Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone has hacked our phones!!

• 17-04-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

For the past 8/10 months, my girlfriend have been getting messages for each other, except we did not send them, if you catch my drift.

Someone has hacked into our phones, and can see all our messages, and is able to withhold messages that my girlfriend actually sends to me. They know when i call her and can stop me calling her.

The messages have started to get abusive so thats why im seeking help. Its someone thats knows us both and they are in the same college as me!

does anyone have any ideas on how to find out who it is? or indeed stop it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Both of you need to change your Apple ID passwords.

https://appleid.apple.com/ie/

You should also check what email addresses are associated with both Apple IDs and make sure you have access to those accounts. Change the passwords on all of them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

I'm not sure I understand.

Firstly, getting messages from each other sounds like someone is sending you iMessages from another device?

But how are they withholding messages/blocking calls? How do you know? What happens when, for example, you try to call her and they block it?

I had a quick look and I suspect what happened is that either you and your g/f are using the same address, or someone has synced their phone with your Apple ID. Have either of you setup/allowed someone to setup their iPhone/iTunes using your Apple ID? Someone in the same house, possibly?

EDIT: Also, on your iPhone, go to Settings > Messages > Send and Receive At > and see is anything other than your number listed there.

EDIT: And by any chance are these calls Facetime calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christymac

When i Call her, they hang up they call, i get the sound i would get if someone hung up on me without answering, then they text me saying that they wont allow me to call her.

Yes my girlfriend let her mate use her apple id!! and she is also the one i suspected of doing it. Have we found the culprit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Why would you wait over half a year to do something about this? You should act instantly on something like this.

Apple have enabled two step verification login on their accounts. Google it, change your password, enable two step verification and use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Not sure this will work, but...

1. Change your apple id password
    2. Set up find my iphone
    3. Locate the suspicious device
    4. Wipe the device remotely through find my iphone

That'll learn them

christymac wrote: »
    When i Call her, they hang up they call, i get the sound i would get if someone hung up on me without answering, then they text me saying that they wont allow me to call her.

Yes my girlfriend let her mate use her apple id!! and she is also the one i suspected of doing it. Have we found the culprit?

Yep. What's happening is that the calls and messages are going to both phones, I suspect. Which allows her to hang up/text you. Your g/f needs to boot her off her Apple ID. And probably get another friend that isn't a complete dickend.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christymac

Thanks for your help guys. One thing though, will changing my Apple id wipe my phone of pictures and numbers and stuff?

I didnt wait a year, we only recently found out it was a third party, which led to many rows between us. Which is probably what the bitch wanted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't see how this is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Only if its facetime or skype could it be true. Regular call, not possible I agree.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your help guys. One thing though, will changing my Apple id wipe my phone of pictures and numbers and stuff?

I didnt wait a year, we only recently found out it was a third party, which led to many rows between us. Which is probably what the bitch wanted!

You shouldn't need to change your Apple ID, unless you and your g/f use the same Apple ID and she then allowed her friend to also use it. If your Apple ID is, for example, christy@gmail.com and your girlfriend's is lisa@gmail.com, and your g/f has shared her ID with her friend, then the only phone/account that has been compromised, so to speak, is your girlfriend's. She should not be able to send messages from your number, or cancel calls which are incoming to you. She should only be able to send messages from your g/f's number, possible make facetime calls to you using your g/f's number and read any messages sent from you (or anyone using iMessage) to your g/f

Genuinely, though, this sounds like an enormous invasion of privacy. Using your g/f's Apple ID should be the least of her worries after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

This is an awful invasion of privacy, and she has broken the law by intercepting your texts.

I would complain to the Gardai, or at least let her know that you're having issues and the Gardai are investigating it.

According to the 1983 Postal and Telecommunications Services Act,

98.—(1) A person who—

(a) intercepts or attempts to intercept, or

(b) authorises, suffers or permits another person to intercept, or

(c) does anything that will enable him or another person to intercept,

telecommunications messages being transmitted by the company or who discloses the existence, substance or purport of any such message which has been intercepted or uses for any purpose any information obtained from any such message shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) Subsection (1) shall not apply to any person who is acting—

(a) (i) for the purpose of an investigation by a member of the Garda Síochána of a suspected offence under section 13 of the Post Office (Amendment) Act, 1951 (which refers to telecommunications messages of an obscene, menacing or similar character) on the complaint of a person claiming to have received such a message, or

(ii) in pursuance of a direction issued by the Minister under section 110 , or

(iii) under other lawful authority, or

(b) in the course of and to the extent required by his operating duties or duties for or in connection with the installation or maintenance of a line, apparatus or equipment for the transmission of telecommunications messages by the company.

(3) (a) The company may, with the consent of the Minister, make regulations to carry out the intentions of this section in so far as concerns members of its staff.

(b) The Minister, after consultation with the company, may direct the company to make regulations under paragraph (a) or to amend or revoke regulations made under that paragraph and the company shall comply with that direction.

(c) A person who contravenes any regulation under this subsection shall be guilty of an offence.

(4) (a) The Minister may make regulations prohibiting the provision or operation of overhearing facilities in relation to any apparatus (including private branch telephone exchanges) connected to the network of the company otherwise than in accordance with such conditions as he considers to be reasonable and prescribes in the regulations.

(b) A person who contravenes any regulation under this subsection shall be guilty of an offence.

(5) In this section, “interception” means listening to, or recording by any means, or acquiring the substance or purport of, any telecommunications message without the agreement of the person on whose behalf that message is transmitted by the company and of the person intended by him to receive that message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dilallio wrote: »
    I would complain to the Gardai, or at least let her know that you're having issues and the Gardai are investigating
    Don't be ridiculous. Gardai intervention is hardly warranted here.

@OP. as has been said: seperate email addresses, password changes and no account sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I didn't understand a single word of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

For the moment, you should turn off iMessage on both your GF's and your iPhone. At least this way, the messages will go direct to her phone number.

I have 3 iphones which all have the same Apple IDs, so anytime i get a message or email or notification, they show up on all 3 phones.

If your GF gave her AppleID and password to a friend, she pretty much ALL ACCESS to everything on your GFs phone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Unless it was FaceTime to the apple id? Even then I'm not sure how it works.

Unlesss someone has cloned your phone csi style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

miralize wrote: »
    I didn't understand a single word of this thread
    Yeah, initially, i thought it read "For the past 8/10 months, my girlfriends have been getting messages from each other".

My initial reaction was "Problem....wheres the problem !" STUD.

Then I realized my error & I lost interest rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

lordgoat wrote: »
    Unless it was FaceTime to the apple id? Even then I'm not sure how it works.

Unlesss someone has cloned your phone csi style.

Or the girlfriend is schizo and one personality doesn't know what the other is doing................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can't the OP just change the password to their Apple ID?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Restore both phones to factory settings? Or if you don't understand how the iphone works, bring it into the place you bought it and explain it to them. I don't actually agree with not filing a complaint to the Gardai but you don't actually know who it is.
    If you can get any proof then I would consider this measure, as if someone is this crazy (the culprit) who knows how far they would take the harressment - they've already shown their long-term dedication to the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

your girlfriend's friend sounds like a bit of a bunny-boiler to me. Is she single, attractive, available?

BTW I agree with the above post. Just change the password on both your Apple id's. That should do it.

Dades wrote: »
    Can't the OP just change the password to their Apple ID?

My understanding is that, since iOS6, that will require the password to be updated on the third party's device, which means they won't have access to their messages any more. That's one part sorted.

But I don't think it stops them using Facetime. She could still cancel Facetime calls if I'm right.

Another possibility: someone hacked into the OP's iCloud account and changed his girlfriend's contact details to their own.

It makes more sense than them intercepting their calls/texts.

Another possibility: someone hacked into the OP's iCloud account and changed his girlfriend's contact details to their own.

It makes more sense than them intercepting their calls/texts.

Unless I've picked him up wrong, his g/f is getting the texts (as is this third party) and the calls (which I'm guessing are Facetime calls) are being rejected/cancelled before she can answer. I'd guess if his girlfriend answers first then the calls go through (though I don't know if the third party can cancel them at that stage).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This sounds like a whole lota BS to me...but thats just me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

mad muffin wrote: »
    This sounds like a whole lota BS to me...but thats just me...

May I ask why out of curiosity? His gf let her friend use her Apple ID so what he's describing is possible after a bit of Googling...

OP out of interest though has this ever happened when your both together? Like have you both tried testing it in the same room and you receive one of these texts so you can be 100% its not your gf messing you about...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Herrick wrote: »
    May I ask why out of curiosity? His gf let her friend use her Apple ID so what he's describing is possible after a bit of Googling...

OP out of interest though has this ever happened when your both together? Like have you both tried testing it in the same room and you receive one of these texts so you can be 100% its not your gf messing you about...

Phone calls intercepted? What is this, National Treasure 2?

And the whole OP reads like he typed it out with his toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Rasmus wrote: »
    Restore both phones to factory settings? Or if you don't understand how the iphone works, bring it into the place you bought it and explain it to them. I don't actually agree with not filing a complaint to the Gardai but you don't actually know who it is.
    If you can get any proof then I would consider this measure, as if someone is this crazy (the culprit) who knows how far they would take the harressment - they've already shown their long-term dedication to the cause.

Sorry but what good do you think restoring is going to do?

Like someone else mentioned I would definitely sign into iCloud and see if another device is active and lock it with a password and play a tone for a day or two and then wipe the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

mad muffin wrote: »
    Phone calls intercepted? What is this, National Treasure 2?

And the whole OP reads like he typed it out with his toes.

Yeah but I was under the impression if two devices were using the same Apple ID that incoming calls and texts come through on both. So if the gf and her friend are using the same ID they would come through on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Herrick wrote: »
    Yeah but I was under the impression if two devices were using the same Apple ID that incoming calls and texts come through on both. So if the gf and her friend are using the same ID they would come through on both.

Cellular or mobile calls and texts have nothing to do with iCloud/iMessage or apple id. Only FaceTime or imessage

Advertisement