Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

He was 2 hrs late. To put it in HR terms "he wasn't the right fit for our organisation" :)

Lord jaysus , what was his excuse for being late ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Bullocks wrote: »
    Lord jaysus , what was his excuse for being late ?

I didn't even ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Had my 3 month student call here yesterday for his interview, I told him I'd be around the yard between 3 and 4, he arrived at 330 on the button, I've a feeling he'll be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A lad rang me there wanting to know was I going to participate in the glanbia fixed price scceme, closing date is Thursday. I had forgotten all about it, so whats the feeling on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

whelan2 wrote: »
    A lad rang me there wanting to know was I going to participate in the glanbia fixed price scceme, closing date is Thursday. I had forgotten all about it, so whats the feeling on it?

We put in for 500k l reckon we'll get less than 100k

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

What's the offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

We're looking at 140+ here probably max out at 150. The facilities would have to be good, ie good roads, fencing and simple yard. Slurry and silage contracted out and probably spring fertiliser too. Calves on automatic feeder in the next few years as well and a fair bit of relief milking as well. Lots of vaccinations to minimise outbreaks of as much as posssible.

It's all fine going up in numbers when everything is going well but an outbreak of scour/lameness or anything else and the wheels fall off pretty quickly.:(

reading this would make my uncle a happy man!!

(for those not in the know my uncle looks after butford's contracting needs:):))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

reading this would make my uncle a happy man!!

(for those not in the know my uncle looks after butford's contracting needs:):))
    :D

And a good job always, too.

No brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

No brainer

Its small beer though,if you're only allowed put 5% on it?
    Now maybe my maths is wrong but on say 150k gallons,it will only be paid on a max of 7500 gallons or 50 quid a week
    It wouldnt pay the groceries or fill the car with petrol
    If base price rises inside a year,its worth even less
    Thats assuming too that everyone gets a max of 5% allocated

• Advertisement

Its small beer though,if you're only allowed put 5% on it?
    Now maybe my maths is wrong but on say 150k gallons,it will only be paid on a max of 7500 gallons or 50 quid a week
    It wouldnt pay the groceries or fill the car with petrol
    If base price rises inside a year,its worth even less
    Thats assuming too that everyone gets a max of 5% allocated

Small or big, still a no brainer. I still hope base rises but highly unlikely with oil at c$40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

We put in for 500k l reckon we'll get less than 100k

You'll be lucky to get 1k litres a month- I tried to put 1m litres in manufacturing and 1/2 mill in liquid

Going to be the biggest over supscribed ever

Last trading paying really really well😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

we applied for milk only element, will only be tiny amount of supply so wouldnt consider it an effective hedge, base of 27 cents is achievable on export markets eu average price for 2015 was 30 cents

did many go for the feed element? we didnt enter, was only for 4 months of entire scheme and the are so hell bent on achieving margins i cant see how its different here

this will count us out of next fixed price scheme, dont agree with plc dictating terms for our gii fixed price scheme of who can and cant enter, if they want to loose my connection to produce sold in ireland thats produced on my farm so be it, my fridge will look a little different then

we applied for milk only element, will only be tiny amount of supply so wouldnt consider it an effective hedge, base of 27 cents is achievable on export markets eu average price for 2015 was 30 cents

did many go for the feed element? we didnt enter, was only for 4 months of entire scheme and the are so hell bent on achieving margins i cant see how its different here

this will count us out of next fixed price scheme, dont agree with plc dictating terms for our gii fixed price scheme of who can and cant enter, if they want to loose my connection to produce sold in ireland thats produced on my farm so be it, my fridge will look a little different then

Feed element is total optional- it will not count you out of next scheme

Where did you come up with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

stanflt wrote: »
    Feed element is total optional- it will not count you out of next scheme

Where did you come up with that

Those who choose both feed and milk elements will be prioritised for future fixed schemes.

Im paraphrasing as i dont have the form to hand but it was written on first or second page.

mf240 wrote: »
    Those who choose both feed and milk elements will be prioritised for future fixed schemes.

Im paraphrasing as i dont have the form to hand but it was written on first or second page.

Priority will be given to those who were involved in the last 2 fixed price schemes iicrc

Priority will be given to those who were involved in the last 2 fixed price schemes iicrc

Yes thats true.

My post refers to future schemes. Not the current one.

Yes thats true.

My post refers to future schemes. Not the current one.

I didn't lock in feed price
    It's around 40 a ton across the board dearer than what I can buy

if you have a look at page 2 under the heading why i should participate in fixed price scheme it says

"this is no implication for not selecting the feed option in terms of milk volumes allocated under scheme. However in the event gii launch future schemes in partnership with agri business priority access will be given to those who select both fixed milk and fixed feed options"

make u wonder who is dictating terms in our business, 10 million liters put aside for just the liquid milk producers. whats going to available to manufacturing suppliers....how much is the balance??

they should concentrate on getting us the best price for milk (which to date they lagged behind all competitors paying a lower base for 2015) and not be mixing them selves up with doing deals with plc/agri business

we have also been getting feed cheaper else where for past two years so need to look after my margin

He was 2 hrs late. To put it in HR terms "he wasn't the right fit for our organisation" :)

Went to neighbours son today. This guys working with his dad who is really young. Told him what we're looking for. Agreed to come to us provided we'd allow flexibility towards his own work and allow for time off.

We of course agreed, had our eye on him for a while. Most important bit is the fact that we get on really well with him.

We're now sorted for year ahead with full time milker and calf rearer in place. A bit of dry ground to get milkers out wouldn't go astray.

I'm a happy camper here listening to The Wayerboys and the kids gone for evening, may even venture out for a few light ales ;)

• Advertisement

At least 40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

At least 40.
    Do ye have buyer groups??

If you are buying from the same place as me , its a much better feed imo as well as being cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

"this is no implication for not selecting the feed option in terms of milk volumes allocated under scheme. However in the event gii launch future schemes in partnership with agri business priority access will be given to those who select both fixed milk and fixed feed options"

This could mean anything in time to come....It probably means that this time there is no implication in not selecting the feed option but in future schemes such as this, prioritisation will occur.

I really am concerned, particularly after the recent Boherbue decision, that the industry is leading us down a road of controlling both our inputs and our outputs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Then id say you'll get sweet f##k all locked in milk even though you put in for crazy amounts of it, theirz no such thing as a free lunch with glanbia.
    Even though they are out with their fixed in feed price given its a ratio of a ton of feed to 5500 litres of milk, it made perfect sense to sign up for both on the assumption they'd give priority to suppliers who ticked both boxes so they wouldnt having to be touring the country with lorries blowing in 1-2tons of feed a supplier if they do go and divide up the milk pool with no bias towards lads that fixed in feed and didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Lakeland hold at 26.25c for dec, will it go lower for the year ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Feck, I didn't realize those prices are inc vat!
    That's poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Dawggone wrote: »
    Feck, I didn't realize those prices are inc vat!
    That's poor.

The vat is only the 5.2% top up for non vat registered farmers I think? But anyways I thought the price didn't include vat?

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    The vat is only the 5.2% top up for non vat registered farmers I think? But anyways I thought the price didn't include vat?

Oh yes,the price glanbia announces with great acclaim every month includes vat
    They have a right time
    Shur they'd have to tell you the 'market' price is 22c otherwise as thats all they are actually paying for your milk
    Their return on your solids, the govt and the co op using your own money pay the rest

If solids are below threshold less Again of course

55% of our dairy exports is going to uk and eu both strong markets,
    45% is hitting Asia, Africa and america
    milk prices in china and usa are strong so africa seems to be the loss leader they must be sending all our produce there its the only market i can think of where returns could be so low

Jan-Nov milk base price 2015 figures
    France 4 producers avg base of 32.84c
    friesland avg base 29.81c
    GII 26.84
    Kerry 28.16
    China 52.52
    USA 35.96
    Fonterra 23.59
    avg eu price 30.96
    no other irish processors listed so dont have their base figures

cant understand how we produced 13% extra milk but only exported 4% extra where did the 9% of produce go, is it tied up in cheese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

cant understand how we produced 13% extra milk but only exported 4% extra where did the 9% of produce go, is it tied up in cheese?

Is one figure by value and one by volume by any chance?

Or, as you say, cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

55% of our dairy exports is going to uk and eu both strong markets,
    45% is hitting Asia, Africa and america
    milk prices in china and usa are strong so africa seems to be the loss leader they must be sending all our produce there its the only market i can think of where returns could be so low

Product mix. I've been banging on about this a while now. Percentage of milk going to powder and not enough to high value table top products is what's pulling down the average price. This is where the coops have dropped the ball in the post quota era. Not enough work done on new high value products and not enough work done on getting markets for those products.
    Fired up a drier to dump powder onto the market. Lazy.

ya that could actually be value not volume that makes sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

A lot of product is in storage waiting for the market to lift before its exported

• Advertisement

I split the herd earlier last year. Sold one milk tank and bought two smaller tanks. Anyhow the one I have now is actually too small...so I got onto milk manager to see if they would collect every day.

In talking to him he tells me that there is a good probability that the Coop will lift milk price from April.
    32cpl is being discussed....
    I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I split the herd earlier last year. Sold one milk tank and bought two smaller tanks. Anyhow the one I have now is actually too small...so I got onto milk manager to see if they would collect every day.

In talking to him he tells me that there is a good probability that the Coop will lift milk price from April.
    32cpl is being discussed....
    I'll believe it when I see it.

What are ye at atm

What are ye at atm

28.75cpl +vat base.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭C0N0R

28.75cpl +vat base.

Is that at 3.6 bf 3.3 pr?

C0N0R wrote: »
    Is that at 3.6 bf 3.3 pr?

3.2pr and 3.8 bf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I see town of monaghan have increased their price by 1c

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I see togwn of monaghan have increased their price by 1c

Ha, that journal article is slightly inaccurate, they have given an extra cent for December milk as a bonus but the base price is still the same if you know what I mean, everyone receives it. They took half a cent off in October and said the base would stay at 25.75 for November and December, I would take it to be a slight reversal on that decision.

29.75c /l nett price for Dec milk. Appears to be no bonus on the surplus, have to check that up, but if it's correct then I 100% should have sold all my autumn calvers, at nothing if that's all I get after pumping the cows with maize and nuts for the month.

29.75c /l nett price for Dec milk. Appears to be no bonus on the surplus, have to check that up, but if it's correct then I 100% should have sold all my autumn calvers, at nothing if that's all I get after pumping the cows with maize and nuts for the month.

What did you get for liquid?? Were you pushing cows or feeding to requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

If you had to buy in feed anyway for winter what would you have needed in terms of silage to match what you bought in maize? Would the cost have been similar?

C0N0R wrote: »
    What did you get for liquid?? Were you pushing cows or feeding to requirements?

34 for liquid, solids went to sh1t 2bh.

35.87 net milk price for December here, solids were crap enough also. BF around 4 and pr hovering above and below 3.3, much better last year. Not growing triticale/lupins this year didnt get a great crop for what it cost me last year. So will either buy in maize or I dont know what else to do? Very small amount of manufacturing milk sent in here for December

35.87 net milk price for December here, solids were crap enough also. BF around 4 and pr hovering above and below 3.3, much better last year. Not growing triticale/lupins this year didnt get a great crop for what it cost me last year. So will either buy in maize or I dont know what else to do? Very small amount of manufacturing milk sent in here for December
    You've probably a bigger liquid contract than Timmaay and slightly higher solids,hence the big difference
    Net was just above 33 here
    You'd want a lot more

You've probably a bigger liquid contract than Timmaay and slightly higher solids,hence the big difference
    Net was just above 33 here
    You'd want a lot more

I'm officially finished with autumn calving from now on. Was talking to a neighbour who always had a similar sized milkquota to me last night, he got 37cent for his milk, and knocked out double the volume for Dec. I'm utterly wasting my time trying to compete with that ha.

Re liquid contracts does anyone care to share the breakdown of how they achieved their price? Ie base of 25 liquid bonus of 7cpl and whatever else to get to their price?? I'm happy to share when my December arrives!! From what I know our liquid is base manufacturing plus bonus and solids don't make a difference, is this the case everywhere??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement