Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

keep going wrote: »
    Just out of curiosty where in the world is the cheapest place to produce milk at the moment

??
    Éire. Where else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Just out of curiosty where in the world is the cheapest place to produce milk at the moment

Family outfit....no employees...France

Othewise US...

alps wrote: »

Othewise US...

Ah no!
    I deliberately posted Éire because the northern lads are stoned on zero grazers and diet feeders.

:)

Dawggone wrote: »
    Ah no!
    I deliberately posted Éire because the northern lads are stoned on zero grazers and diet feeders.

Reckon there a fair bit of heavy metal disease in France Dawgone much of it driven by a lack of appreciation towards the taxman...and employment laws that we could not deal with here in Ireland....but a well run family show in France can throw out some money. ...

The US I referred to was of course Mr Trump's United States.....that's where you get cheap labour....and Trump won't say no to yhat...

Land prices at 10k per acre I'm NZ would now rule that out as one of the cheap options, and we haven't been that for a while, so my reckoning is US...cheap inputs, cheap labour, ball of cows on a dirt patch and a milking parlour that can stay going 24/7.....

Reckon there a fair bit of heavy metal disease in France Dawgone much of it driven by a lack of appreciation towards the taxman...and employment laws that we could not deal with here in Ireland....but a well run family show in France can throw out some money. ...

The US I referred to was of course Mr Trump's United States.....that's where you get cheap labour....and Trump won't say no to yhat...

Land prices at 10k per acre I'm NZ would now rule that out as one of the cheap options, and we haven't been that for a while, so my reckoning is US...cheap inputs, cheap labour, ball of cows on a dirt patch and a milking parlour that can stay going 24/7.....

You mightn't be far off the mark. I have no knowledge of the U.S. but the sizeable french family farms are doing fine...only for the madness of paying 46cpl for production rights. Lots of small herds exiting dairy now, only to be snapped up by the larger farmers.
    There may not be many small dairy herds left in the business when this spell is over. Let's face it 46cpl is a nice touch. I'd take it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

We were told all the elaborate investment by some of the Irish processors was for high end value added powders for baby foods and such.The proof of the pudding is the eating. Looks like farmers were told a few porkies.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/irish-production-of-skimmed-milk-powder-up-146-in-three-years/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Othewise US...

Would a well run irish family farm milking say 100 cows with little borrowings would be fairly competitive with anywhere in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Hard to see oil staying as cheap as it is at present. Already Russian and Saudi Arabia are starting to talk. No oil country can sustain present cheap oil prices. What is underpinning the US milk price at present is not only cheap oil but a strong beef price. HO bull calves are making 350 dollars a pop at 3-4 weeks of age. Big difference compared to when they were shooting them a few years ago. That is worth 3c/litre to them. That is before you factor in extra cull value. The beef value may be worth 5-6c/L compare historical averages.

If beef price falls in the US late this year as expected and oil rises in price the whole dynamic changes. Cheap labour is there only advantage then.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

How are you converting calf and cull values into cents/litre?

Meat value divide by average cow production per year = cents per litre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

You mightn't be far off the mark. I have no knowledge of the U.S. but the sizeable french family farms are doing fine...only for the madness of paying 46cpl for production rights. Lots of small herds exiting dairy now, only to be snapped up by the larger farmers.
    There may not be many small dairy herds left in the business when this spell is over. Let's face it 46cpl is a nice touch. I'd take it!

When your processor was trying to talk you into more dairy production was this 46c/l in the mix? If it was no wonder you weren't biting. But of a disconnect between good young cows in milk @ €700 and milk production rights @ 46c/l.

• Advertisement

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    How are you converting calf and cull values into cents/litre?

Meat value divide by average cow production per year = cents per litre?

divide 350 by 8000(litres of milk) that gives you 4.375. I am allowing them 1.375c/L or 110 euro to rear the calf and about 160 euro as extra cull value.

Slava Ukrainii

When your processor was trying to talk you into more dairy production was this 46c/l in the mix? If it was no wonder you weren't biting. But of a disconnect between good young cows in milk @ €700 and milk production rights @ 46c/l.

The production rights are only an issue in the large dairy area in the north. Last April they started trading at 4c but big demand has driven the trade to 46c. Mad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Hard to see oil staying as cheap as it is at present. Already Russian and Saudi Arabia are starting to talk. No oil country can sustain present cheap oil prices. What is underpinning the US milk price at present is not only cheap oil but a strong beef price. HO bull calves are making 350 dollars a pop at 3-4 weeks of age. Big difference compared to when they were shooting them a few years ago. That is worth 3c/litre to them. That is before you factor in extra cull value. The beef value may be worth 5-6c/L compare historical averages.

If beef price falls in the US late this year as expected and oil rises in price the whole dynamic changes. Cheap labour is there only advantage then.

Its hard to see oil going up much really, everyone seems to want a decent market share and a single producer like Saudi doesn't have as much control as they did one time, I think oils role in low grain prices is overstated there's a lot more acres cropped and more farmers have access to inputs than ever before.

Just when I was getting a bit fed up with boards a thead like this comes along.there is tendency for people to take any given position as a long term given but it is only really for that day.look at how sentiment to sterling has changed in 6 months and while it took a little longer look at the amazing turnaround in property prices in ireland.you would have been a plucky boy to go saying that in a pub a few years ago.so regards oil and grain prices at the minute they are unstainable at current levels so they have to rise and once the world gets a handle on china it will also help too even if china dosent return to previous growth levels.but heres the tricky one , when and how should you postion yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Just when I was getting a bit fed up with boards a thead like this comes along.there is tendency for people to take any given position as a long term given but it is only really for that day.look at how sentiment to sterling has changed in 6 months and while it took a little longer look at the amazing turnaround in property prices in ireland.you would have been a plucky boy to go saying that in a pub a few years ago.so regards oil and grain prices at the minute they are unstainable at current levels so they have to rise and once the world gets a handle on china it will also help too even if china dosent return to previous growth levels.but heres the tricky one , when and how should you postion yourself

You're not far off the mark, but with milk pricing you can get a good indication ( indication, that's all) of things to come in 6 or 12 month blocks. The quantity and success of cereal sowing across Europe and the US. That will indicate the first 6 months and the size of the harvest itself will indicate the following 6-12 months. Oil price helps with predictions but I find that gives more of an indication of cereal prices which then follows to milk price,whereas cereal quantity and price gives a more direct milk price indication.
    That's why the minister for ag and other people coming out last year saying milk price was going to improve in '16 was pie in the sky stuff. For the moment there is a surplus of cheap grain there till the next harvest at least so there's no reason why milk prices should rise for most of '16. If we pass September '16 and the harvest looks good, you can guess what the milk price for '17 is going to look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Just when I was getting a bit fed up with boards a thead like this comes along.there is tendency for people to take any given position as a long term given but it is only really for that day.

Just as we all talk our own book ("when you have a hammer in your hand, everything looks like a nail")... we also muddle time-frames to suit our purpose at the time.

In extremis what worries me is that the entire cheap grass / powder / NZ (call it what you will) model might be something that depends upon the unusual market conditions of 2007-14 for it's very viability. It's clear from the charts that NZ prices before 2004 were a different beast, I'd be interested to hear an NZ perspective on this as well. Did we actually base a long term investment plan on a short term market movement?

Thankfully - in the longer term - we are probably not too far down that road to take stock, and for the short term if this early episode of pain teaches all of us to farm with a sharper pencil it will do us no harm in the great scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I thought he was building a wall to keep them out, or was that to keep them in.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought he was building a wall to keep them out, or was that to keep them in.:D
    Depends on which way the wind is blowing, I'd say.

Could you imaging a world where Trump was president of the US?

It might be time to convert a slurry tank to a fallout shelter.

He's building a wall to get votes......He wasn't too fussy about foreign wives, nor will he be too fussy about foreign workers.
    Mr Trump minds his wallet and his mickey......doesn't mind his mouth too much though....

• Advertisement

He's building a wall to get votes......He wasn't too fussy about foreign wives, nor will he be too fussy about foreign workers.
    Mr Trump minds his wallet and his mickey......doesn't mind his mouth too much though....

Id say he isnt too fussy with his mickey either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Dairygold price fixing form arrived today with a choice of 3 boxes to tick. Thinking about going 15% as a few extra grand in a low milk price situation is worth more than a few lost in a good milk price situation.

I've just spent the afternoon with my processor...
    Long and short is they think that we could be entering an era of volatility, but with a newer and lower base line. The solution is organic... 8% growth yoy and sustainable...blah blah.
    In fairness to them they do have a good eye on margin, added value, and demand.

There is 11cpl of a price differential between organic and ordinary Atm and starting in April they are now going to be paying 42cpl for organic. There was a strong offer of cash (support) for the 3yrs changeover period.

Lookit, I know I was being schmoozed (cheese wine pastis) but they were selling it well...

Thinking on trying a herd...but the downside is the instant devaluation of the land supporting that herd...

Price fixing sounds great. But I guess as farmers we forget that everyone else in the industry have 100% of their wages fixed. We only get what is left over after everyone else gets paid, including the banks. Indeed it is not so long ago that the ICOS were complaining that we are being paid too much.

If you stop and think about it at the end of the day, there is only a certain amount to be divided amongst farmers. So if you over pay someone for 15% of their milk then to balance the books you will have to underpay them for the other 75% of their milk, or if not take it from someone else's milk. Either way it will just be an exercise of robbing Peter to pay Paul and in the process of doing so, possibly tying both Peter and Paul down to even more terms and conditions.

Id say read the small print. "Terms and conditions may apply, Milk prices may rise as well as fall" Co Op guarantees of income only extend to everyone outside the farm gate. Co Ops are licenced by the ICOS who are a law on to themselves, so anyone with a problem can just go and get stuffed. Always read the label.

There is 11cpl of a price differential between organic and ordinary Atm and starting in April they are now going to be paying 42cpl for organic. There was a strong offer of cash (support) for the 3yrs changeover period.

Lookit, I know I was being schmoozed (cheese wine pastis) but they were selling it well...

Thinking on trying a herd...but the downside is the instant devaluation of the land supporting that herd...

Isn't French land priced as organic anyway :)

Organic keeps nagging at the back of my mind for Ireland. I'd have serious reservations about doing it personally (because in theory I don't need the price premium and I hate the idea of farming a label...) but on the other hand....

I can't think of a country which is nearer the ideal of organics than Ireland.. and yet we have such a low take-up. Would organic milk from Ireland compete in the UK liquid milk market? I know some will say that food miles defeat the purpose but I'm sure Tesco are already running a few bottles of organic milk further around the UK than the distance, for example, from Cork to Bristol.

The takeup of organic food in the US (looking at chains like wholefoods) is a very real development, no longer just a niche.

If we are honest with ourselves, what stops more Irish farmers doing it? Do we really believe that the market just isn't there (organic baby milk anyone?) ... or is it the Irish preference for quantity over quality every time, lash out the fertiliser and watch it come in? Our local consumer market trails behind others (UK, USA) in these premium niches, but I don't know if that is a valid reason for not being organic, or simply a reflection of the same attitudes which stop us as producers - is consumer indifference cause, or effect?

It's easy to say the Irish consumer can't afford to buy organic food, but there's no shortage of people queuing up to pay 14% over the UK price in Tesco, or give €3 to a machine for dishwater flavoured "cappuccino" in the local Topaz.

kowtow wrote: »
    Isn't French land priced as organic anyway :)

Organic keeps nagging at the back of my mind for Ireland. I'd have serious reservations about doing it personally (because in theory I don't need the price premium and I hate the idea of farming a label...) but on the other hand....

I can't think of a country which is nearer the ideal of organics than Ireland.. and yet we have such a low take-up. Would organic milk from Ireland compete in the UK liquid milk market? I know some will say that food miles defeat the purpose but I'm sure Tesco are already running a few bottles of organic milk further around the UK than the distance, for example, from Cork to Bristol.

The takeup of organic food in the US (looking at chains like wholefoods) is a very real development, no longer just a niche.

If we are honest with ourselves, what stops more Irish farmers doing it? Do we really believe that the market just isn't there (organic baby milk anyone?) ... or is it the Irish preference for quantity over quality every time, lash out the fertiliser and watch it come in? Our local consumer market trails behind others (UK, USA) in these premium niches, but I don't know if that is a valid reason for not being organic, or simply a reflection of the same attitudes which stop us as producers - is consumer indifference cause, or effect?

It's easy to say the Irish consumer can't afford to buy organic food, but there's no shortage of people queuing up to pay 14% over the UK price in Tesco, or give €3 to a machine for dishwater flavoured "cappuccino" in the local Topaz.

+1.
    Yes my old soils are worthless!!

The 'organic' thing doesn't sit comfortably on me. A lifetime of pushing the boundaries...I can well remember well the first time I broke the 5ton of wheat per acre barrier.

At present prices the home herd would be €235k p.a better off. Not nickels and dimes.

Tbh I see this organic thing as a 'gimmick', but if that's what the market wants, then give it to them, in spades.

To me, Ireland is in a brilliant position to take advantage of the booming european organic market with the 'green isle' perception by the continentals, but the reliance on high artificial fert usage kills it dead for the ordinary dairy farmer. The industry is not willing (or open) to change tack. All bets are on the 'cheapest producer of bulk products' chips.

I'm divided in my thinking...I'm off now for a large bowl of generic coffee from a trendy chain of 'shopping/lifestyle' experience Americana tripe that passes as excellence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Dairygold price fixing form arrived today with a choice of 3 boxes to tick. Thinking about going 15% as a few extra grand in a low milk price situation is worth more than a few lost in a good milk price situation.

Just wondering here why are Dairygold saying a % of milk. Say if you supply 100 litres this year, 15% would be 15 litres. But if you supply 200 litres next year will you be allowed 30 litres or will you be stuck at 15 litres in scheme?

In glanbia it's not % but you put in for a certain amount of litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Just wondering here why are Dairygold saying a % of milk. Say if you supply 100 litres this year, 15% would be 15 litres. But if you supply 200 litres next year will you be allowed 30 litres or will you be stuck at 15 litres in scheme?

In glanbia it's not % but you put in for a certain amount of litres.

It's based on 2015 calender year supply. 5 10 or 15% of it. So if you supply less this year it could end up being more than 15% of current year supply or if you supply more it ends up being less than 15% of the current year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What is the price for organic milk here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What is the price for organic milk here?
    Is there much of a market for it here?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is there much of a market for it here?

More importantly, Whelan, is there much of a market for it abroad?

• Advertisement

+1.
    Yes my old soils are worthless!!

The 'organic' thing doesn't sit comfortably on me. A lifetime of pushing the boundaries...I can well remember well the first time I broke the 5ton of wheat per acre barrier.

At present prices the home herd would be €235k p.a better off. Not nickels and dimes.

Tbh I see this organic thing as a 'gimmick', but if that's what the market wants, then give it to them, in spades.

To me, Ireland is in a brilliant position to take advantage of the booming european organic market with the 'green isle' perception by the continentals, but the reliance on high artificial fert usage kills it dead for the ordinary dairy farmer. The industry is not willing (or open) to change tack. All bets are on the 'cheapest producer of bulk products' chips.

I'm divided in my thinking...I'm off now for a large bowl of generic coffee from a trendy chain of 'shopping/lifestyle' experience Americana tripe that passes as excellence.

Just of curiosity, where does this fit in your strategy

The issue with organics that I see is branding. From the beef side we see the AA and HE schemes which seem to be a huge success....., for the processors. For farmers the margin is no better. Yes there is more money in the chain but only a fraction trickle's to the farmers.

The AA and HE meat at supermarket sell at a 20-30% premium to other beef. But the farmers receives about 10c/kg for HE and 15c/kg for AA (and in the case off AA there is 5euro/head deduction). This equates to 2.5%- 3% premium over other cattle.

To add insult to injury theses cattle are ideally spec's for UK market. Carcass weight 280-350 and O+ to R+ in configuration. Yet we only get 10% of final premium ????. I see organic's the same way. Every one wins except the farmer.

How much will your output decrease by ??. It may be more than you think. There is no place for HO type cows in such a scheme. The hybrid cow more than likely, and once a day milking in Ireland may be an option. You will really need clover and in organics and some tillage as well. Yes inputs will be lower.

However it may be where you have tillage/dairy farms where the real reward is. Who is to say if your wheat o/p decrease's from 5 to 4 tone/acre where that ton is gone.

Slava Ukrainii

Just of curiosity, where does this fit in your strategy

Lol.
    Strategy?
    Ducking and diving?

It seems to be the only growth area in agriculture now, with good returns for farmers and processors. That should be worth a look at.

Lol.
    Strategy?
    Ducking and diving?

It seems to be the only growth area in agriculture now, with good returns for farmers and processors. That should be worth a look at.

I think the main problem is if too many people get into something then it can quickly get over supplied. We have only one main purchaser of organic milk in this country. The one thing that would guarantee that the arse would fall out of it, is if teagasc were to recommend that everyone should go organic.

I honestly think that half the problems we are facing at the moment are caused by the spreading of the gospel that there was easy money to be made out of milk and everyone needed to expand quickly. Now we have an over supply. It's all very well to blame other countries, but the production of skim in this country has increased by 146%. In spite of us producing some of the best milk in the world. Most of our extra production has gone into skim. A product that is regarded as the poorest grade of commodity, where intervention seems to be its biggest market. This is only kicking the problem down the road. Where was the planning?

We had this before in the early eighties. People were encouraged and even paid to milk more cows and in no they were hit with quotas.

How much will your output decrease by ??. It may be more than you think. There is no place for HO type cows in such a scheme. The hybrid cow more than likely, and once a day milking in Ireland may be an option. You will really need clover and in organics and some tillage as well. Yes inputs will be lower.

However it may be where you have tillage/dairy farms where the real reward is. Who is to say if your wheat o/p decrease's from 5 to 4 tone/acre where that ton is gone.

The output would probably increase because it would make more sense to move from grazing grass to growing clovers/legumes. Cows would be housed 24/7...
    Maize would be the same yields as no artificial nitrogen is used.
    Clovers and legumes don't need fertilizer.
    With those forages I'd expect yields to be comfortably over 11k liters.

I'm going to visit an organic dairy farm in the afternoon where they produce 1.5mill liters. Fact finding mission...

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    I think the main problem is if too many people get into something then it can quickly get over supplied. We have only one main purchaser of organic milk in this country. The one thing that would guarantee that the arse would fall out of it, is if teagasc were to recommend that everyone should go organic.

I honestly think that half the problems we are facing at the moment are caused by the spreading of the gospel that there was easy money to be made out of milk and everyone needed to expand quickly. Now we have an over supply. It's all very well to blame other countries, but the production of skim in this country has increased by 146%. In spite of us producing some of the best milk in the world. Most of our extra production has gone into skim. A product that is regarded as the poorest grade of commodity, where intervention seems to be its biggest market. This is only kicking the problem down the road. Where was the planning?

We had this before in the early eighties. People were encouraged and even paid to milk more cows and in no they were hit with quotas.

Jeez Ed, the glass is always half full with you!:)

Maybe if Ireland produced organic milk for the 500mill people on its doorstep, the glass might actually be half full.
    Organic is no longer a niche market with 8% growth in demand YoY.

Just saying like...:)

But havent the new zealanders done very well out that strategy, its basically backboning their economy and like ireland they dont have a big domestic market so it has to be exported.if it has to be exported it has to be sold at world market prices.so next you say lets look at high value products, yeah end price will be higher but r n d, marketing and technology soak up a huge part of the margin.the alternative back to quotas and a dying industry.for all the talk about carbery the higher prices is not coming from processing milk its coming from shrewd investments and some dumb luck.

Dawggone wrote:
    The output would probably increase because it would make more sense to move from grazing grass to growing clovers/legumes. Cows would be housed 24/7.

Can you do that with organic in France?

kowtow wrote: »
    Can you do that with organic in France?

Yep.
    Funny how the 'organic' label always shows cows in grass heaven.

It's a joke really.

Jeez Ed, the glass is always half full with you!:)

Maybe if Ireland produced organic milk for the 500mill people on its doorstep, the glass might actually be half full.
    Organic is no longer a niche market with 8% growth in demand YoY.

Just saying like...:)

I actually think there may be a future in organics. I don't know why is it when faced with reality people are so quick to write it off as someone being negative? We should be doing more research in that area but we first need to address things like appointing people from the chemical industry to the board of Teagasc

I actually agree, For farmers to have a decent future, yes 100% we need to be looking at things like organics. The problem I have is if the idea is oversold the market could get flooded. Farmers need to be presented with the facts and not some hype as has happened in the case of the current dairy situation.

Who was it that said he believed the smartest animal in the farm yard Was the hen? Simply because she doesn't do any clucking until first she lays the egg.

• Advertisement

But havent the new zealanders done very well out that strategy, its basically backboning their economy and like ireland they dont have a big domestic market so it has to be exported.if it has to be exported it has to be sold at world market prices.so next you say lets look at high value products, yeah end price will be higher but r n d, marketing and technology soak up a huge part of the margin.the alternative back to quotas and a dying industry.for all the talk about carbery the higher prices is not coming from processing milk its coming from shrewd investments and some dumb luck.

For various reasons we are not NZ and maybe that's not a bad thing.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/tears-ahead-for-chinadriven-milk-boom-in-new-zealand-20150103-12hiwq.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Farmer Ed wrote: »

The tone of that article would make you very suspicious of the content.

The tone of that article would make you very suspicious of the content.

Maybe but I am increasingly reminded of Bertie's response to people who questioned the wisdom of everyone rushing into property.

My view is absolutely we should always be looking to improve our standard of living. But realistically when you can visibly see something is a band wagon. It is usually too late to be getting on.

Yep.
    Funny how the 'organic' label always shows cows in grass heaven.

It's a joke really.

Did you ever cost out an intensive grass based system out of curiosity, you could probably grow grass all year down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Dawggone - What is your story? You're in France, right? I only ever picked up bits and pieces from your posts. Did you move over there from Ireland? How long are you there? Care to open a new thread and tell us all about it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Did you ever cost out an intensive grass based system out of curiosity, you could probably grow grass all year down there

I use as much grass as possible.
    This year I'm measuring grass grown/utilized. Also I've planted a cocksfoot/plantain/clover mix and that will be irrigated and measured.

Maize easily produces 22tonDM/ha...

Drought is pretty much guaranteed in June/July/August. Cows have been housed since Jan1.

Dawggone - What is your story? You're in France, right? I only ever picked up bits and pieces from your posts. Did you move over there from Ireland? How long are you there? Care to open a new thread and tell us all about it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

No Patsy, I couldn't be bothered. It won't add one jot to farming info on this forum...

I do post updates about what goes on here from time to time.

I see someone fixed the interweb....who broke it?

I use as much grass as possible.
    This year I'm measuring grass grown/utilized. Also I've planted a cocksfoot/plantain/clover mix and that will be irrigated and measured.

Maize easily produces 22tonDM/ha...

Drought is pretty much guaranteed in June/July/August. Cows have been housed since Jan1.
    If you could include a warm season grass you could add another 5-10t over the summer as long as its irrigated

If you could include a warm season grass you could add another 5-10t over the summer as long as its irrigated

Versus maize, grass is very inefficient in its use of water. Grass also needs a lot more water than maize.

• Advertisement

Dawg is the latest in the blood line that traces its roots back to an ilegitimite son of king louis the whatever that was beheaded in the revolution who fled france afterwards to ireland where from generation to generation the desire to take back what was rightfully theres.finally dawg has gone back and started to take it over a little bit at the time using the power of cows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement