finish.
    Would I have to do the aptitude test and interview again? Am I too late for sept 2013 application?
    Any info greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Hello,

what year did you leave and did you leave or defer? I think that for most courses there is a three year grace period from the time that you leave. If you come back before that time is up then you can continue where you left off. After that it is at the discretion of the individual school that you study in. You should contact them directly to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I left in 2009. As far as I can tell from what I've read, is that to qualify for the free fees or grant, its only applicable after 5 years? Which for me would be term 2013/2014. So I'll get in touch with the college and see what they say.
    Or I'm presuming I can just apply to other colleges providing this course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Hi there,
    That's great about the grant. I would get back in touch with your college about going back to them. However I think it's too late to apply as a mature student to other colleges for the 2013/2014 academic year. The closing date for mature entry was 1st February. Mature applicants can enter a change of mind after that date and change the order of the courses that they have applied for but can't make a new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You would be more likely to get into TCD as you have a history with them. You can also speak to the other colleges about advanced entry, i.e entering into 2nd year which usually means applying directly to the college instead of CAO.
    However if they want you to apply via the mature student route to repeat first year you are more than likely too late for 2013 entry.

You might have an option with your Leaving Cert points. If you have the points for your courses you might be able to make a late application to first year, via CAO, based on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I emailed TCD mature student office yesterday and they replied this morning. Said I would have to go through aptitude and interview process again but still couldn't guarantee acceptance. And too late for this year's application aswell.
    So I have a year to get organised and try for 2014. But might look at other courses too and weigh up my options and make sure I pick the right course for my future prospects!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

I know that you said you got on to TCD mature student office but I would get on to TCD school of Nursing & Midwifery directly, they may allow you to rejoin the program at 2nd yr, even though I think there is an An Bord Alt rule that the degree must be completed within 6yrs of registering in 1st yr which covers someone to take 2 yrs out or repeat 2 yrs, also they would require you to do some extra refresher placement. Otherwise, Id definately contact them and they may permit you direct entry into 1st yr without sitting aptitude test etc. Some rejoined our group 3rd yr UCC this yr after taking few yrs out and last yr someone joined 2nd yr after 2 yrs out. Best of luck :)

Advertisement