Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

eye opener to look at the milk league table and to see Glanbia holding the table up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan2 wrote: »
    eye opener to look at the milk league table and to see Glanbia holding the table up.
    Are arrabawn ahead of dairy gold, must be hurting for the lads that moved, saying that they could be right in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Are arrabawn ahead of dairy gold, must be hurting for the lads that moved, saying that they could be right in the long run

Dsirygold slightly ahead of us on a+b_c basis Kev .boys that left for there took along term view on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Dairygold held at 25.5, been second from bottom for 2 or 3 months now I think. 10 minutes over the road and the milk going to ballineen is getting 3 cent more base. Got a leaflet in the post a few weeks back telling about the loyalty scheme getting x amount of shares per y amount of purchases measured in c/l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

The spread between fat & protein is higher about now than it has been for a long time.

Regardless of base milk price, one would expect that spread to reduce one way or another. Fat (butter) can become cheaper or Protein can become more expensive - relative to one another.

I would have thought that, no matter what the base price does, the product mix is about to be tested which might well see some positions change in the milk price table over the next 12 months.

Ah Jeez now they'll all be at it...

"A German dairy farm has €1.8m turnover but just 75 cows"

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/a-german-dairy-farm-has-1-8m-turnover-but-just-75-cows-194393/

kowtow wrote: »
    Ah Jeez now they'll all be at it...

"A German dairy farm has €1.8m turnover but just 75 cows"

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/a-german-dairy-farm-has-1-8m-turnover-but-just-75-cows-194393/

Turnover = vanity
    Profit = sanity
    Cash flow = reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Turnover = vanity
    Profit = sanity
    Cash flow = reality

True Mahoney, but cynical..

I was at a local knees up last night where there was quite a selection of local artisan cheeses. Two of the cheeses were delicious. Those two cheeses were not allowed to be sold to the general public because they had no certification whatsoever.
    With the right investment and marketing they could be successful. Might be more lucrative than milk powder...

Turnover = vanity
    Profit = sanity
    Cash flow = reality

That is a handy bit of doggerel but I dare say that €1.75M is something of a comfort when you only have to feed & house 75 cows.

He's getting an equivalent of 80c + for milk, up to 10 x the gross margin of the best Irish grassland farmers.

Dawggone wrote: »
    True Mahoney, but cynical..

I was at a local knees up last night where there was quite a selection of local artisan cheeses. Two of the cheeses were delicious. Those two cheeses were not allowed to be sold to the general public because they had no certification whatsoever.

Can they not sell (very) locally under the derogation?

I'm not sure that it's been codified everywhere but there are supposed to be exceptions for very small producers / local & direct to consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You should do what Kerry do, turn the page upside down and proclaim you're leading the table 'on a like-for-like basis';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Can they not sell (very) locally under the derogation?

I'm not sure that it's been codified everywhere but there are supposed to be exceptions for very small producers / local & direct to consumer.

I'm not entirely sure Kow. From what I understood they can sell very locally, like the saturday marché, but they didn't produce enough. They didn't even have their own milk, so they bought milk (Montbelliard!) when they felt like making a batch.
    Every second person here fancies themselves as a cheesemaker or winemaker. Lord above but some of the local wines can be awful...

You should do what Kerry do, turn the page upside down and proclaim you're leading the table 'on a like-for-like basis';)

Didn't they only say they were going to pay a leading milk price?

I'm not sure that they were specific about which direction it would be leading in...

As I think Churchill said when accused over indentured labour...

"It cannot, in the opinion of Her Majesties government, be classified as slavery in the extreme sense of that word, without some risk of terminalogical inexactitude"

Dawggone wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure Kow. From what I understood they can sell very locally, like the saturday marché, but they didn't produce enough.

The regulation is a bit awkward, one of those European specials. Makes it a condition of "farmhouse cheese" that it is produced at a farm, and then goes on to make it impossible to produce it on a farm because of the hygiene risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

That is a handy bit of doggerel but I dare say that €1.75M is something of a comfort when you only have to feed & house 75 cows.

He's getting an equivalent of 80c + for milk, up to 10 x the gross margin of the best Irish grassland farmers.
    He had 10 full time staff, 20 part time staff and how much invested in plant and equipment. He also has a catchment population of 12m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

see in nz 2 prices being paid for powder one is sell by date close and the other has a sell by date of a few month, a higher price is being paid for the longer sell by date...interesting, buyers paying more for future months, could be promising

so frazz what did u find out bout our poor base milk price?

i must ask is everyone happy to leave our product go to consumer foods at a gross price of 30c, this doesnt seem like a reasonable price for the type of product supplied, we only have 5 years of supply contract with them so why not push for stronger price every month instead of fixing this premium product we have nothing to loose milks on the floor, in my opinion we should be getting a price of 32c at minimum or put it to 31c and link to irelands inflation or cpi, if this is the best management can achieve then we need a new team

i will under no circumstance be buying meal off them after their carry on this year bully tactics i dont reward that

Panch18 wrote: »
    He had 10 full time staff, 20 part time staff and how much invested in plant and equipment. He also has a catchment population of 12m.

Very true, although my guess would be that those staff are there because of demand for his product... if he wasn't selling it, he wouldn't need them.

We're not, of course, comparing apples with apples and as you say catchment is vital - but we do have a big metropolitan market on our doorstep, and we bat above our weight internationally.

Believe me as somebody who is doing something vaguely similar, the amount of negativity & doom saying I hear on a daily basis in this country is really surprising - sometimes from people quite willing to put really significant amounts of borrowed capital at risk for substantially lower returns - from a market which is outside their direct control.

It's not a solution for everyone - it's not even a solution for many, perhaps - but it serves to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Very true, although my guess would be that those staff are there because of demand for his product... if he wasn't selling it, he wouldn't need them.

We're not, of course, comparing apples with apples and as you say catchment is vital - but we do have a big metropolitan market on our doorstep, and we bat above our weight internationally.

Believe me as somebody who is doing something vaguely similar, the amount of negativity & doom saying I hear on a daily basis in this country is really surprising - sometimes from people quite willing to put really significant amounts of borrowed capital at risk for substantially lower returns - from a market which is outside their direct control.

It's not a solution for everyone - it's not even a solution for many, perhaps - but it serves to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
    Is there much initial investment in making cheese? I haven't a clue!! I don't know anyone making some

kevthegaff wrote:
    Is there much initial investment in making cheese? I haven't a clue!! I don't know anyone making some

Like most things it depends on ingenuity and approach. Could spend €500k in a heartbeat or spend €25k and the results might be all the better for it. Complying with hygiene requirements is a big issue but doesn't have to be a killer if approached intelligently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

Does Jim o'Brien make much cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Meeting of all liquid and winter suppliers from all coops in Portlaoise on Monday. Bonus only item on the agenda.

IFA liquid milk committee organising

8.30 Killeshin Hotel

Meeting of all liquid and winter suppliers from all coops in Portlaoise on Monday. Bonus only item on the agenda.

8.30 Killeshin Hotel
    did you hear are there any buses going or do we make our own way?

Base 25.5. Received 32.106c/l @3.97p and 4.35bf.,
    31.789 after levies. No winter bonus in oct for winter milk scheme here. That's 0.2 c/l ahead of society avg.

Difference of 5.8c/l between top and bottom 10% of suppliers due to solids, obviously some winter suppliers may calve earlier and would have lower solids and higher yields

any sign of ifa using our membership to start holding these meeting on line, half a million would go a long way towards a few cameras and mics and a website to stream

any sign of ifa using our membership to start holding these meeting on line, half a million would go a long way towards a few cameras and mics and a website to stream
    good idea, i want to go to portlaoise, would probably take 90 minutes at least to get there, need to get someone to bring kids to training and to mind them after if I am to go. Probably wouldnt be home until well after midnight. Would be handy to be able to be there from home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

3 yrs ago we were barely filling 3 sheds with stock.
    This yr have 7 different sheds and all full with dairy stock :) and will have to turn straw shed into calving pens come jan.
    Really looking forward to next yr I feel it's going to be a real turning point for us here despite the milk price problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

It wouldnt work too well if IFA telecom is their provider...

did you hear are there any buses going or do we make our own way?

FMP rep will know

It wouldnt work too well if IFA telecom is their provider...

Brilliant LOL

Could you imagine the chaos?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

3 yrs ago we were barely filling 3 sheds with stock.
    This yr have 7 different sheds and all full with dairy stock :) and will have to turn straw shed into calving pens come jan.
    Really looking forward to next yr I feel it's going to be a real turning point for us here despite the milk price problems

Similar here, have the feeling we, ll look back on this period as the watershed, just not sure is it the beginning of the end or the beginning of great things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

keep going wrote: »
    Similar here, have the feeling we, ll look back on this period as the watershed, just not sure is it the beginning of the end or the beginning of great things

Agreed, I've changed my outlook definitely, still positive about the the dairy industry moving forward, and on improving technical efficiency here at home etc, of which I've made good inroads to over the last 2yrs, but I'm certainly alot more aware now of how delicate the markets we are heading into, NZ during the last 20yrs has regularly had to deal with prices under 20cent, and if we are trying to be NZ 2.0 then we'll get the same, so moving forward I am taking a lot more interest in things like the costs of production, keeping borrowings reasonable, cutting excess spending etc.

Could you imagine the chaos?

dont understand what chaos, it would be less chaos than 16000 of us showing up at one hotel:) if were spending 500k on salaries the cost isnt the issue

same applies for processors and coop meetings, why not spent the money on IT instead of paying hotels for tea and coffee or ballygown, provides us with real time information accessible to all....improves transparency which is what we badly need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

keep going wrote: »

I had lost my enthusiasm for dairy the last few months with all the doom and gloom surrounding it.
    I wasnt busy enough, I'm flat out now atm and I love it.

Only 70 days till start of a new season lads !!

I had lost my enthusiasm for dairy the last few months with all the doom and gloom surrounding it.
    I wasnt busy enough, I'm flat out now atm and I love it.

Only 70 days till start of a new season lads !!
    bull gone in with heifers yesterday and 4 for ai in the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

bull gone in with heifers yesterday and 4 for ai in the morning

:0 what bulls you using

Timmaay wrote: »
    Agreed, I've changed my outlook definitely, still positive about the the dairy industry moving forward, and on improving technical efficiency here at home etc, of which I've made good inroads to over the last 2yrs, but I'm certainly alot more aware now of how delicate the markets we are heading into, NZ during the last 20yrs has regularly had to deal with prices under 20cent, and if we are trying to be NZ 2.0 then we'll get the same, so moving forward I am taking a lot more interest in things like the costs of production, keeping borrowings reasonable, cutting excess spending etc.

On a similar line here ,place now set up for 110/120 cows 1 and a bit man show .on nz why should we be aiming to be a. Nz 2.0???.simillarities are there yes but why set ourselves up to mass produce cheap extremely volatile commodities and be heavily dependent on a market like China.we need to keep finding niche markets ,produce and market high quality products and go the opposite way to the kiwis to a point .dont know about anyone else but could anyone in this country survive 2/3 years on the hop of sub 20 cent prices like the kiwis are facing ????

8.30 Killeshin Hotel

As it's probably Eddie D first outing post renumerationgate whats the bet there will be much achieved at this

He spoke ad nauseum at the large FMP meeting last year about how winter /liquid supplier would/ could no longer accept what bonus was on offer and make it pay only for his FMP chairman to address the meeting and announce that earlier that day they had done just that.
    Wasted alot of people's time that night.

:0 what bulls you using
    lwr and will see what ai man has, not very orgainised :cool:

As it's probably Eddie D first outing post renumerationgate whats the bet there will be much achieved at this

He spoke ad nauseum at the large FMP meeting last year about how winter /liquid supplier would/ could no longer accept what bonus was on offer and make it pay only for his FMP chairman to address the meeting and announce that earlier that day they had done just that.
    Wasted alot of people's time that night.

"His FMP chairman"? You may explain that one

• Advertisement

"His FMP chairman"? You may explain that one

Said in same context as "his grain committee chairman "etc
    Do you see FMP as anything other than another arm of the IFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

On a similar line here ,place now set up for 110/120 cows 1 and a bit man show .on nz why should we be aiming to be a. Nz 2.0???.simillarities are there yes but why set ourselves up to mass produce cheap extremely volatile commodities and be heavily dependent on a market like China.we need to keep finding niche markets ,produce and market high quality products and go the opposite way to the kiwis to a point .dont know about anyone else but could anyone in this country survive 2/3 years on the hop of sub 20 cent prices like the kiwis are facing ????

Agreed fully we shouldn't be. But is that not happening already, just look at Glanbia well behind other coops, because they put all their eggs in the bellview drying plant basket. On the sub 20 that shouldn't happen as the market in general has lifted above what it was back 10yrs ago when NZ often only got 17c/l, but my point still stands, I want a system that is sustainable long term at a milk price of say 28c average.

I see FMP as a highly organised group completely committed to advancing the lot of Glanbia Liquid Farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭BG2.0

Ifa grain committee are hopeless the idea of a company even trying to force farmers to buy inputs from them to have their grain purchased in return should leave a very quite yard that harvest.

I see FMP as a highly organised group completely committed to advancing the lot of Glanbia Liquid Farmers.

Dont doubt their commitment.

Lets hope they're organised . Consumer foods have designs on mopping up small liquid quota holdings and creating a 2 tier pricing scheme for anyone hoping to expand their liquid enterprise.
    Large volumes of "top tier" quota have been lost into a big black hole on FMP's watch due to being unfilled in any given year and cancelled on a gallon for gallon basis.
    The group is made up of a dozen or so regional groups and from this outpost its the old LMP in disguise

Dont doubt their commitment.

Lets hope they're organised . Consumer foods have designs on mopping up small liquid quota holdings and creating a 2 tier pricing scheme for anyone hoping to expand their liquid enterprise.
    Large volumes of "top tier" quota have been lost into a big black hole on FMP's watch due to being unfilled in any given year and cancelled on a gallon for gallon basis.
    The group is made up of a dozen or so regional groups and from this outpost its the old LMP in disguise

Regardless of your opinion they're not an IFA group. The national milk comm and the liquid milk comm are like the grain committee

I'm not going to defend or attack FMP just to say they aren't an IFA committee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Correct

off my latest milk cheque the following were deducted
    Bord Bainne 44.43
    Dairy research levy 11.43
    Dairy council levy 37.80
    Govt services 54.00
    Disease eradication 32.40
    National milk agency 11.13
    Fmp levy 38.18
    total 229.37 :eek:
    wtf is government services and if they are getting 50 euro a month off the average farmer what does it go towards

whelan2 wrote:
    off my latest milk cheque the following were deducted Bord Bainne 44.43 Dairy research levy 11.43 Dairy council levy 37.80 Govt services 54.00 Disease eradication 32.40 National milk agency 11.13 Fmp levy 38.18 total 229.37 wtf is government services and if they are getting 50 euro a month off the average farmer what does it go towards

That's shocking.

I know it's charged per litre, but these come straight out of your pocket, they are just taxes.

It's a bit like adding the property tax and water charges together and applying them only to farmers

You'd want to be sure of what you are getting in return.

• Advertisement

off my latest milk cheque the following were deducted
    Bord Bainne 44.43
    Dairy research levy 11.43
    Dairy council levy 37.80
    Govt services 54.00
    Disease eradication 32.40
    National milk agency 11.13
    Fmp levy 38.18
    total 229.37 :eek:
    wtf is government services and if they are getting 50 euro a month off the average farmer what does it go towards

Ours are
    Bovine disease levy 0.06c
    Dairy inspection levy 0.1c
    Dairy research levy 0.018c
    Irish dairy board levy 0.14c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement