Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil and gas stolen, where to go from here with landlord??

Options
  • 17-04-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Just got home from college at 1.30pm (having left at 11.35am) to find out our gas cylinder was stolen and our oil tank was completely drained (150 euros of oil). We had the curtains open (not something we normally do) and we're just assuming at this stage that the only reason they didn't break into the house to take the TV, two PCS and consoles on show was because the dog was there.

We rang the gardaí and there's nothing they can do. Rang the estate agent and he essentially said the same thing. We demanded he ring the owners to see if sufficient security could be installed (monitered alarm and iron gates for the driveway) and we're waiting to hear back from him... But to be honest, neither of us feel very safe. We live in the countryside, a spit from the border to N.I and we're out of the house every single day bar weekends for two hours while I am in college. Just wondering how best to approach the estate agent/owners with moving out without penalty on our contract, as we're going to have to move to my mother's now tomorrow. Guards said most likely someone has been monitering the house as we're gone for such a short space of time, and you can't see the car from the driveway where we park it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre not going to have much joy with the landlord Im afraid; they are not obliged to beef up security at a tenants request and will just say that you signed the lease knowing the security (or lack thereof) when you moved in. By all means ask the question though; if crime is an issue in the area then the landlord may need to up the security if they dont want to have issues finding tenants in the future.

As for getting out of the lease, unless the landlord agrees to let you go without penalty then your only option is to look to reassign the lease. This means that you find someone who is suitable to the landlord to take over the remainder of the lease, you are responsible for any cost involved and are liable for any shortfall in the rent for the remainder of the term of the lease (ie if the new tenant ends up paying less than you are now).

The above is assuming you are still on a fixed term lease. On a part 4 tenancy you just need to give the required notice in writing to vacate and should expect your deposit back less deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

djimi wrote: »
    Youre not going to have much joy with the landlord Im afraid; they are not obliged to beef up security at a tenants request and will just say that you signed the lease knowing the security (or lack thereof) when you moved in. By all means ask the question though; if crime is an issue in the area then the landlord may need to up the security if they dont want to have issues finding tenants in the future.

As for getting out of the lease, unless the landlord agrees to let you go without penalty then your only option is to look to reassign the lease. This means that you find someone who is suitable to the landlord to take over the remainder of the lease, you are responsible for any cost involved and are liable for any shortfall in the rent for the remainder of the term of the lease (ie if the new tenant ends up paying less than you are now).

The above is assuming you are still on a fixed term lease. On a part 4 tenancy you just need to give the required notice in writing to vacate and should expect your deposit back less deductions.

Only 6 months into the fixed term lease unfortunately, and the house was up for quite a while (I can assure you and the estate agent that there will probably not be another tenant). I know, obviously, we cant force them to get adequate security in, but obviously the area is not safe and (I know this does sound paranoid and excessive) but we can't leave the house alone, nor can my partner leave me alone in it, for risk that they come more prepared the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Just got home from college at 1.30pm (having left at 11.35am) to find out our gas cylinder was stolen and our oil tank was completely drained (150 euros of oil). We had the curtains open (not something we normally do) and we're just assuming at this stage that the only reason they didn't break into the house to take the TV, two PCS and consoles on show was because the dog was there.

We rang the gardaí and there's nothing they can do. Rang the estate agent and he essentially said the same thing. We demanded he ring the owners to see if sufficient security could be installed (monitered alarm and iron gates for the driveway) and we're waiting to hear back from him... But to be honest, neither of us feel very safe. We live in the countryside, a spit from the border to N.I and we're out of the house every single day bar weekends for two hours while I am in college. Just wondering how best to approach the estate agent/owners with moving out without penalty on our contract, as we're going to have to move to my mother's now tomorrow. Guards said most likely someone has been monitering the house as we're gone for such a short space of time, and you can't see the car from the driveway where we park it.

Hi OP,

Someone stole your fuel. Its not a nice experience but it happens all over rural ireland.

Sorry to hear it has happened to you, but i do believe you are being slightly histerical about breaking leases and moving home to your mothers etc.

Install additional lighting. Make sure you set the alarm and lock the windows and doors. And good job on the dog. Maybe get a second one for the garden.

The thiefs were most likely just out for your fuel and theyve got that. Relax and assess the situation but there is not need to be as dramatic. This sort of crime is terrible but it happens all the time and is opportunistic the guards will tell you that themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres a fair chance that all they were after was the oil; theft of oil is becoming annoying common in the past few years. Ive heard of oil being taken from houses in some of the safest estates I know. I know that isnt going to be a lot of comfort to you now unfortunately; I know only too well that feeling of wanting to get out of a place after a break in/theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Susie120704

It is not a nice thing to be broken into like that but I would not be worried about them coming back. These guys were after the easy money of fuel and would probably not bother you again. This type of theft is quite common in recent years and whilst annoying it does not usually represent a threat to your personal well being. Just try not to let it upset your psyche too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

It's good you only had 150 worth of oil in the tank. I'd suggest getting a lock for it. This is important if you intend to fill it up in greater quantities - if it gets stolen again it could be claimed on the LL's home insurance (but this of course will have to be checked with your LL).
    I don't think you will get out of that lease as it is not the LL's fault that you got robbed, but maybe he will help you out with some extra security measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Rasmus wrote: »
    I'd suggest getting a lock for it.

We were advised against a lock as determined thrives apparently drill a hole at the bottom of the tank & drain it that way so not only has the oil got to be replaced but also the tank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think an alarm would have made any difference in this case. If they took items that were outside then an alarm would not have gone off anyway. Alarms are useless if not monitored by someone anyway.
    I am not sure how iron gates would help either?

It is not your landlords fault that this happened. It is an issue between you and the Guards. That they are unwilling to do anything speaks volumes about this country. Your landlord should not suffer though so you would have no right to break your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I don't think an alarm would have made any difference in this case. If they took items that were outside then an alarm would not have gone off anyway. Alarms are useless if not monitored by someone anyway.
    I am not sure how iron gates would help either?

It is not your landlords fault that this happened. It is an issue between you and the Guards. That they are unwilling to do anything speaks volumes about this country. Your landlord should not suffer though so you would have no right to break your lease.

Does it though ? Realistically they can print the tank but probably wearing gloves.

Theres no hope of catching this type of thief.

Baybay wrote: »
    We were advised against a lock as determined thrives apparently drill a hole at the bottom of the tank & drain it that way so not only has the oil got to be replaced but also the tank.

Will insurance cover it though if it is unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Will insurance cover it though if it is unlocked?

Good question! Thankfully, I don't know. Maybe that's one for the OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

listermint wrote: »
    Does it though ? Realistically they can print the tank but probably wearing gloves.

They most likely do not bother wearing gloves as they know the Guards will not run for prints. Also a survey of the area would find out if any vans were about the place being suspicious but they won't bother doing this either. Generally they know who the culprits are but can't be arsed doing much for petty crime like this as the slap on the wrist the criminal will get in the courts is a waste of time for everyone involved.

The guards informed us that they did not believe this was opportunistic as we are only gone for 1 1/2 hours per day, and not at all on Thursdays. You also cannot see our car from the driveway, so the only way they could have known we were not here was that they checked it out first.

As for being dramatic, I am referring to the fact that we obviously can't get more oil now, as another poster said, and as the guards pointed out to us, they are known to simply drill a hole in the tank and take the oil anyway. The rent is due next week and obviously we either pay it on time and go without heat and cooked food or we replace what was stolen and risk it getting stolen again.

Kind of makes remaining here pointless if they're going to try an easy house like this one next week.

Especially since an 11 foot sprint from our driveway leaves them out of the south.

I am referring to the fact that we obviously can't get more oil now, as another poster said, and as the guards pointed out to us, they are known to simply drill a hole in the tank and take the oil anyway. .

Why can't you get more oil? I can't imagine they will be back with a drill knowing they may not happen upon a full tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Why not just get one or two drums of oil to keep you ticking over?
    Also, if you are very worried about security etc, have a look in somewhere like Argos at dummy cameras or one of those fake alarm boxes(can you still get them? )

Why can't you get more oil? I can't imagine they will be back with a drill knowing they may not happen upon a full tank.

Because right now we can't afford it. Like I said, rent is due next week, and since the tank is drained (and is very big) we're going to have to buy extra just to get the tank level with the pipe, and then more on top of that. Im well aware its rife, but what is the point in refilling a tank with oil and just hoping they don't target our house again next week.

Certainly wouldn't dream of putting another dog outside, jesus!

Gee_G wrote: »
    Why not just get one or two drums of oil to keep you ticking over?
    Also, if you are very worried about security etc, have a look in somewhere like Argos at dummy cameras or one of those fake alarm boxes(can you still get them? )

It'll take four drums to fill the tank to the pipe level and then two on top of it, and we simply dont have it after putting oil in already. Going to have to look into something, but the front door is plain wood with a massive single pane glass window beside it, so if someone wanted in it would be a walk in the park. I'm mostly concerned about our dog now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

It'll take four drums to fill the tank to the pipe level and then two on top of it, and we simply dont have it after putting oil in already. Going to have to look into something, but the front door is plain wood with a massive single pane glass window beside it, so if someone wanted in it would be a walk in the park. I'm mostly concerned about our dog now at this stage.
    thankfully it is not cold so and it's coming into summer! (We hope)
    Why, what's wrong with your dog?

Gee_G wrote: »
    thankfully it is not cold so and it's coming into summer! (We hope)
    Why, what's wrong with your dog?

He's elderly and I don't particularly relish the idea of leaving him alone if they decide to chance their arm at the house. Single pane windows everywhere at ground level, he's by far the most valuable thing in the house, I'd be heartbroken if something happened him - especially with the amount of dogs being stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

It'll take four drums to fill the tank to the pipe level and then two on top of it, and we simply dont have it after putting oil in already.

Most tanks are simply resting unsecured on whatever platform they are on (blocks or whatever).

You could lift up the opposite end of the tank slightly to direct the oil to the outlet pipe, and prop it up with a few blocks. That means you won't have to put as much in for it to reach the pipe.

Addition : You might want to put some oil in even just to weigh down the tank in this weather. An empty tank has a lot of area to catch the wind, and could blow off it's mount if it is not secured in this wind we are having today!

• Advertisement

Most tanks are simply resting unsecured on whatever platform they are on (blocks or whatever).

You could lift up the opposite end of the tank slightly to direct the oil to the outlet pipe, and prop it up with a few blocks. That means you won't have to put as much in for it to reach the pipe.

Yeah I think we might be able to tilt ours, I just hope its not noticeable from the road - would be pretty obvious we put oil back into it.

I could do with the hilarity of ringing the landlord to say mother nature just stole the oil tank!

Can we emphasise the word slightly in this advice. If you tilt it too much every bit of crap at the bottom or your oil tank will flow into your boiler.

Advertisement