Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yay! New Zelda announced for the 3DS

• 17-04-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭

Booooo, it's top-down. Was really hoping for a new OoT game or even a port of Majora's Mask but this'll do for now.

17992_507380889323046_1028211110_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Booooo, it's top-down

Because A Link To The Past isn't a masterpiece? Nothing wrong with top down, especially on the 3DS where it could work even better!

Delighted at this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Link to the Past is great but doesn't play or stand up as well as the N64 games for me. Looks like this is a direct sequel to Link to the Past though - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-17-link-to-the-past-sequel-coming-to-3ds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Alttp was brilliant. It stands up far better than Ocarina and Majora to modern audiences. Early 3d games are very jaggy. Alltp uses beautiful sprites so you can show it to a random person and they don't automatically cringe like with OoT.

Alltp was my first and favourite Zelda game. Hours and hours of my childhood were spent playing it and watching speedrunners destroy it on twitch is pretty fun for me :p

The last 2d Zelda I played was the minish cap and that was pretty good. Hopefully this will be better though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Link to the Past is great but doesn't play or stand up as well as the N64 games for me.

OoT is great and all but it's not a patch on LttP imo. That game is just perfect while OoT has a wonky early 3D engine and awful camera that stop it being as perfect as LttP for me.

I'd be more worried it's to the same standard as Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Those two games were good but I just didn't love them as much as I really should love a zelda game and they were insultingly easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    OoT has a wonky early 3D engine and awful camera

How so?

The camera can be centred behind Link at any time and I've no idea what you mean by "wonky early 3D engine" to be honest?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How so?

The camera can be centred behind Link at any time and I've no idea what you mean by "wonky early 3D engine" to be honest?

Because the centring the camera behind the camera was always an awkward way of controlling the camera until seperate camera control on a second stick was introduced and the camera can go bananas in tight corridors and that engine really is a bit wonky and low tech with some framerate issues.

It's still a superb game but it does carry a few niggles from early 3D game development.

Nintendo pretty much made the best game they could with terrible 3D technology on the N64 while 3D game design was still in an embryonic state while LttP is one of the pinnacles of 2D game design when 2D technology had pretty much hit it's pinnacle.

He's right. OoT is a fantastic game but it's engine is ridiculously buggy. It is probably the single most bugged game ever created if you go by total numbers of bugs discovered. Watching a 100% speedrun of the game or an all medallions run just highlights it. It's actually possible to beat the game in under twenty minutes by utilising some of these bugs.

The camera was very wonky. The camera in wind waker was much better as you had near total control over it.

Ah now, it was no Goldeneye engine. The coding of that thing was held together by the programmers optimism :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah now, it was no Goldeneye engine. The coding of that thing was held together by the programmers optimism :)

Oh really? Watch and marvel at the brokenness! :p

And this barely scratches the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Like the look of that screenshot. Will it be stylus controlled like the ds games or d-pad like lttp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Like the look of that screenshot. Will it be stylus controlled like the ds games or d-pad like lttp?

Ugh, haven't even thought of that. Really hope they drop the stylus stuff.

It probably will be unfortunately :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I hope it has the dark world theme song.

I hope it has the dark world theme song.

Damn you. Well I know what I'll be humming for the rest of the evening...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I might be remembering incorrectly here, but apart from the 3D stuff wasn't the stylus control for the two DS games fantastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Wouldn't worry about stylus-control. The main gimmick of the DS was the touch screen, hence touchscreen controls for Zelda. The 3DS's main gimmick is, of course, the 3D, so I wouldn't expect them to make an LttP sequel that uses touchscreen over the d-pad. Relax folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'd have no issue with it if they decide to use stylus co trols again. I thought it worked very well in the two DS Zelda games.

I'm glad that this isn't another port and is a brand new game. A third Zelda port in two years might be a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'd have no issue with it if they decide to use stylus co trols again. I thought it worked very well in the two DS Zelda games.

I'm glad that this isn't another port and is a brand new game. A third Zelda port in two years might be a bit much.

Too much! No way, I'd love all of them remade. And also new games.

If it is stylus controlled I won't be upset. I was wary about it the first time round but it was grand in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm very skeptical of anything which tries to hammer in stylus or motion control use (and could have cried when I heard it was being used in a Zelda game), but the controls in Phantom Hourglass are brilliant. Some of the best stylus use I've ever come across in a game.

Not sure how I feel about this new 3DS game. ALTTP is one of my favourite games of all time, not sure if it needs a sequel.

I'm more than sure my worries will all go out the window once I start playing it :)

On a side note, ALTTP is a far superior game to OOT. I replayed them both recently enough. Even afforded OOT an upgrade by playing it on the 3DS (while still sticking with a Snes for ALLTP) - there's no comparison. OOT is extremely overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Flippin hell it's colourful. :)
    Love the look of it. Hopefully it's as ambitious (and as big) as LTTP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Mr E wrote: »
    Flippin hell it's colourful. :)
    Love the look of it. Hopefully it's as ambitious (and as big) as LTTP.

never played the first game though sequel looks great.

not a fan of the artstyle though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Majoras Mask needs to come out on 3DS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

10 minutes of in game footage - and not a stylus in sight! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 RonanDwyer

A Link to the Past is still one of my fave games of all time so I can't wait for this

Cannot wait for this. I wonder if they'll release a limited edition XL pack for it? The XL looks so much better, will have to pick one up at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

EnterNow wrote: »
    Cannot wait for this. I wonder if they'll release a limited edition XL pack for it? The XL looks so much better, will have to pick one up at some stage

Same here. If they do a limited edition, that'll be the time to bite the bullet on it.

Either way this is 100% a day one purchase. Can't wait.

So happy with that stylus-less clip.

I just want it to actually pose a bit of a challenge. Also while d-pad control is nice the stylus controls did add a nice twist to the tired and old items that appear in every zedla game so hope there's a bit of styluis functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Control wise I'll be happy if I just don't have to blow into the mic again! :mad:

/Edit - wow, that XL screen looks amazing. Kinda want one now myself!

o1s1n wrote: »

Told yall! I think I'll wait & see if a Zelda model comes out & then get one...they look like such an improvement over the standard size

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

o1s1n wrote: »
    Control wise I'll be happy if I just don't have to blow into the mic again! :mad:

Yeah, it's ace. I just upgraded this week (thanks to Amazon.it's offer, shove your 200e+ ones Irish retailers!) I think the only way anyone could be disappointed is if they were super-fussy about resolutions; I'm pretty fussy about that kind of thing and I love it. Opened up the old unit last night and just couldn't believe how tiny the screens seemed in comparison, especially the touchscreen.

Good time to do it. Kotaku has an article there asking if this generation is going to be owned by the 3DS. I don't know about that, but this sure feels like the year of the 3DS. Credit to Nintendo: with home consoles they've seemed a bit rudderless these past few years, but in the handheld gaming field they've seen off every competitor, and appear determined to see off smartphones and iPads too. I would not bet against them.

Advertisement