Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Cattle Market

Options
  • 17-04-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I'm looking for any information on the old cattle market that used to be on Prussia St. I've enquired with the Film Board but they never replied to me:mad: I was in the City Arms on Prussia St. and there was a gent in there who said his brother had a documentary made in the 60's/70's that talked about the market. It was either completely about it or the surrounding area. Has anyone heard of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Their is a facebook page called Dublin down memory lane, you might find what your looking for in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Go into Hanlons at the top of Prussia St/ North Circ. They have (had anyway) great photos of the market - there will be someone in there to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah the good old days of roads covered in liquid excrement pouring from the cattle trucks every Wednesday.

A guy I knew came off his motorbike and slid about 20 yards down the road on it. It went everywhere! No bus or taxi would take him, so he had to walk home to Ballyfermot, during which time the mixture dried solid so he was like a brown knight walking along....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

It wasn't known as 'Cowtown' for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

When I saw the thread title the first place I thought of was Heuston Station on a Friday evening. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71951363

There was a thread about it over in History forum a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

My father-in-law remembers the cattle market well as he grew up in the area. Must ask him to regale us again with some of his brilliant tales :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Some of the pubs in and around Stoneybatter have old photos of the cattle market. I think it was running until the 1970s or early 80s. There is a local authority housing estate called Drumalee built in the 80s where the cattle market was sited - which was along the North Circular Road between Prussia Street and Aughrim St.

There also were a number of abbatoirs, tanneries and slaughterhouses in the locality too. Stoneybatter has always had a strange vibe IMO - maybe because of all the farming-related activity that used to be there. It feels more like a country town than inner city Dublin IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

they built ugly houses on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Some of the pubs in and around Stoneybatter have old photos of the cattle market. I think shit was running until the 1970s or early 80s.
    FYP. The stuff did run, being a mixture of the first two positive numbers.
    They built ugly houses on it
    The houses are not ugly per se, but I am reliably informed that one is well advised to cross the street beforehand to avoid walking directly past when there is a group of adolescents hanging about in the immediate vicinity.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Esel wrote: »

The houses are not ugly per se, but I am reliably informed that one is well advised to cross the street beforehand to avoid walking directly past when there is a group of adolescents hanging about in the immediate vicinity.

Are you really or are you just making that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

nonsense, walk past there for years and years and the kids there are no better or worse than any other kids that age.

Also I think the houses are nice with their little garages built with the house and the lay out of the them with greenery, parking spaces and enclosed for the residents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Esel wrote: »

It's true just talking to a guy the other night got mugged on that side steer clear.

Bogeys hide behind the wall and have 2 little fellas to rope you in Beware.

Advertisement