Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best feed for Laurel

• 17-04-2013 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I planted a good lot of Laurel in November. Whats the best feed to give them a boost as the growing season starts.
    Some have to be replaced as they never took so want to get the newly planted ones going strong too.

Bear in mind I have a dog and any feed in pellet form will probably be ate! So any good liquid based feeds.

Thanks

Bull

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi all

I planted a good lot of Laurel in November. Whats the best feed to give them a boost as the growing season starts.
    Some have to be replaced as they never took so want to get the newly planted ones going strong too.

Bear in mind I have a dog and any feed in pellet form will probably be ate! So any good liquid based feeds.

Thanks

Bull

I use Doff or else Gouldings liquid feed for the hornbeam hedging,and for the other plants in the garden

Dilute a 30ml cap into 9 litres of water and liquid feed around the base of the hedging.Try not to get it on the leaves and just water the soil around the base of the hedging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well rotted manure will not only provide an excellent source of organic plant feed but also a very effective tonic for the soil. as well as conditioning the soil it will as a topdressing help to curb the inevitable encroachment of any weed/grass.

Newly planted hedges should be checked frequently but especially after windy spells to ensure plants are secure in the ground. Heel the soil firmly around the plants to secure and prevent any risk of wind rock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks

Bull

If you are going to replace any of the poorer ones,then no harm to mix in some manure,grit and compost with the existing soil or some fertilizer pellets into the bottom of each hole.Then pop in the new hedge/whip and fill and firm back in with mixed manure/compost/soil.

This will give the roots some good nutrition and feeding.Give the hedge a regular and reasonable enough watering.

8 euro for a large 9 litre tub of pellets in Aldi.

Oh and the dog cant get at the pellets as they are down in the hole with the roots of the hedge/whip too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Would chicken sh*t be good to mix in, plenty of it going as mother has a lock of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If using fresh chicken dung, avoid direct contact with plant or roots. Mix with some soil and spread around surface. Smells like hell, but good stuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement