Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC price increase - Jun 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

And they're at it again...

Important contract changes
    DEAR x,
    At UPC we want our customers to have nothing but the best. We are committed to ensuring you enjoy only the best UPC experience and we therefore continue to improve our services so that we maintain this commitment.

Changes to your monthly subscription charges
    Due to rising operational costs, we find ourselves in a position where we need to apply a price increase. We understand that in these difficult times any price adjustment is unwelcome but in this case it is necessary to enable us to maintain the same great level of service.

As a result, we have to make some changes to the price of your UPC services which will come into effect from your next bill in June 2013. Below is the total increase that will be applied from your June bill onwards.

CHANGE TO YOUR BILL

YOUR PRICE CHANGE

€10.05 inc. VAT per month

Home Phone Rates
    Some of our home phone call rates are also changing and will be effective as of 1 June 2013. Please click here for your Telephony rate change leaflet which details the rates affected.
    General Terms & Conditions
    Finally, we are making some small changes to our general terms and conditions which will come into effect on the 28th June 2013. These changes reflect TV content that you access online. Also certain TV providers require a unique identifier to be placed on some of their sports events. We have updated our terms and conditions to detail how this may be processed by UPC. To view detailed changes please click here.
    Please remember that our TV, Broadband and Phone service remains excellent value. However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes.
    At UPC we are committed to providing you with the very best entertainment services and we will continue to invest in our Fibre Power network to ensure we deliver on this for you.
    As a responsible eco-friendly business, we’re conscious of reducing unnecessary wasted paper and increasing efficiency. Help us by switching to email, so you don’t miss out on news, upgrades & updates from UPC. Click here and enter in your customer number and email address.
    You will receive another email with some further news from UPC.
    Yours Sincerely.

Stephen Ruschitzko
    Customer Care Director

The above information is correct as of 20th March 2013. If you have since made changes to your product set, the above price change may vary.
    Terms and conditions apply. Go to upc.ie for details. UPC Communications Ireland Limited, Building P2, East Point Business Park, Clontarf, Dublin 3.
    Terms and Conditions | Legal Disclaimer (Legal)
    © 2013 upc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What aspect of your bill is increasing? Phone line, TV or broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

cookie1977 wrote: »
    What aspect of your bill is increasing? Phone line, TV or broadband?

I've requested a breakdown from them, just waiting on them to provide it.

There's nothing on their announcements or press release pages so it may (possibly) not be being applied to all customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I called up and mine is being increaded by €5.80

I have highest TV package, HD, MUlti Room and Sky SPorts/Movies
    25mb BB, Wondering if I get boosted to 50mb will I get charged full whack too, might end up paying 20 quid extra

• Advertisement

I presume if they're increasing costs and you're currently in contract with them then it's a change to the T&C's and therefore you can be released from contract if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I got one of these email but it said €6.36 inc. VAT per month increase. I'm on a basic package for BB,TV and Phone.

Thanks for the feedback and as a last resort I will do the DD. It's just I've never had a DD before and just feel a little uncomfortable with it.

Dont worry, the first time is always hardest, but in time you will begin to enjoy it.

BostonB wrote: »
    I got one of these email but it said €6.36 inc. VAT per month increase. I'm on a basic package for BB,TV and Phone.

I'm on broadband only. Are you in contract and did they offer the option to leave without penalty if you did not agree with the new price increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Yes you can call to "cancel"

• Advertisement

I'm on a really old package. I never upgraded as I wanted to stay out of contract. So I've never chased them for a better deal as it would mean a new contract. I've been dithering about dropping it for a long time.

They have people on all manner of prices and contracts I think. I'm paying 29 euro for 20mb broadband with 500GB limit (free analogue TV).

My bill is going up €1.05.
    Am on 60mb bb, 400mins anytime world phone and digital max hd tv......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Andre Salmon

I'm on basic for ph,bb & tv(and poxy Disney channels). getting charged additional €1

Dont worry, the first time is always hardest, but in time you will begin to enjoy it.

I had woeful problems with DD and UPC. Bills were wrong so many times.

So I cancelled it. Funny enough the bill has always been right since.

I'm on basic for ph,bb & tv(and poxy Disney channels). getting charged additional €1

Seems like a random lottery.

Seems like a random lottery.

everytime they increase prices that's what seems to happen.

everytime they increase prices that's what seems to happen.

Used to happen with my DD. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

My bill is going up €1.05.
    Am on 60mb bb, 400mins anytime world phone and digital max hd tv......

I'm on
    30mb bb
    Anytime world
    Digitial max;

going up €5 from €76 - saucy.

Will be interested to see the new bundle pricing, don't know if they're charging 5 extra for the 'free' upgrade to BB speeds to 50mb or trying to push people towards HD tele??

Curious myself. They sent another email with "treat" offers. No clear if these treats are free or you have to pay extra for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Curious myself. They sent another email with "treat" offers. No clear if these treats are free or you have to pay extra for them.
    1. INTRODUCING THE WONDERS OF
    UPC HORIZON TV APP & HORIZON TV ONLINE. √ Free

2. This Summer we are upgrading all our customers to 50Mb or more as standard where possible. √ Free

3. INTRODUCING THE AMAZING
    HORIZON TV HD+ BOX WITH FREE INSTALLATION. X Installation Free but there will be a monthly fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

NO price increase for me but a speed upgrade to 150Mb and 100 more minutes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

digital max
    60mb bb
    home phone
    sky sports
    setanta premium

and for that they want an extra €6.21 inc vat

the cheek of them to email me thanking me for being a loyal customer and how they will upgrade my bb and a few extra free mins then at the bottom tell me i have to pay extra each month

goes from €124.80 up to € 131.01 :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

I got my letter about 2 weeks ago, mine is going up from my next bill which is due in May (two monthly bill) by €2.72 incl. VAT per month. I also pay an extra 3.75 per bill because I have no direct debit with them, even though I pay my bill on time every time on line. Was on to them today and asked them about this and they said it was "administration charges". I asked them what charges were involved as it went straight from by bank account to theirs. Was told that that was the charge and they would not be waiving it. There is no UPC phone or broadband where I live.

Strangely enough, I have never paid by dd but they stopped charging me the admin fee late last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I have phone 30 meg bb and digital tv package. Going up 4 euros. Email sent offering 5 enhancements to my service.

50mg BB
    Horizan tv app and Horizan tv online. How much will this cost?
    Horizan tv HD box with free installation. How much will this cost.

Have yet to inform me of the other 2 treats.

Don't know much about this Horizan tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭An Tarbh

Got the letter today as well, they're upgrading me to 100mb by the end of the May with their compliments but also tagging on an price change of €5.51

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I was just onto them there, I currently have 25mb bb and questioned them about the 50 as standard in the treats, they said it's a free upgrade BUT because I have an old modem it's a once off payment of 40 for a new modem.

I never asked about the new box but no doubt there will be a fee somewhere

Does it kick you into a new contract I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Yeah it's another 12 month contract for taking the new modem and speed increase, i would assume it's the same if you ordered one of the new boxs too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Increase of 4.80 here. It's a little disingenuous.. we're not exactly getting the speed upgrade 'with your compliments', we're paying for it in this price increase. They can argue the price increase is for something else, but.. tomato/tomato.

"Here's a free upgrade. Give us extra money."

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MMiskella

€5 increase for me apparently.

Broadband Down Broadband Up Usage Phone TV PPM Additional costs?
    Current 25 2.5 500GB 100 90 € 66
    Changing to 30 ? 500GB 150 90 € 71 Renewed contract
    Offered recently 50 5 500GB 200 90 € 74 New modem and contract
    Current bundle offered online 50 5 Unlimited 100 110 € 66 One off €45

If I was to change to the €66 bundle they currently offer online today, would that be subject to the price hike as well?
    Strangely enough that €74 offer they said I needed to pay for a new modem but the Cisco EPC3925 they gave me seems to be the latest for 50mb+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

On 5oMb bb, basic phone package and HD digital box,
    €1.01 increase, but get an additional 50 mins free Ireland phone calls.

Also got link to pre-register for free installation of Horizon Box when it's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

im paying 81 for 60mb bb, phone freetime world and digital max hd+ for 81 but according to their new flyer I can get 100mb bb, digital max hd+ and phone 100 for 81 so will be changing and my hd box is crap so hopefully ill get a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I rang them up and they told me that it will be the guts of 5 euro that it will be going up by, I currently don't pay for the HD plus subscription as they gave it to me in a loyalty bundle and I have a feeling they want me to pay for that:eek:

Really not happy at being pushed up to 30MB and he told me that I can't go any lower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Are the bundle prices the updated prices on the website? by upping my bb speed to 50 and increasing the price by 5, I will have the max tele pack but will then be paying 5 more than the advertised price. In fact I think I've been diddled all along with my bb speed, have been paying for 50 all along or seems!

It seems very inconsistent??

Sorry if this has been asked before - but if you don't opt-out in the next 30 days, are you tied into a 'new' contract (12 months or whatever)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've just gotten an email advising me of a price decrease of €2.19 per month :D :P

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I've just gotten an email advising me of a price decrease of €2.19 per month :D :P

What plan are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

What plan are you on?

My Products
    • − Fibre Power Broadband 30Mb
    • − Digital Max TV
    • − Multiroom Viewing
    • − Digital+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 MMiskella

who_me wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before - but if you don't opt-out in the next 30 days, are you tied into a 'new' contract (12 months or whatever)?
    I'm pretty sure that's right, you get a new contract.

Part of my email,
    Please remember that our TV, Broadband and Phone service remains excellent value. However, you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes
    If you downgrade for free is it a new 12 month contract as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I received email the other day 1.01 euro to be upgraded to 150 mb .

looking at the email it says "you have the right to cancel or downgrade your service within 30 days of receipt of this notice without penalty if you choose not to accept these changes"

That to me smells like you will be in a new contract .

I for one will be getting on ,to make sure I'm not tied into contract for another year with this increase.

MMISKELLA ... you just got there before me....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

MMiskella wrote: »

Part of my email,

it seems like a catch 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm getting a decrease of 2.74 ;)

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm getting a decrease of 2.74 ;)
    See below

MMiskella wrote: »

Part of my email,

Thanks. I asked the UPC reps in the UPC forum, just to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

I have the full package from them TV Broadband and Phone. 4 DVR Boxes. Have been a loyal customer for many years offering them the benefit of availing of all their services. In the past I would not have even thought of seeking alternatives but two increases in quick succession €6 and now €16 a very considerable €264 per year is pushing it. Have asked them for a breakdown of the increases so I can consider my options. I will not avail of any free upgrade to my broadband as I believe this is a honey trap designed to tie me into a new contract which would benefit UPC rather than a loyal long term customer. UPC need to consider that while they may be less expensive than Sky they do not offer the same high level of services. Their DVR programme recording is of a far inferior quality regularly missing the beginning or ending of programmes and regularly fails to record "planned recordings" They don't have a match choice facility similar to Sky and their tv guide is often incorrect. UPC may be shooting themselves in the foot bigtime in our home.

Hitgit:mad::mad:

hitbit wrote: »
    I have the full package from them TV Broadband and Phone. 4 DVR Boxes. Have been a loyal customer for many years offering them the benefit of availing of all their services. In the past I would not have even thought of seeking alternatives but two increases in quick succession €6 and now €16 a very considerable €264 per year is pushing it. Have asked them for a breakdown of the increases so I can consider my options. I will not avail of any free upgrade to my broadband as I believe this is a honey trap designed to tie me into a new contract which would benefit UPC rather than a loyal long term customer. UPC need to consider that while they may be less expensive than Sky they do not offer the same high level of services. Their DVR programme recording is of a far inferior quality regularly missing the beginning or ending of programmes and regularly fails to record "planned recordings" They don't have a match choice facility similar to Sky and their tv guide is often incorrect. UPC may be shooting themselves in the foot bigtime in our home.

Hitgit:mad::mad:

Just as a FYI to avoid missing the end of program's ( which is down to the station not them) you can change the setup so it records an extra 5 or 10 minutes of the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

If you agree to the changes, it will not mean a new contract, you're just agreeing to a change
    in the existing contract . If you're out of contract, you are not signing up to another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

so much for a 3.9% increase - mines closer to 8% - with no added value since last years increase (which was explained in terms of on-demand TV and RTE2 HD - neither of which are available in my area) - have asked for a breakdown of the increase .......

• Advertisement
Advertisement