Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent advice

Options
  • 17-04-2013 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am a first time buyer, and put in a good offer on a house i like (80% the initial asking price) and gave him a month to accept, otherwise the offer is withdrawn.

The house only went up for sale a month ago.

Due to previouse experiences, i unfortunately no longer trust anyone involved in the sale of houses.

What's the best way to deal With the estate agent, so that he's not tellin me porky's about other offer's being higher than mine

Should I talk to the owner of the house also, or is this a no no.

Appreciate any advice,

Jo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I don't think there is any sound advice you can get from anybody on this topic. Just pick a price and stick to it and be prepared to walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

davet82 wrote: »
    I don't think there is any sound advice you can get from anybody on this topic. Just pick a price and stick to it and be prepared to walk away.

Id agree with the above. Id also say OP that 80% of the asking may or may not be a good offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

ok,

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

I agree with D3PO & Dave82's posts above but what you've basically said to the estate agent is;

'Here's an offer, now I'll give you a month to go and find a higher offer and if not, you have me to fall back on'

Whether or not the vendor eventually accepts your offer or not is anyone's guess but I'm pretty sure they're happy you've offered yourself as a Plan B and given them a month to find another interested party...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

If I were time-limiting an offer I don't think I would ever give a month - a week maybe.

How effective a time-limit offer from you would be is anyones guess - I would imagine it would depend very much on sellers circumstances -

if the property is on the market a while at the current asking, the owner might have a big headache with it and just want rid, in which case it could work in your favour. If it's fairly new to the market, maybe not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

D3PO wrote: »
    Id also say OP that 80% of the asking may or may not be a good offer.

the only good offer is the offer that is accepted if you think about it :)

Advertisement