Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Bergin and Talbot would't care,they'd just tell the workers to take a few days off and still collect their salaries whilst ours the following month would fall as milk isnt collected
    Farmers cannot afford that especially now
    But will they be driven to it(yes) out of despair
    What will Glanbia do with the negative publicity?

Would the people in GiiL taking no cuts survive the negative publicity of a farm family struggling to feed and clothe the kids,versus wealthy executives and board members?

I'd agree the loan scheme is just finance to sustain the unsustainable
    Shur put up a shed lads for show and use the rest for the next few years to pay your glanbia store bill which is handily owned by the plc
    Win win for Siobhan
    Debt Debt for the farmer

I think Belview is more complex than that. It can't be run dry and there's more to firing it up or shutting it down, than flicking a switch.
    Re Milkflex, I've a feeling you'll see a lot of trading accounts fixed up using Milkflex. Use it to move some troublesome debt off their books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

How are all you Dairy guys coping with all this pressure? Low milk prices, bad weather...it must be taking it's toll at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How are all you Dairy guys coping with all this pressure? Low milk prices, bad weather...it must be taking it's toll at this stage.

Nope all's grand here. Loads of silage. Grass is growing. OK ground is wet but we can't do anything about that. Used to it now from 2012 and 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    Nope all's grand here. Loads of silage. Grass is growing. OK ground is wet but we can't do anything about that. Used to it now from 2012 and 2013

As Whelan said hard lessons well learned.

Oh was complaining last year of all the silage bales and pit silage I was making. Fairly glad I did now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

It's time to get some kind of media/text campaign going to boycott glanbia for all feeds and fertilisers and we will see what they make of the few ton then, the dirty shower of cuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Oh was complaining last year of all the silage bales and pit silage I was making. Fairly glad I did now

About 65 acres of 74 Dmd plus put silage and 36 bales left here .if I'm still looking at same in June minus whatever I'll cut this year I won't be too bothered .i know of guy locally with 150 cows ,no grass ,no silage and currently buying all feed he can get daily .i know we've had an unnaturally vD Spring and winter but they are now becoming more common and it is something we all need to take note of as we increase nos and demands on grassland .silage may now be needed in April may June every bit as much as winter

It's time to get some kind of media/text campaign going to boycott glanbia for all feeds and fertilisers and we will see what they make of the few ton then, the dirty shower of cuts.
    Did many opt in to buying meal from them in the fixed price scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

What I find annoying is the extra cost of feed, slightly lower yield and extra work load. Cows are happy that's the main thing though.also have to decide if I have to set maize instead of Whole crop due to the weather and it might run a little late for setting wheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Lads on here about the people on the board.we put them there and only the very stupid believe they have any powers whatsoever.my own local co-op here in mid Tipp who supply glanbia might as well not have a board due to the fact that the ceo at the monthly meetings comes in and says this is the price and that's that.the committee is only a legal requirement to rubber stamp things in my opinion.same names are on the committee for generations cause they like the idea of the so call prestige it brings.if u bring up any problems to any of them u will get the well rehearsed party lines ad nauseam.a good few yrs ago one guy ran for the committee telling everyone he would take no ****.at his first meeting he was taken to one side and told to stay quiet for a couple of yrs

• Advertisement

blackdog1 wrote: »
    What I find annoying is the extra cost of feed, slightly lower yield and extra work load. Cows are happy that's the main thing though.also have to decide if I have to set maize instead of Whole crop due to the weather and it might run a little late for setting wheat.

Forget wheat at this stage. Spring barley is your best bet now. Much cheaper than wheat to grow. Hold off for another ten days. A spray and a half will keep it covered. You won't need to hit it until mid May with first and you'll be harvesting Aug bank holiday. You can be generous with the fert. Cheapest alternative forage we ever grew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

They've all got to stand for election. Brendan hayes wouldn't dare show his face if didn't oppose this. He got elected on partially on the basis that there would be no kowtowing. He got re-elected despite the boards best efforts to remove him. Other areas would do well to pick people like him. There's more than one board member in it purely for the fee. Farm signed over and a grand handy number fcuking up your year. No interest in opposing anything Siobhan and Jim put in front of them. Ye know who these jokers are.

Go to the information meetings and let them know what you expect and what the consequences are. Brendan hayes actually beat one of the most able men I've ever met to be elected as a board member in the co-op. An able, honest and dilligent man but he wasn't delivering in the members opinion and he got the door.

Corbally is the glanbia plc boards dream appointment as chair of the co-op and plc. Wind him up and point him.in whatever direction they want. Blood on the dancefloor is what's needed, literally. Most of the meetings will be in some hotel ballroom and your board members need to be frightened.

Siobhan wants her thirty million, on paper this year and next and 12 million in cash from 2018. There are some unspecified consequences if she doesn't get it but imo she needs to be called out on it. Wtf is she going to do if she doesn't get it? Throwing the toys out of the pram is as far as she can go.

Time is well past for some serious hacking at the cost structure within GII. Milk price back at '09 levels wages and headcount back to the same level for starters. We'll talk more on milk price after that's done. Probably benchmark senior managers pay to milk price for starters. Their current salaries benchmarked to an average payout of around 42c. They'd be heading for a fifty percent paycut next month at that rate. Concentrate some minds.
    Local Glanbia man here when a farmer said they were not going to buy anything more off glanbia said, if you think your few tonne will make any difference to a business like glanbia you havent a clue, arrogance at its best, On Bergin, since when is he running the whole show? If we thought Herlihy and Moloney were bad it looks like the Talbot/ Corbally combination is well worse. As per usual we just sit back and moan about it on our keyboards :cool:
    I've said it before and now I'll say it again.

Farmers have only themselves to blame for the current situation. I'd say at most, 10% of the posters here have ever gone to a supplier meeting and that is replicated throughout the industry as a whole.

Whinging and moaning on a website will get SFA done to improve your situation.

You will actually have to get up off your collective ar$es and get out and attend meetings and question the processors and lay into them hard and heavy and often.

And even then you will only have a small chance of doing something but it will be improved if your reps at the meetings are getting lambasted for tolerating the current situation.

But you still won't go, will you:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Whelan iv dropped by 50% what I used get off glanbia and if they drop it another cent I'm finished with them 100% for feed and fert

I went to the meeting in Navan before christmas and I had my say, will go to the next one as well.

Whelan iv dropped by 50% what I used get off glanbia and if they drop it another cent I'm finished with them 100% for feed and fert
    Great I hope everyone else will follow suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FYI this has already happened in Dairygold country.
    One third of their turnover is in this sector, inputs. Fellas, decided they couldn't nail them on price so they moved that end of the business. Its hurting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Water John wrote: »
    FYI this has already happened in Dairygold country.
    One third of their turnover is in this sector, inputs. Fellas, decided they couldn't nail them on price so they moved that end of the business. Its hurting.

Dairygold acted the maggot with fertlizer prices this year. They only passed on minimal prices decreases. They taught that there credit plan (3-4 payments from June to September costing 2 euro/ton) would hold there customers. I do not buy a lot of fertlizer about 12 ton but I beat there price by nearly 200 euro payment from April-June.

On feed this year all millers are holding a larger margin partly due to slower payment. However those of us that pay fairly on time are being screwed by about 15-20 euro/ton. But all millers are more or less holding the line.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

I think Belview is more complex than that. It can't be run dry and there's more to firing it up or shutting it down, than flicking a switch. Re Milkflex, I've a feeling you'll see a lot of trading accounts fixed up using Milkflex. Use it to move some troublesome debt off their books

Dear Bank

We're not allowed to use our customers milk cheques to pay off their trading accounts without permission.

But you can. If you'd be kind enough to sell them a loan on condition they clear the account, well send over the rights to their future cash flows.

Perhaps you could even pay us a commission on the loan?

We could call it "milkflex"

Love

Glanbia.

kowtow wrote: »
    Dear Bank

We're not allowed to use our customers milk cheques to pay off their trading accounts without permission.

But you can. If you'd be kind enough to sell them a loan on condition they clear the account, well send over the rights to their future cash flows.

Love

Glanbia.

:):):)

Dear Bank

Love

Glanbia.

Kt could you reprint that analogy you had between a general operative shareholder in Amazon and one of us poor fools with shares in glanbia plc if you wouldn't mind. The info meeting is tomorrow night and once I get my hands on a Mic I want some good ammo.

• Advertisement

Kt could you reprint that analogy you had between a general operative shareholder in Amazon and one of us poor fools with shares in glanbia plc if you wouldn't mind. The info meeting is tomorrow night and once I get my hands on a Mic I want some good ammo.

Was it the one below, or something else I was ranting about?
    As far as the plc is concerned, no matter how many farmer shareholders there are, they must be "ignored" as a matter of law. When a plc board member considers their interest he / she must do so as shareholders whether they are farmers, butchers, bakers, or candlestick makers. It is always in the interest of a plc shareholder (even a farming shareholder, in so far as he is a shareholder and not a farmer) that the plc pays the lowest milk price possible. It doesn't matter whether the farmers form a majority - if they did, and if the plc paid to much for milk, even a shareholder with a single share would be able to reverse the actions of the board on the basis that they were subject to oppression.

It's possible for the plc board to make an argument that not bankrupting it's farmers is in the longer term interest of all shareholders - but that is as far as it goes.

Where GIIL is concerned I suspect the farmer side & the plc side are free to fight it out for there own interest - although the terms of the option on the buyout may tie some hands there.

Where the (Glanbia) co-op itself is concerned the same regime applies as with any other co-operative in the country. The "margin" between the milk price the co-op side receives and what it pays out will in due course become shareholders funds. I'm not sure that we actually know how much that is or what agreement governs it, but I suspect that the margin is not great since there is an additional and specific shareholder support fund in play.

Was it the one below, or something else I was ranting about?

It was a good rant. There was something about the indentured nature of the relationship between GII and the farmers and another point comparing the relative power we have as individual shareholders to a warehouse worker in Amazon who happened to have gotten a few shares in some sort of a bonus scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt up today 2.1%.amount on offer was around the 25000 ton mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

looking forward to dungarvan tomorrow night can beat being spoken down to for a few hours to get the blood circulating, they stopped holding meetings in east Waterford all together were not a quite bunch down here:)

they segregated us into small areas for spin out funny how things change when its bad news

no meal provided for us either like other venues, they know theyd only get it on their faces if they gave it to us

banks are after changing tune got a call today loan being offered at 3.77 versus the 3.75 wit milk flex loan

any word from any of the information meetings held?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

looking forward to dungarvan tomorrow night can beat being spoken down to for a few hours to get the blood circulating, they stopped holding meetings in east Waterford all together were not a quite bunch down here:)

they segregated us into small areas for spin out funny how things change when its bad news

no meal provided for us either like other venues, they know theyd only get it on their faces if they gave it to us

banks are after changing tune got a call today loan being offered at 3.77 versus the 3.75 wit milk flex loan

any word from any of the information meetings held?

Was at a farm walk today hosted by a glanbia monitor farmer, glanbia rep gave a talk, standout points scheme will be over - subscribed and they're won't be any loans processed/loans paid out till after August at the earliest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Jesuz reading this thread would drive up the blood pressure and I haven't milked a cow for 10 yrs. How long can lads stay milking at 20c/L? Why are our co-ops/plcs so ****e at marketing? If this keeps up in 5 years time there won't be too many dairy farmers left by (harvest) 2020.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Local Glanbia man here when a farmer said they were not going to buy anything more off glanbia said, if you think your few tonne will make any difference to a business like glanbia you havent a clue, arrogance at its best, :cool:

DOC Feeds (Arrabawn owned) had a pr1ck with that attitude, ....lost most of their top customers to Roches & Southern Milling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

blue5000 wrote: »
    Jesuz reading this thread would drive up the blood pressure and I haven't milked a cow for 10 yrs. How long can lads stay milking at 20c/L? Why are our co-ops/plcs so ****e at marketing? If this keeps up in 5 years time there won't be too many dairy farmers left by (harvest) 2020.

They'll be there alright

Morning lads had nice evening in dungarvan last night. Still having a giggle over some of the anology provided. Was a decent meeting to b fair a lot of god comments from floor and mgt. Have to say the tone had changed from other meetings I attended and long may it continue, gii should hold individual meetings without Plc to improve supplier relations. We're being closely watched on here and supplier activism is annoying the board, what's coming is coming regardless and with outa leading price suppliers are going to continue stressed and annoyed. Not a direct Plc shareholder but was nice to hear how well they are doing. To all foreign buyers following were expecting jump to 50c base in q4 so get in fast the stock at this knock down price wouldn't last forever😀😀ðŸ„

• Advertisement

Morning lads had nice evening in dungarvan last night. Still having a giggle over some of the anology provided. Was a decent meeting to b fair a lot of god comments from floor and mgt. Have to say the tone had changed from other meetings I attended and long may it continue, gii should hold individual meetings without Plc to improve supplier relations. We're being closely watched on here and supplier activism is annoying the board, what's coming is coming regardless and with outa leading price suppliers are going to continue stressed and annoyed. Not a direct Plc shareholder but was nice to hear how well they are doing. To all foreign buyers following were expecting jump to 50c base in q4 so get in fast the stock at this knock down price wouldn't last forever😀😀ðŸ„

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

What's the boards stance at the minute in so far as we the suppliers know that the plc is creaming it through getting cheap product of G11 and it's only going to get cheaper by the looks of things....
    Its one thing them saying that's what the market is returning and the plc reflecting this with poor profits/share price but it's the polar opposite, their literally pissing into farmers cornflakes and telling them it's milk
    Any questions asked of how much product their going to dump into intervention this year in the form of wmp/smp, and what's the story with belview and accredition to make powder for baby formula our has this market evaporated and belview is now just a very expensive wmp plant with no added value

Any talk on milk price over the next couple of months. Lots of rumors going around about March and April's prices.
    Any talk about what may be coming down the line from Brussels, again more rumours

Any talk on milk price over the next couple of months. Lots of rumors going around about March and April's prices.
    Any talk about what may be coming down the line from Brussels, again more rumours

Bergin nearly lost his sh1t completely when he was asked directly what his intentions on Mar & Apr milk price were. Apparently the milk price thread on boards is making life very difficult for some glanbia sales rep in Nigeria. Paraphrased a small bit but that's the gist of what he said while losing it. Anyone going to the meetings today or tomorrow needs to question the stated loan debt. They're trying to dress some working capital finance to cover product in stock as debt that has to be serviced from operating margins.

Speaking to Mrs freedom about it last night they're spoofing to the last on this. Net balance sheet position won't be changed by this as this €150m is covered by the stock it's financing and should be paid down as the stock is disposed of. Net of this debt is around €80 million on €8-900m turnover and net profit of €30m. Kt might comment if he's around. One caveat these aren't audited figures Afaik. That's another glaring ommision. GII is up and running well over two years we need to see six monthly accounts within a month of the period end similar to plc. It's our business and we need to know how it's being operated. Running up €150m debt in working capital without our knowledge is a bit rich.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Bergin nearly lost his sh1t completely when he was asked directly what his intentions on Mar & Apr milk price were. Apparently the milk price thread on boards is making life very difficult for some glanbia sales rep in Nigeria. Paraphrased a small bit but that's the gist of what he said while losing it. Anyone going to the meetings today or tomorrow needs to question the stated loan debt. They're trying to dress some working capital finance to cover product in stock as debt that has to be serviced from operating margins.

Speaking to Mrs freedom about it last night they're spoofing to the last on this. Net balance sheet position won't be changed by this as this €150m is covered by the stock it's financing and should be paid down as the stock is disposed of. Net of this debt is around €80 million on €8-900m turnover and net profit of €30m. Kt might comment if he's around. One caveat these aren't audited figures Afaik. That's another glaring ommision. GII is up and running well over two years we need to see six monthly accounts within a month of the period end similar to plc. It's our business and we need to know how it's being operated. Running up €150m debt in working capital without our knowledge is a bit rich.

If the sales rep in Nigeria is having a hard time now, God help him when he finds out they are in a very serious relationship with another Co Op. One would question is it true love or is one partner in the relationship thinking of marrying for the money.

Amazing what people might have to do out of desperation.

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    If the sales rep in Nigeria is having a hard time now, God help him when he finds out they are in a very serious relationship with another Co Op. One would question is it true love or is one partner in the relationship thinking of marrying for the money.

Amazing what people might have to do out of desperation.

The sales rep in Nigeria needs to be out selling, not reading boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

My crowd are holding at 28.75cpl + vat for April. That includes 1cpl deduction to be pooled and repaid in summer.

Dawggone wrote: »
    My crowd are holding at 28.75cpl + vat for April. That includes 1cpl deduction to be pooled and repaid in summer.
    Great to know in advance what you will be getting

Great to know in advance what you will be getting

We used to get 3 mts ahead but now with Brussels getting involved things are uncertain.

Dawggone wrote: »
    What's the reason for the deduction and repayment later, Dawg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Dairygold fella I don't know rang me out of the blue to see if I am ok for Feed and Fertiliser!

• Advertisement

cjpm wrote: »
    Dairygold fella I don't know rang me out of the blue to see if I am ok for Feed and Fertiliser!

They're after changing their reps to different areas a pure disaster. Guy you did business for 20 yrs suddenly moved to Tipperary. Another example of Dairygold not having a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dairygold went out selling Fert all over the place last spring to get turnover figures up.
    Probably doing the same now but a bit late. Panic stations.

Dairygold went out selling Fert all over the place last spring to get turnover figures up.

Think that's called business John. Not gonna complain about that

What's the reason for the deduction and repayment later, Dawg?

French farmers try and produce the minimum from July to September so these months (spring) there is a glut of milk. The 1cpl is deducted now and shared back out for every liter produced in summer iykwim. Got well over 2cpl back last year.

Why try to reduce the production for those months? Is it less profitable or some farm management reason?

Why try to reduce the production for those months? Is it less profitable or some farm management reason?

Holidays. One gets fed up of milking 365...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,135 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

cjpm wrote: »

I got a call like that 2-3 week ago as well.

I think that they may have stock left. They have been pushing the June-Sept payment method on fertlizer and the loyalty but if you are being charged for it what is the use.

Slava Ukrainii

Global milk prices
    image.png
    (There's quotas still in Canada, isn't there, ahem :):) )

Global milk prices
    image.png
    (There's quotas still in Canada, isn't there, ahem :):) )

Now, now Clyde...

Don't you remember '09? Or was it '10?
    Whatever...
    Regardless it's pointless now.

30yrs of creaming it counts for nought.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/shortterm-milk-outlook-is-pessimistic-34597872.html

its funny he wouldnt tell us what milk price they have planned for coming months (and they have budgets done and we are the suppliers most processors can give some guidelines) yet he'd go to the media and announce a low 20 figure, talk about talking the market down im sure the buyers will love that, thats hardly going to help the Nigerian sales rep either poor fella he wouldnt be in line for any bonus this year

im actually still having nightmares over the fonterra mention/model that they are hoping to follow, dont think im going to fit the model considering were indoor for nearly 5 months every year

no product to intervention, but being used as a stick

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement