Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque made out to two people

Options
  • 17-04-2013 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    After moving, my deposit was returned in the form of a cheque made out to me and my gf. Can I lodge this into my personal account? Does she need to come with me or sign it or something? We don't have a joint account.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Just get her to sign the back of the cheque & lodge to your personal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Hi,
    After moving, my deposit was returned in the form of a cheque made out to me and my gf. Can I lodge this into my personal account? Does she need to come with me or sign it or something? We don't have a joint account.
    Thanks.

Same here last week. BOI would not accept - phoned & sent back. Said both parties signing it was irrelevant, that it either had to be a joint account or rewritten.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It depends on the crossing on it. If it's crossed 'account payee only' then it can only go into an account with both your names on it, regardless of whether or not your gf has endorsed the back. It might be easier to go back to the landlord and see will they make out a cheque with only one name on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Toots* wrote: »
    It depends on the crossing on it. If it's crossed 'account payee only' then it can only go into an account with both your names on it, regardless of whether or not your gf has endorsed the back. It might be easier to go back to the landlord and see will they make out a cheque with only one name on it.

Yes, forgot that part, ours was crossed. Called UB and they wouldn't take it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Options are either setup a joint account or get the landlord to issue the cheque to one of you. Was the property leased under both your names or just one?

How did you pay your lease each month? The landlord should just have put a reversal of whatever system you had to pay so if it was cash back in cash, if from standing order to a bank account should then just repay to that bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Thanks for your replies. The cheque wasn't crossed so I got her to sign the back and was able to lodge it without problem.

Advertisement