Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Seems China and it's drive for mega dairies is cooling down too, intresting article in hoards dairy about the export of dairy heifers to China from new zealand/Australia dropping dramatically, 144,000 animals where imported in 2014 with numbers to the end of spetember 2015 at 27,000 pretty steep drop off

About time they copped on and realised that they get it deliverered to their door for 1/2 what it costs them to produce it themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

china are currently paying 51c a litre for November milk its costing that to produce

they seem happy to pay at that price many still favoring imported produce so they do value the milk

if the self sufficient idea doesnt work they will just buy farms or processors to keep control even if not producing domestically, nz and oz trying to cool this at present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

china are currently paying 51c a litre for November milk its costing that to produce

they seem happy to pay at that price many still favoring imported produce so they do value the milk

if the self sufficient idea doesnt work they will just buy farms or processors to keep control even if not producing domestically, nz and oz trying to cool this at present

Is an Irish processor on the horizon for China, Sweet one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

net milk price 35.74 solids weren't great tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

whelan2 wrote: »
    net milk price 35.74 solids weren't great tbh

Does that include liquid bonus?

Does that include liquid bonus?
    yes but not the 1 cent top up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

yes but not the 1 cent top up

34.98 c here ,no winter milk contract .4.96 fat 4.17 p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

mahoney_j wrote: »
    34.98 c here ,no winter milk contract .4.96 fat 4.17 p.

Where they on silage for.much of nov mj?

Milked out wrote: »
    Where they on silage for.much of nov mj?

Just before evening milking from 20 Nov on ,housed full time 28 I think,grass day and night to then .been exceptional year here for solids .average so far for December 5.34 and 4.05 on oad .all cows dry on Monday am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Just before evening milking from 20 Nov on ,housed full time 28 I think,grass day and night to then .been exceptional year here for solids .average so far for December 5.34 and 4.05 on oad .all cows dry on Monday am

What was the base jerry?

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What was the base jerry?

Same base as last month Kev 25.89 .base price nailed on at that till at least March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

3.67p
    4.96 bf.
    Finished grass 12th nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

31.75. Base 25.5 Dairygold. Fat 4.81. P 3.72. Housed 11 Nov. Average yield17.2lts. per cow per day for the month on 4kg meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

40c a liter here 3.9 protein, 4.5bf

29.484c/l at 3.58p and 4.27 bf. Not including winter bonus. Calving aut calvers tighter reduced solids on the month last year but increased volume by 40% on last year with a similar no of cows overall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nearly had a small heart attack in centra this evening, saw 85 cent on the shelf, picked up a litre of avonmore milk, went to the till, handed yer man a euro and he says it's €1.35. Yer not serious says I.

We normally buy 6L for €4 in dunnes! The 85 must have been a half litre.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Nearly had a small heart attack in centra this evening, saw 85 cent on the shelf, picked up a litre of avonmore milk, went to the till, handed yer man a euro and he says it's €1.35. Yer not serious says I.

We normally buy 6L for €4 in dunnes! The 85 must have been a half litre.
    85 cent was probably for own brand milk. It's 1.50for a litre of avonmore"pink" milk-slimline in local shop while its 85 cent for 1 litre of aldi's own brand pink milk in aldi. The Dunnes milk is great value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Is the pink slimline basically just watered down milk? Always wondered that.

Kovu wrote: »
    yup, we can drink 3 times as much pink milk as full fat milk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

yup, we can drink 3 times as much pink milk as full fat milk

Whoops- thought I was in the chit chat thread. Thanks for that!

Whoops- thought I was in the chit chat thread. Thanks for that!

That's you banned for posting in the wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

32.8 cent/litre 3.24 protein and 4.07 butterfat

27.439 for manufacturing
    33.349 for liquid

BF 4.94
    Pr 4.03
    39.8 inc winter bonus

BF 5.09
    Pr 4.66
    40 inc winter

Above not inc 1c coop top up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

They nearly took back half my cookie jar money in levies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

The EU dairy payment is in my account today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Not watered down. Whole milk is passed through a centrifugal separator which removes the fat in the form of cream, giving you skimmed milk. This is what makes the skimmed milk powder we all hear so much about.
    Skim retains practically all of the protein but less than 0.1% fat. It may be perceived as "watered down" when consumed, but that's due to the absence of fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭red bull

All milk that goes through a liquid milk plant has the fat (cream) removed by a centrifugal separator. The cream and the skim milk are then pasteurised. After that the fat is homogenised with skim milk to the desired level. Full fat / low fat / slimline. etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Spoke to an uncle for quite some time over Xmas. Early eighties and just retiring in the new year.
    Few hundred acres of land with dairy, beef and tillage.
    Anyhow the general gist of what he was saying is that there will be no difference in the near/medium future between any of the farm enterprises...
    He reckons that *acres* are what will be the difference.

Dawggone wrote: »
    Spoke to an uncle for quite some time over Xmas. Early eighties and just retiring in the new year.
    Few hundred acres of land with dairy, beef and tillage.
    Anyhow the general gist of what he was saying is that there will be no difference in the near/medium future between any of the farm enterprises...
    He reckons that *acres* are what will be the difference.
    What was his logic on this?
    Only so many acres one mam cam physically farm

• Advertisement

World markets. Everything now produced on Irish farms is for world markets.

How many acres do you think a man can farm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That question has a rake of answers !

Only so many acres one mam cam physically farm

That's true gg but 2 men may manage 300 better than one man at 120 obviously plenty ifs and buts but scale does bring advantages. This is where Ireland could lose out unless land prices correct downwards. Edit to say I mean cow numbers above. Have no experience of tillage so can't comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I've a sneeky suspicion we reached the top of land prices, young farmers temporarily boosted it last year with the national reserve top up. I believe low prices and time (old farmers calling it a day) will reduce rental value, but the big problem of sentiment will always exist... I think a man could manage 160 cows with contracting slurry, bulk fertiliser, etc and a very good system!! I'm seriously considering 160 with buying in replacements, doesn't make sense keeping heifers and calves and another labour unit

. I think a man could manage 160 cows with contracting slurry, bulk fertiliser, etc and a very good system!! I'm seriously considering 160 with buying in replacements, doesn't make sense keeping heifers and calves and another labour unit

+1.
    Definitely agree about rearing replacements, unless you're like Stan...

When you go for contractors for slurry, silage, fert etc, aren't you also contracting in labour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've a sneeky suspicion we reached the top of land prices, young farmers temporarily boosted it last year with the national reserve top up. I believe low prices and time (old farmers calling it a day) will reduce rental value, but the big problem of sentiment will always exist... I think a man could manage 160 cows with contracting slurry, bulk fertiliser, etc and a very good system!! I'm seriously considering 160 with buying in replacements, doesn't make sense keeping heifers and calves and another labour unit
    We're looking at 140+ here probably max out at 150. The facilities would have to be good, ie good roads, fencing and simple yard. Slurry and silage contracted out and probably spring fertiliser too. Calves on automatic feeder in the next few years as well and a fair bit of relief milking as well. Lots of vaccinations to minimise outbreaks of as much as posssible.

It's all fine going up in numbers when everything is going well but an outbreak of scour/lameness or anything else and the wheels fall off pretty quickly.:(

We're looking at 140+ here probably max out at 150. The facilities would have to be good, ie good roads, fencing and simple yard. Slurry and silage contracted out and probably spring fertiliser too. Calves on automatic feeder in the next few years as well and a fair bit of relief milking as well. Lots of vaccinations to minimise outbreaks of as much as posssible.

It's all fine going up in numbers when everything is going well but an outbreak of scour/lameness or anything else and the wheels fall off pretty quickly.:(

I just can't understand the love that you guys have for working on your own. I've been without help for Xmas and it's the most depressing of misery...I just couldn't get out every morning on me todd!

Your last paragraph hit it on the head

I just can't understand the love that you guys have for working on your own. I've been without help for Xmas and it's the most depressing of misery...I just couldn't get out every morning on me todd!

It makes you appreciate what help you do have. Pain in the hole looking at people with the guts of 2 weeks off and us up every morning

I reckon I could do 140 cows on my own with heifers contract reared. I haven't the set up for that many atm (have the land) if I don't contract rear heifers it'll mean I'll have to step on someone's toes locally to get enough aswell as try get casual labour for spring and relief milkers

• Advertisement

Not so much a love for working on ones own but the cost of employing someone Is the difficulty at the below 150 cow mark. The lads I know with fulltime help at these numbers generally have a second income from the partner or the odd lad who has set themselves up well while younger and can afford to take someone on now they are older as maintenance is all that's needed as opposed to unvestment

Not so much a love for working on ones own but the cost of employing someone Is the difficulty at the below 150 cow mark. The lads I know with fulltime help at these numbers generally have a second income from the partner or the odd lad who has set themselves up well while younger and can afford to take someone on now they are older as maintenance is all that's needed as opposed to unvestment

I spoke to a large dairy operator in the south of Ireland yesterday. He is having a lot of hassle sourcing the right staff, and when he does get them, they move on after a couple of years. He reckons that his name is now a "brand" and when someone works for him they can walk into any dairy farm job....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Kev, I'm very close to that here. I'm at the 160 on a 1 man setup. But long term I'm wondering how sustainable it is. Financially there's nothing wrong with it. And labour wise it's doable.
    I'm doing the slurry fert and mowing/tedding as well.
    And The heifers are contracted out. (Works for me)
    But on the 160 on my own it's a good business plan, but is it sustainable long term ? Tbh the biggest issue with it is, it will get boring as fcuk. Grand for a year or 2, but are you going to face into 160 cows morning and evening for the next 20 yrs. And you're falling between 2 stools on labour, down the road it'll be hard to justify a full time, but you'll need casual labour.
    What I'm thinking here is to push on upto 200, with no capital spend and get someone to go 50/50 on milkings.
    Loose Dec and Jan so 22 weeks per year at €700 per week? €15400? And keep my slurry and fert ,etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

+1
    And also the fact that land is a huge limiting factor here as well. We generally find it difficult to sell up and move to a bigger, better farm because we are so embedded in the locality. And finding land near you or even within 5 miles at an affordable price is generally difficult.

I came across this article this morning (beats working!) about investment strategies for buying land in the US but it's fairly applicable here too.

https://landandlivestock.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/getting-into-the-cattle-business-buying-a-ranch-and-making-it-pay/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

We don't love working on our own, it's the realisation that while we're happy to work for little or nothing, it's harder than we thought to find another fool,
    This year I had a guy in from Sept to Dec to cover me for an injury and I have to say it was an eye opener. I was doing all the usual jobs but didn't milk. I had cows in for him, he milked, I washed up. But that extra hour freed up morning and evening meant the place ran like clockwork, I was ahead of the jobs instead of trying to catch up all the time. Having someone around gave me great motivation.

I spoke to a large dairy operator in the south of Ireland yesterday. He is having a lot of hassle sourcing the right staff, and when he does get them, they move on after a couple of years. He reckons that his name is now a "brand" and when someone works for him they can walk into any dairy farm job....

I'm interviewing a guy in half an hour. Id be very disappointed if he doesn't want to move on after a few yrs. can't beat ambition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Father died here when I was 16 so I m well accustomed to working on my own, in fact I happier on my own.as things have grown I have to think carefully about how I do things and what I do and contractors will play a bigger role in the set up.anything thats drawn on a road will be contractor and will have to look at getting builders in instead of attacking things myself.while im sowing beet next year as part of reseeding the new block im going away from reddning ground as theres a pile of work in it or else employing contractors which leaves very little margin.also renting land is coming under the spot light in terms of labour, at current prices bought in ration is very competitive when you allow for labour in renting land and the fact when you rent land you shell out at the start of the year but it can be a long time before you have milk in 4he tank out of it where as when you buy a load of ration you have the milk in the tank before you have to pay for the ration.currently at around 160 livestock units and I know it but the strange thing is this time of year 7 probaly had more to do in a day before than now but once febuary 1 comes I ll be a hell of alot busier than before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Kev, I'm very close to that here. I'm at the 160 on a 1 man setup. But long term I'm wondering how sustainable it is. Financially there's nothing wrong with it. And labour wise it's doable.
    I'm doing the slurry fert and mowing/tedding as well.
    And The heifers are contracted out. (Works for me)
    But on the 160 on my own it's a good business plan, but is it sustainable long term ? Tbh the biggest issue with it is, it will get boring as fcuk. Grand for a year or 2, but are you going to face into 160 cows morning and evening for the next 20 yrs. And you're falling between 2 stools on labour, down the road it'll be hard to justify a full time, but you'll need casual labour.
    What I'm thinking here is to push on upto 200, with no capital spend and get someone to go 50/50 on milkings.
    Loose Dec and Jan so 22 weeks per year at €700 per week? €15400? And keep my slurry and fert ,etc

Only pushing 100here, with my dad still involved, and whereas I know I've along way to go in terms of compact spring only calving, the thought of 160cows on myown 2bh isn't appealing at all, certainly not long term. Dwaggone word "depressing" sums up farming on youown very well 2bh. Anyways the grazing block here will hold 130 comfy enough, however long term I'd jump on any sort of opportunity that would let me push on up over 180, and go employ someone fulltime, I'd be the relief milker etc, and I've certainly got plenty of potential income sources outside of farming (if I had someone fulltime I definitely wont be sitting on my arse doing nothing with the spare hours ha). The more medium term plan is sort out some sort of accommodation for a student etc on the farm over the spring. Splitting a labour unit with another local dairyfarmer would be a definite runner also.

I'm interviewing a guy in half an hour. Id be very disappointed if he doesn't want to move on after a few yrs. can't beat ambition

Well, will he be pulling on the team Frazz jersey?
    Do you insist that they get the Frazz tattoo? :)

• Advertisement

Well, will he be pulling on the team Frazz jersey?
    Do you insist that they get the Frazz tattoo? :)

He was 2 hrs late. To put it in HR terms "he wasn't the right fit for our organisation" :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement