Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompEx Certification

Options
  • 17-04-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anybody here has done the CompEx course and if so, where did you do it, how many days did it take, how much did it cost and what did you think of the course?
    I've checked with the ETCI but they are not running this course this year. They are running the ATEX course but this falls short for what some companies require.
    There are several centres running this course in the UK so really just looking for feedback / recommendations from anybody who's done the course?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Philistine wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anybody here has done the CompEx course and if so, where did you do it, how many days did it take, how much did it cost and what did you think of the course?
    I've checked with the ETCI but they are not running this course this year. They are running the ATEX course but this falls short for what some companies require.
    There are several centres running this course in the UK so really just looking for feedback / recommendations from anybody who's done the course?

thanks

I did not do the CompEx course.

However I have completed several courses in this area over the years.

Most recently "Ex-Solutions Consulting" came over from the UK to run a 3 day course for us on site. I would strongly recomend them.
    They designed the course to meet our specific requirements, so you can be sure that they will not fall short of your requirements.

www.ex-solutions.com

This course was aimed primarily at people designing instrumentation and electrical systems in Hazardous Areas.

This course included:
    • Equipment selection
    • Legislation, responsibilities
    • Hazard awareness
    • Ex terminology
    • Gas Groups, Area Classification
    • Protection concepts (Exi, Exd, Exe etc...)
    • Ex markings
    • Inspection and maintenance
    • Written test
    As ET:105 has recently been revised (in 2011) it is very important to get these courses under your belt if you are working in Atex areas.
    In fact it has become a legal obligation to complete the training as well as regular refresher courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I did it nearly 4 years ago in Swansea.It cost something like £920,under a £1000 anyways.
    It was a full weeks course,8.30-4.00.A mix of practical and theory,a 25%/75% split.
    As to what I found of the course,it was grand.As with anything you learn lot's of stuff.It gives basic certification for doing work in Ex areas,not just electrical but instrumentation as well.
    Companies put a lot of weight to someone with CompEx as against someone that doesn't have it,for an electrician the only great difference is in glanding barrier glands.If the Ex inspection game is what you are after then it's very informative.

Hope that helps with some of your questions.Ask away if you have any more.:)

http://www.hornbilltraining.co.uk/scheduled-courses/venueevents/1-neathswansea

This is the crowd I did it with,I see it's £990 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

The Nutty M, 2011

Thanks for the information. Very helpfull

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

I did it in Middlesbrough last year found flights lodge and cost the cheapest! Flew to Newcastle and got the train down, did it in Roxby training they do a lot of other courses on site got the 17th edition done as well no complaints very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

Thanks for the reply Bongomad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Hi Philistine

I did my refresher in Intertek in Chester back in February, did the original back in 2008 there as well. I think it was around the £1000 but I didn't pay for it. I am an elec engineer rather than an electrician but I need for audit inspections and FAT's. I also did the Australian version recently which is 80% the same content.

There are separate courses in Compex for dust and gases so depending on what industry you are in make sure you do the correct one. If it gas you need to do EX01-EX04.

The only thing I would say about the Compex is it is only valid in ATEX legislated areas. IECEx is slowly taking over from ATEX around the world, so ATEX will only be valid in Europe in the next few years. If you are not planning on working outside Europe then you will have no problems.

Advertisement