Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carer Allowance

• 17-04-2013 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9

Hi, Im just wondering, can anybody know the answer the following question?
    I have a daughter (2 years old) who has a serious condition, and I have applied for Carer Allowance in December 2012, Before that I just got the jobseeker benefit, but now Im getting the jobseeker allowance. Im still waiting for the decision of Carer allowance, and Im just wondering is that right that Im getting the jobseeker allowance in meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

yes - if you are awarded CA you will be transferred from one payment to another and any difference in backpay will be awarded from your official application date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 bigbarginhunter

I'm not sure about job seekers allowance. I know the carers allowance will be backdated to the time it was sent in, you could end up keeping job seekers allowance & get half rate carers allowance but I'm not 100% sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 evica

Thank you for the information.
    I just wasn't sure im entitled the jobseeker allowance, while im waiting for carer allowance, as Im taking care of my daughter in full time... but if i wouldn't be entitled for the jobseeker what should i get instead of, as the waiting time of the carer allowance more than 6 months as I know?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

yes I know that I can not get half-rate carer with jobseeker. But is that right that im getting jobseeker allowance until im waiting for carer Allowance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You will continue to get jobseekers allowance until such time as a decision is made on your carers allowance application.

Thank you for all answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

When I applied for carers benefit 2 years ago they put me on jobseekers benefit while I was waiting on my claim to go through. When the claim came through they just stopped my JB and paid me the difference (between E188 and E205). Now I'm waiting on CA to be processed and I was put on supplementary welfare allowance. Do you mind me asking, have you heard anything from carers yet??

Hi Nelly 21,

Thank you for your answer to me. I applied for carer allowance in the beginning of December, but I'm still waiting for the decision. Recently I got a letter from them to fill a form about my habitual residence condition, I filled that form, sent back, but still nothing...., and as I know the waiting time more than 6-7 month, hopefully less...
    Are you waiting long time for CA?

evica wrote: »
    Hi Nelly 21,

Thank you for your answer to me. I applied for carer allowance in the beginning of December, but I'm still waiting for the decision. Recently I got a letter from them to fill a form about my habitual residence condition, I filled that form, sent back, but still nothing...., and as I know the waiting time more than 6-7 month, hopefully less...
    Are you waiting long time for CA?

I applied in January, was on carers benefit first. I didn't think that it would take that long to go through but it seems it does! I got a letter 2 weeks ago asking for updated information, bank statements and stuff so I sent them off this week.
    As far as I know they have a new system that is supposed to move claims a bit quicker but still seems to take a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Catkins407

Could you get lone parents and half carers ? I am not sure of your circumstances but thought I would throw that out there. You are not really available for work at the moment with your child's needs so be careful about claiming job seekers. You maybe should be on supplementary welfare allowance while you are waiting for your decision ?

Hi Catkins407, I have partner, so I can not get one parent payment, and half carers. I know that I m not available for work as I have to take care of my daughter in full time. But I get the jobseekers allowance since last october, and then I applied for carer allowance in December. So I have no idea what's the best, staying in jobseekers allowance or should go to supplementary allowance?

Evica, when I went to the community welfare officer she told me that she could either give me supplementary welfare allowance or have me go on my husband claim (he's on JS at the moment). She phoned her supervisor and they told her to pay me SW as they didn't think I would be too long waiting on the carers allowance.
    Now if your husband is in full time employment the CWO might not pay you anything. Its no harm paying your local CWO a visit. The CWO told me that on a week that my husband might be working, I've to let her (cwo) know and I'd be docked my money for that week.

With the jobseekers you are caught as you don't satisfy the conditions as you are not available for work but when I applied for Carers benefit 2 years ago I was advised my social welfare to go on jobseekers while I waited for my claim to be processed.

Evica have you heard anything from carers yet??

Advertisement