Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

jaymla627 wrote: »
    That's only the start of it by the look of things, this video below is pretty eye-opening http://www.ontheland.co.nz/video/kerry-adams-daa-chartered-accountants-12 could be fire sales of dairy farms by the looks of it
    Cruel stuff, tough for a struggling farmer there atm. Hope we don't follow suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Cruel stuff, tough for a struggling farmer there atm. Hope we don't follow suit

Could get very messy quiet quickly with Australian banks controlling the majority of the debt and with their own economy tanking at the minute due to low commodity prices for iron ore etc, they might see repossing these farms and hawking them of to cashed up Chinese investors as a great way to balance the books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, similar to how the Japanese bought so much real estate in the US in the early nineties.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Ya, similar to how the Japanese bought so much real estate in the US in the early nineties.

And that really worked out well for everyone long term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

There's a processor here that has 'found' savings of over €40mill through some wage cuts and 'efficiencies'...

Being dragged over the coals does seem to sharpen the pencil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see Danone's profits are also up. Your right Dawgone, cut the price to the farmer first. We all know who is literally on the 'hind tit'.

Water John wrote: »
    I see Danone's profits are also up. Your right Dawgone, cut the price to the farmer first. We all know who is literally on the 'hind tit'.

Tbf that Coop are guaranteeing a base price of 34cpl for 2016. The government brought in the processors this week and the Mins of Ag.and Fin. had a look at the books..

Wouldn't it be great to get Noonan and Coveney to look at the books of our processors? Answer; move along nothing to see here!

Some things never change...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Dawggone wrote: »
    Tbf that Coop are guaranteeing a base price of 34cpl for 2016. The government brought in the processors this week and the Mins of Ag.and Fin. had a look at the books..

Big contrast to the approach taken by Irish politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

fixed supply contract arrived today from gii we got fixed price scheme contract on 3.65% of last years supply, thats my hedge sorted for the year back to calving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Water John wrote:
    Wouldn't it be great to get Noonan and Coveney to look at the books of our processors?

Only if you want the milk cheque replaced by a promissory note!

Kowtow, my tongue was firmly in my cheek, if you hadn't noticed.
    I suppose if Noonan was offered the option, he would run away like he did on another issue.
    If you look at the books, a responsibility goes with that.

Water John wrote:
    Kowtow, my tongue was firmly in my cheek, if you hadn't noticed. I suppose if Noonan was offered the option, he would run away like he did on another issue. If you look at the books, a responsibility goes with that.

I did notice :)

I used to think that Irish elections weren't worth bothering about - just more if the same sh@@t with a different lot of flies.

But as I was finishing milking tonight a brave bunch of canvassers turned up so shocked at the state of the lane way that they promised to fix the potholes personally.

I'm seeing things in a different light. Complaining about irish politicians is like complaining about valet parking.

Some things never change...

All milk down the drain this morning because the tankers couldn't collect yesterday due to the blockade...chances are this evenings milk will go down the drain also...

Ye can't say that I'm not doing my bit for you guys!!

• Advertisement

kowtow wrote: »
    Complaining about irish politicians is like complaining about valet parking.

Trouble with those valets is they drive off with the mercs next week...and you pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

All milk down the drain this morning because the tankers couldn't collect yesterday due to the blockade...chances are this evenings milk will go down the drain also...

Ye can't say that I'm not doing my bit for you guys!!

They've blocked the milk processors?
    How long before they cave?
    Can you be compensated by the farmers union?

They've blocked the milk processors?
    How long before they cave?
    Can you be compensated by the farmers union?

Yep, the mayhem is now spreading all over the country. Dairy only.

They are beginning to cave in...but any offers that are being bandied about only concern price rise on your *original* quota...

Hadn't thought of compensation tbh! I'll wait and see if they collect today. I've a good chance of collection as I've a good sized tank. Losing a days milk is a nice few quid to me when cows are belting it out.

Only if you want the milk cheque replaced by a promissory note!
    Actually farmers are already being issued with loan notes instead of money for shares, when they leave Dairygold. The rules state they can do this if refunding people the value of their shares would jeopardise the financial stability of the co op.

Could things really be that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Yep, the mayhem is now spreading all over the country. Dairy only.

They are beginning to cave in...but any offers that are being bandied about only concern price rise on your *original* quota...

Hadn't thought of compensation tbh! I'll wait and see if they collect today. I've a good chance of collection as I've a good sized tank. Losing a days milk is a nice few quid to me when cows are belting it out.

Whats the story .hows it going to pan do you reckon, is it just processor's are getting hammered or is political as well and could it have effects on eu

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    Whats the story .hows it going to pan do you reckon, is it just processor's are getting hammered or is political as well and could it have effects on eu

I don't know.
    I've been out with man 'flu this week and haven't been watching events.
    They are blockading again today so I'm going to lose a days milk, at least...

One thing for sure (?) is any over 'quota' milk won't see any support. There may be support for reducing production, but it is hard to see Brussels jumping for that...then again, remember set-aside?

Yes both processors and politicians (in France) are completely behind dairy farmers now. Funny how they ignore tillage even though it's a much bigger industry here, and prices have been worse and for much longer.

Edit. Just went to milk intake blockade and the protestors seem to be well entrenched so it looks like I won't be getting milk collected for a day or two...doesn't really matter as there was a mixup this morning and antibiotic milk made its way into the tank...all had to go down the drain..:(. Think I may be insured...:)

There is a rumour going around the blockade that there's 30 artics of 'Irish' milk coming into France every day...I didn't disagree..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭alps

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Actually farmers are already being issued with loan notes instead of money for shares, when they leave Dairygold. The rules state they can do this if refunding people the value of their shares would jeopardise the financial stability of the co op.

Could things really be that bad?

How then does the farmer pay Capital Gains Tax due on these shares being cashed in? Presumably the majority of these share were issued as bonus shares. Can the farmer cash in the loan note?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

alps wrote: »
    How then does the farmer pay Capital Gains Tax due on these shares being cashed in? Presumably the majority of these share were issued as bonus shares. Can the farmer cash in the loan note?

I'll buy the note from you. 33% face value.:D

Are you sure it's worth 33%? ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Arrabawn suppliers who left got cash for their shares I was told by one of them. More cash in Arrabawn than DG ?

Farmer Ed wrote:

Is there a coupon on the notes - ie. Do they pay interest?

Is there a coupon on the notes - ie. Do they pay interest?

I'm not sure to be honest as I haven't got my one yet. Ill have to ask some of the people who went to Botherbue 2 years ago and will let you know. But if it ends up like Reox we might never get anything.

I might take you up on your offer if that's possible. But I wouldn't want to be seen to take advantage of you. I'm going to at least request it be issued on soft paper as at least then in may have some functional use.

red bull wrote: »
    Arrabawn suppliers who left got cash for their shares I was told by one of them. More cash in Arrabawn than DG ?

If that is the yardstick used to measure these things, then yes it would appear so.

The rules state that the board have the right to issue loan notes if refunding expelled shareholders the value of their shares would "Jeopardise the financial stability of the Co Op".

You would have to say it isn't a huge vote of confidence by the board in the financial stability of the Co Op, if they have to invoke this rule. You are correct Arrabawn don't seem to have such a problem.

You can only cash in the loan note at the discretion of the board.

I was thinking of taking a bottle of whisky with me whenever I go and meet them. Otherwise I think I could be waiting a while.

Actually I know someone who had money taken from their milk account early last year before they left DG. They wrote to them to request that this money would not be transferred into shares. DG ignored the letter and issued the new shares in January of this year, then they sent out a notice in february saying they were planning to expel that person and issue them with a loan note instead. Hard to believe but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I might take you up on your offer if that's possible. But I wouldn't want to be seen to take advantage of you. I'm going to at least request it be issued on soft paper as at least then in may have some functional use.

Your going to put it behind you.

You can only cash in the loan note at the discretion of the board.

Like a Perpetual War Bond, except they had a coupon.

And were transferable.

Like a Perpetual War Bond, except they had a coupon.

And were transferable.

Again that is something I need to check out. Honestly the whole idea smells a bit of vindictiveness.

Your going to put it behind you.

Only if Dairygold make it comfortable enough. Otherwise I am not planning on putting it behind me.:)

From FJ "Talbot confirmed Glanbia Ingredients Ireland had increased overall profits in 2015 driven by increased supply from farmers during 2015"

The King has no clothes.....

From FJ "Talbot confirmed Glanbia Ingredients Ireland had increased overall profits in 2015 driven by increased supply from farmers during 2015"

The King has no clothes.....

And still no sign of belview getting accreditation to produce baby powder spec formula, recall at the meetings last year it was only a matter of crossing the i's and dotting the t's, scary thing is more smp has went into intervention this year to date then all of 2015 with a third of the quota filled already.....
    I hope irish processors have a market for all this wmp/smp they're going to be churning out and aren't just planning on putting it into intervention cause by the look of things that avenue could be gone come may/June at best

I wanted to sell some wheat out of store today to cover against some fert and sprays...€112/ton.

On a rough calc that would equate to about 14cpl for milk.

Make hay with the brilliant milk price, while ye can!

I wanted to sell some wheat out of store today to cover against some fert and sprays...€112/ton.

On a rough calc that would equate to about 14cpl for milk.

Make hay with the brilliant milk price, while ye can!

Pretty amazing with wheat/barley/maize so cheap that I had a feed rep try to sell me multiple mixes yesterday with pke/cotton seed/maize gluten/soya hulls/and distillers as the main ingredients, apparently it was a cost saving measure for dairy farmers using all the by-products still wanted 220- 240 a ton for nuts for various 15/16 % mixes of above was politely told to f**k off and come back with something that contained none of the above save soya hulls still hasn't called back yet

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Pretty amazing with wheat/barley/maize so cheap that I had a feed rep try to sell me multiple mixes yesterday with pke/cotton seed/maize gluten/soya hulls/and distillers as the main ingredients, apparently it was a cost saving measure for dairy farmers using all the by-products still wanted 220- 240 a ton for nuts for various 15/16 % mixes of above was politely told to f**k off and come back with something that contained none of the above save soya hulls still hasn't called back yet

That's why they're called "nuts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

That's why they're called "nuts"

They got some PhD somewhere to write an article in the findo on Tuesday stating that any oul ****e would perform just as well as wheat, barley, soya and the few other good quality ingredients. Hence your boy pushing crap on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

The milling industry in ireland seems to be a perfect example of a price fixing cartel. Has any farming organisation made a complaint to the competition authority about this?

tanko wrote: »
    The milling industry in ireland seems to be a perfect example of a price fixing cartel. Has any farming organisation made a complaint to the competition authority about this?

Yes several examples of Co Ops buying out competitors with the sole intention of just closing down the business and doing away with the competition.

Hardy in the Co Op spirit I would have thought.

tanko wrote: »

I can source fert here for substantially less than what it's making in Ireland. I was talking to a merchant friend of mine and hinted that it could be organised...couldn't be bothered he said...I still make my margin, the farmers would be the winners there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Text from Glanbia
    New fixed price scheme

27c inc vat this time,locked in for two years and nine months...

Text from Glanbia
    New fixed price scheme

Is there any limitation on the amount you can fix?
    Is it possible to sit down with them and fix, say, feed and fert for the same time period?

At that money it might be a hard sell.

• Advertisement

Text from Glanbia
    New fixed price scheme

This is a game changer. ...The fixed schemes of the past looked sensible from the farmers point of view...

This one is going to be very hard to assess. Poor price for a long period of time.....

It reminds me of battles of the past when lines of infantry were sent to their deaths just to determine the range of the enemy fire.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Sorry its 29c not 27c
    I blame the bit of cow sheet on my phone screen
    Better but not by much

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/fixed-milk-price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Sorry its 29c not 27c
    I blame the bit of cow sheet on my phone screen
    Better but not by much

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/fixed-milk-price

The kicker there is line 2
    ". The milk volume allocated to each Scheme participant will automatically double after 15 months"

That's where you'll pay for your fixed price scheme

The kicker there is line 2
    ". The milk volume allocated to each Scheme participant will automatically double after 15 months"

That's where you'll pay for your fixed price scheme

Hmmm
    So you fix Xamount from April1 and after 15mts this then becomes 2x, at the same price?
    That's a new one.

Aintree Grand National...bet on a nag, after the first circuit your bet doubles for the same payout...nice.

I can source fert here for substantially less than what it's making in Ireland. I was talking to a merchant friend of mine and hinted that it could be organised...couldn't be bothered he said...I still make my margin, the farmers would be the winners there.

Could it be that the people in charge of your co ops have no family ties with the French fertiliser industry? I'm guessing this must help bring about a bit of real competition in the French industry. That and judging by what you have been telling us about France. You farmers wouldn't put up with the same crap as farmers here would put up with.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement