Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless payments, AIB debit cards

Options
  • 17-04-2013 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Last night when paying for some groceries, I presented my AIB visa debit card to the counter staff, expecting to be handed a device to enter my pin number as usual.

Instead, the guy just briefly scanned my card using the contactless feature on the card, and the bill was paid.

He didn't look at the name on my card, nor ask for ID.

Is anyone else a little concerned about that? I have lost some cards before, and I know it's fairly easy for someone to use your debit card online if they get hold of it, but using it in a shop in this way is far less traceable.

Is it over the top to go back to AIB and ask for a non-contactless card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Is it over the top to go back to AIB and ask for a non-contactless card?
    No, not at all. You're the customer & it's your money, so if you don't feel comfortable with the contactless feature just request a card without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

It can only be used for transactions less than €15 though, and as far as I know it'll pick random times to ask for the pin even when using contact less payment.
    The whole point is convenience, and I find it really convenient!

jubella wrote: »
    I find it really convenient!
    I think that's the point the OP is making. It's also really convenient for the person who finds or steals it. €15 x 10 = €150 => Extremely convenient :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

It can only be used for transactions less than €15 though
    oh thanks, I didn't actually know that! presumably that limit's not at the shopkeeper's / business's own discretion?

which would be reassuring alright. unlikely anyone is going to go on a shopping spree €15 at a time.

oh thanks, I didn't actually know that! presumably that limit's not at the shopkeeper's / business's own discretion?

which would be reassuring alright. unlikely anyone is going to go on a shopping spree €15 at a time.

No i think the 15 euro limit is part of the technology - as in you won't be able to use contactless for transactions higher than that.

• Advertisement

I think that's the point the OP is making. It's also really convenient for the person who finds or steals it. €15 x 10 = €150 => Extremely convenient :eek:

Thats what the random pin verification is for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I still have not received my debit card, when are they all being rolled out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

They are being rolled out branch by branch.

If you do lose your card and it is used on contactless you will get refunded as long as you notify them.

Thats what the random pin verification is for though.
    I know, but how random is random?

A friend had her card stolen & didn't realise until the next day as it was swiped out of her purse & the purse put back in her bag. A dozen or so purchases had been made & she had no comeback. She is now down the guts of €130 with absolutely no comeback for the convenience. So it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    They are being rolled out branch by branch.

If you do lose your card and it is used on contactless you will get refunded as long as you notify them.

I was told that if you ring AIB saying you lost your old card, they send out the new debit card , any truth to that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ya that's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I know, but how random is random?

A friend had her card stolen & didn't realise until the next day as it was swiped out of her purse & the purse put back in her bag. A dozen or so purchases had been made & she had no comeback. She is now down the guts of €130 with absolutely no comeback for the convenience. So it works both ways.
    In cases like that, I'd be more worried about online purchases.

My house was broken into a couple of years back, cash, laptops and a camera taken but not bank cards. We didn't even think of cancelling them until the Gardaí pointed out the obvious.

I really think we need something stronger than the security code for online purchases. I know some purchases require bank login, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

Contactless cards in Ireland have a €45 overall limit until pin entry is forced.

The maximum transaction you can make is €15.

So you can make 3x€15 or 45x€1 contactless transactions or what ever combination you want up to €45.

Once you enter your pin it also resets that counter back to 0.

Maximum exposure the issuing bank has is €45.

Criminals don't steal cards for low amounts. Its not worth their while.

Contactless has been around for a while in other countries with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

user1842 wrote: »
    Contactless has been around for a while in other countries with no issue.
    ...I often wonder how rife credit card theft is in the states where they don't even us the PIN, just swipe and go. Never ceases to amaze me at petrol stations that you can fill up with gas and just stick any credit card into the pump and away you go. Compared to the US security on European cards is miles ahead. There is some logic behind the €45 limit thing...you'd likely have more than that in cash in your wallet at any time so even if you're liable for up to that limit, the more places take the cards, the less actual cash you'll need to carry. It's like "secure" cash.

Advertisement