Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone has hacked our phones!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

guil wrote: »
    Cellular or mobile calls and texts have nothing to do with iCloud/iMessage or apple id. Only FaceTime or imessage

Ah ok cool thanks wasn't totally sure if it covered all messages and calls or not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Herrick wrote: »
    Yeah but I was under the impression if two devices were using the same Apple ID that incoming calls and texts come through on both. So if the gf and her friend are using the same ID they would come through on both.

The only thing that can happen regards to texts and calls if three phones have the same Apple ID is that the iMessage would appear on all phones.

Or if the girlfriend and the so called hacker have the same ID then then the iMessage would appear on both phones and the "hacker" can send iMessages with the girlfriends ID.

Not 100% sure what happens with FaceTime. I know you can't make FaceTime calls to the same Apple ID. So you can't call from your phone to your iPad if they have the same I'd. Fr me it comes up as missed call straight away.

As for intercepting and blocking normal calls and text. Not possible unless they cloned the SIM card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

mad muffin wrote: »
    I know you can't make FaceTime calls to the same Apple ID. So you can't call from your phone to your iPad if they have the same I'd.
    I can call my iPhone from my iPad on the same apple ID, haven't checked the other way round. It's definitely facetime as I have the wifi iPad, not 3G.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FaceTimes calls aren't made to Apple IDs as such, they are made to email addresses/phone numbers associated with Apple IDs. So, yes, it's possible to make a FaceTime call to a device logged in with the same ID, provided it's not to the same email address/phone number. Otherwise it will come up as a missed call as mad muffin said.

So if I make a FaceTime call from my Mac (using my email address as the Caller ID) to my phone number - it will work. But if I make a call to myself using my phone number as the caller ID, the call will fail and my phone will show a missed call.

In other words, what Herrick described above: FaceTime calls coming through on multiple devices at the same time - making it possible for someone to cancel a call from another device - isn't possible. With iMessage, yes, but not FaceTime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

mad muffin wrote: »
    Phone calls intercepted? What is this, National Treasure 2.

I'd have gone with '24'! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'd have gone with '24'! :D

lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

dodzy wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous. Gardai intervention is hardly warranted here.

In a chat and telling them about what is happening I'd tell the person you suspect that you went to the guards and reported it and quote the law that was stated above.

Hopefully it might frighten the life out of them and they would stop this sh*te.

Advertisement