Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom Netopia - Max Allowed Speed?

• 17-04-2013 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I have a Netopia 2247-02 wireless router, software version 7.8.0r2

When I go to the connection information page it shows the following:

Speed 2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 63/31 dB

On the “DSL Statistics” page, it reads the following:

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 Downstream and 256 Upstream

Does this mean that the router is somehow throttling my potential connection speed?
    If so, is there a way to maximise it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No, the copper between you and the cabinet is the problem.

Only thing you could do would be to have the shortest possible length between where you phone line enters the house and your router. After that what you get is what you get, such is crappy DSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Thanks Ed,

The router is plugged into the only phone socket in the house (just inside the hall door)

I know I'm a fair distance from the exchange, about 4KM I think.

Just concerned at the "Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 Downstream" reading on the router. It's not that the router is only allowing this speed as a max?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thanks Ed,

The router is plugged into the only phone socket in the house (just inside the hall door)

I know I'm a fair distance from the exchange, about 4KM I think.

Just concerned at the "Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 Downstream" reading on the router. It's not that the router is only allowing this speed as a max?

Yes, the router sets the speed depending on the signal to noise (SNR) variable. There are routers that will allow a little more speed at the expense of few line errors but to me that is counter productive tbh

Ahh, I see.

So the router gets it's max allowed settings from the line and it's not a setting I can adjust then?

The SN Margin (dB) is 7.40 Down and 21.00 Up

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depending on where you are in north county dublin you might get UPC soon(basically if you're in an estate its a possibility).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ahh, I see.

So the router gets it's max allowed settings from the line and it's not a setting I can adjust then?

The SN Margin (dB) is 7.40 Down and 21.00 Up

Thanks.

No, you need a better router to cheat it and push more speed put of your line. There have been some posts on here singing the raises of these routers on a poor line, but like I said, to me it's counter productive, you will get more errors on the line. Also, the SNR is a figure that varies slightly depending on the temperature of the copper.

But if I did cheat it I'd be looking at a few extra kbps?, not a doubling of speed or anything?

ED, there's about 80 houses in my estate and a couple of hundred up the road, neither has UPC, surprised they have not gotten here sooner!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, you need a better router to cheat it and push more speed put of your line. There have been some posts on here singing the raises of these routers on a poor line, but like I said, to me it's counter productive, you will get more errors on the line. Also, the SNR is a figure that varies slightly depending on the temperature of the copper.
    The errors are not necessarily a problem unless they're uncorrectable or they lead to disconnects. Though a signal margin of 7.4 dB doesn't allow much room for manoeuvre. A line like that couldnt' support 3 mbps with any stability. Perhaps 2.5 mbps?

Advertisement