Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

considering were indoor for nearly 5 months every year

Thanks Mist.
    It's a bit of a marketing coup. My cows spend more time grazing...Reality, not spin. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

your might see more grass but mine are happier to have roof over their head than to be out on grass especially this weather (8mm of rain this morining), plus im on first name basis with all of them and i give each of them a rub them every day just like the japanese with the wagu beef....milk tastes nicer:)

milk producer group on farmers journal 20m litre pool, interesting development with excellent supply pattern over 365 days

was reading last night the french farmers get paid a higher milk price as they have a larger share of the retail price (more aligned than our, their processor selling skills result in higher farm gate price, value the product as opposed to just trying to achieve sales) and while irish retail prices have increased the same has not applied to the liquid milk producers/consumer products, farm house cheeses in ireland on the increase more producers in ireland presently than france which i found surprising

your might see more grass but mine are happier to have roof over their head than to be out on grass especially this weather (8mm of rain this morining), plus im on first name basis with all of them and i give each of them a rub them every day just like the japanese with the wagu beef....milk tastes nicer:)

milk producer group on farmers journal 20m litre pool, interesting development with excellent supply pattern over 365 days

was reading last night the french farmers get paid a higher milk price as they have a larger share of the retail price (more aligned than our, their processor selling skills result in higher farm gate price, value the product as opposed to just trying to achieve sales) and while irish retail prices have increased the same has not applied to the liquid milk producers/consumer products, farm house cheeses in ireland on the increase more producers in ireland presently than france which i found surprising

I've been waiting to respond to this until more certain of the new proposals from Paris.
    The will be no A+B+C quota with my processor. Tbh I was concerned because we've nearly trebled production from original quota.
    The Coop have committed to an average price of 35cpl over the next five years.
    '16 and '17 to be as now, or worse...

The French do make a lot of cheeses under the aoc and aop headings.
    I've no idea how many artisan cheeses are produced, or how many producers. It is very encouraging to see so many artisan producers in Ireland now. Maybe the Coop's/Gov/Teagasc should focus more time and money on that produce rather than bigger powder driers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Dawggone wrote: »
    It is very encouraging to see so many artisan producers in Ireland now. Maybe the Coop's/Gov/Teagasc should focus more time and money on that produce rather than bigger powder driers...

Or they could just leave us alone and let us produce something wonderful.

Preferably without the milk being twice boiled and beaten half to death before it gets to the vat.

kowtow wrote: »
    Or they could just leave us alone and let us produce something wonderful.

Preferably without the milk being twice boiled and beaten half to death before it gets to the vat.

Lol.
    True. Anything they get involved with often gets fecked up.
    Raw milk and its products should be an informed and personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Looking to get in touch with any dairy farmer in North / East Wicklow area to see about few gallons of milk every so often for my smallholding pigs... anyone on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

bradygaz wrote: »
    Looking to get in touch with any dairy farmer in North / East Wicklow area to see about few gallons of milk every so often for my smallholding pigs... anyone on here?

Try the dairy thread. I think there might be one or two in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

At walk yday, former macra man was saying he met board members from different coops and they said farmers have been very quiet over last few months. He reckoned twas time to start putting pressure on board members as if they say markets are only returning 20c and intervention is 21 and nothing has gone in to intervention in last few weeks so something ain't quiet right

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

[QUOTE=Dawggone;

The French do make a lot of cheeses under the aoc and aop headings.
    I've no idea how many artisan cheeses are produced, or how many producers. It is very encouraging to see so many artisan producers in Ireland now. Maybe the Coop's/Gov/Teagasc should focus more time and money on that produce rather than bigger powder driers...[/QUOTE]

Yes Dawggone, couldnt have spoken more true words
    One booth dont fit all:D
    But sadly its not in the national intrest ;) so we shall continue as a commidty producers, in the intrest of the state, but fair play to those who do think outside the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well squeeze was put on here on unpasturised cheese. This was perceived to be in the best interest of the large processors who were afraid of some incident 'damaging' the national dairy image.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Anyone know what happened to the Dairygold expulsion thread? It seems to have disappeared? I hope boards hasn't been receiving any legal threats or anything?
    Would hate to see the principle of free speech coming under attack.

FYI, I asked the Mods about the Dairygold Expulsions thread as I am the OP and I could not find it. They said they knew nothing of it but to contact, named person, who's in the office as that person had 'stood down' the thread.

Contacted her with query, what happened and reason. She replied that she had done this to check was their any defamation on the thread. She would edit it and then put it up again, amended.

I take it, some very specific contact was made. This contact wasn't with Mods as per usual by anyone reporting.
    Quite disturbed by this development in light of the reasonable freedom afforded by and to all of us by the forum for fair comment.
    But will not comment further for the moment. Will see how it pans out.

Feel free to copy this elsewhere, fellow posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Water John wrote: »
    FYI, I asked the Mods about the Dairygold Expulsions thread as I am the OP and I could not find it. They said they knew nothing of it but to contact, named person, who's in the office as that person had 'stood down' the thread.

Contacted her with query, what happened and reason. She replied that she had done this to check was their any defamation on the thread. She would edit it and then put it up again, amended.

I take it, some very specific contact was made. This contact wasn't with Mods as per usual by anyone reporting.
    Quite disturbed by this development in light of the reasonable freedom afforded by and to all of us by the forum for fair comment.

I wonder did boards get a letter signed by someone who had reportedly died in 1965?
    Joe Duffy had a query about such a practice last week. Not sure he ever got a proper explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

GIIL
    24c
    Which includes1c from ornua bonus and 1c from glanbia coop

Ex Vat and the various funding nechanism' they've used for fixed milk ,GiiL getting the milk for about 20c now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

GIIL
    24c

Ex Vat and the various funding nechanism' they've used for fixed milk ,GiiL getting the milk for about 20c now
    sickner of a text to get at the end of a long crap day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

whelan2 wrote: »

The Talbot/Bergin 30 million profit target for GiiL,in a time when farms are on their knee's, that this decision and others is part financing,how much of that is going to benefit the 60% Co op owner of GiiL or to benefit the farmer?
    NONE
    So why does the farmer Acquiese?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Water John wrote: »

I'd say they didn't like people knowing about their pension fund. I'm a member and was a bit shocked by the type and how large it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Could have been worse. This thread had an effect. The only way to keep any manners on them is to keep hammering your board members. Plenty of them love their fees and the threat of taking their seat will keep the focused. Bergin and Talbot had at least double that cut in mind.

Could have been worse. This thread had an effect. The only way to keep any manners on them is to keep hammering your board members. Plenty of them love their fees and the threat of taking their seat will keep the focused. Bergin and Talbot had at least double that cut in mind.

Maybe I should throw in that we have a written guarantee of an average minimum price of 35cpl between 1April 2016 and 1April 2021.
    Amazing what a little pressure can achieve. The pressure here came in the form of herd dispersals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

At least we know before we start serving for next spring, I think there will be alot more beef straws used this year, I am off to moan at my local Ifa meeting :cool:

• Advertisement

At least we know before we start serving for next spring, I think there will be alot more beef straws used this year, I am off to moan at my local Ifa meeting :cool:

Rangler mentioned somewhere that now is a good time to lobby gov/politicians for rural/Ag affairs. He's right. IFA need to be strong now.

Go direct on that Dawgone. Ring Healy Raes and Fitzmaurice.
    IFA useless.

Most lads in group using 5/6 weeks of dairy ai max then in with bulls or beef ai. Now that could change given bad start with weather conditions for mating but wouldn't surprise if that holds true for most. I'll go 8 weeks ai as locked up and only have one bull so need to give him some chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Dawggone wrote: »
    Maybe I should throw in that we have a written guarantee of an average minimum price of 35cpl between 1April 2016 and 1April 2021.
    Amazing what a little pressure can achieve. The pressure here came in the form of herd dispersals...

I've said it a million times the French are the only country that look aftert their farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Milked out wrote: »
    Most lads in group using 5/6 weeks of dairy ai max then in with bulls or beef ai. Now that could change given bad start with weather conditions for mating but wouldn't surprise if that holds true for most. I'll go 8 weeks ai as locked up and only have one bull so need to give him some chance

Doing 4 weeks dairy ai here and only top 30% of cows will be served to sexed dairy sires with a few getting conventional straws , going all sexed on maidens so will adequately cover replacements, along with fr stock bull covering repeats.....
    I reckon come 2019 you could put the house on dairy cow numbers dropping nationally, the mood out their at the minute given milk price and the spring we are having to endure has opened alot of lads eye's to the risks of hiking up numbers and the folly of carrying extra replacements through at massive cost hoping that Talbot and Co will throw you down enough crumbs from the top table to stay going

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Doing 4 weeks dairy ai here and only top 30% of cows will be served to sexed dairy sires with a few getting conventional straws , going all sexed on maidens so will adequately cover replacements, along with fr stock bull covering repeats.....
    I reckon come 2019 you could put the house on dairy cow numbers dropping nationally, the mood out their at the minute given milk price and the spring we are having to endure has opened alot of lads eye's to the risks of hiking up numbers and the folly of carrying extra replacements through at massive cost hoping that Talbot and Co will throw you down enough crumbs from the top table to stay going

Thing is a lot of lads, me included, have the replacements there to come in for next two years so part of that cost is already gone out so not sure if such a drop will happen. A lot of lads with young herds too due to culling old girls with quota issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Biggest mistake of my career (for want of a better word) was sighing that fecking msa.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    I've said it a million times the French are the only country that look aftert their YOUNG farmers.

FYP.

Milked out wrote: »
    Thing is a lot of lads, me included, have the replacements there to come in for next two years so part of that cost is already gone out so not sure if such a drop will happen. A lot of lads with young herds too due to culling old girls with quota issues

Given the hammering cows are after taking this spring which will have a knock - on effect on breeding you could see a lot of cull cows next bank-end....
    In the position here that I will have to many cows all going well next spring , planning on selling any cows that have issues like low yields/solids/feet etc with Belgian blue calves at foot as a double suckling job....
    Should clear well over 1300 a cow with calves at foot will be a get out of jail card the way things are looking at the minute for next spring, and will tidy up the herd nicely and bump up milk solids sent per cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

GIIL
    24c

Does this mean glanbia are paying solids bonus on a 22 cent base?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Does this mean glanbia are paying solids bonus on a 22 cent base?

My understanding is exactly that darragh ,22 cent plus solids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Given the hammering cows are after taking this spring which will have a knock - on effect on breeding you could see a lot of cull cows next bank-end....
    In the position here that I will have to many cows all going well next spring , planning on selling any cows that have issues like low yields/solids/feet etc with Belgian blue calves at foot as a double suckling job....
    Should clear well over 1300 a cow with calves at foot will be a get out of jail card the way things are looking at the minute for next spring, and will tidy up the herd nicely and bump up milk solids sent per cow

Do not bet the house on it. 2017 will be one of the trickiest beef years in a long time. All those 2015 calves that were not exported ( sucklers and dairy) will be coming on stream as beef cattle. As well as is alluded to here to lots of cull cows. Only one way drystock prices will go and that is downhill. You might be better to sell the BB calves for export and take the hit on the cows, If there is a good cull cow price at the end of the year I be flogging them. Remember 2014 the way beef prices were take another 10% off them it could be as bad as that.

Slava Ukrainii

Do not bet the house on it. 2017 will be one of the trickiest beef years in a long time. All those 2015 calves that were not exported ( sucklers and dairy) will be coming on stream as beef cattle. As well as is alluded to here to lots of cull cows. Only one way drystock prices will go and that is downhill. You might be better to sell the BB calves for export and take the hit on the cows, If there is a good cull cow price at the end of the year I be flogging them. Remember 2014 the way beef prices were take another 10% off them it could be as bad as that.

Have customers for them already, live in the heart of sucker country here with lots of part time beef men who are always keen for good healthy beef calves and pay nicely as they know the calves are genuine , would be talking about very solid br/fr cows who will still have a good beef value after rearing calves....
    Even when beef price has been on the floor continental cross calves always seem to be a great trade

mahoney_j wrote: »
    My understanding is exactly that darragh ,22 cent plus solids

Yeah it's a nice smoke-screen, to screw you out of a few more euros, at 22 cent .1 bf will be worth around .21 cent and pr .5.....
    Funny thing is its the high solids/lower volume herds that will be hit hardest, a glanbia supplier with say a herd average of 4.6bf and 3.7 p as a yearly average will only get in our around 3.5 cent over base at 22 cent litre, pretty sobering figure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

I'm going to order 6 ton of dairy nuts and 14 ton of fertilisers tomorrow and I won't even be ringing them glanbia wankxxx for a quote even tho location wise it would be the handiest for me.

No point in any of rest off us non Glanbia suppliers been too smug cause our own processors will be setting price over next few days and I see a spate of 1/2 cent cuts across the board unfourtnately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

22 cents base, next years investment must now be questioned increased debt higher interest and repayments

all three ceo of gii, kerry, and dairygold all out this weeks talking markets down to get cheap milk, stop undercutting everyone in export markets ye are driving our price down its simple economics

drop all sustainability initiatives your supplier base at these prices is not sustainable and so you dont deserve to wear the badge

Certainly dont be making one of our future growth markets economy worse by ordering two taxis to take reps around when visiting

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35990319

idaho milk suppliers only signed a 2 year msa!!!

Do you buy meal and fert off ur co op mahoney? I think it's time we all bought of the smaller merchant that is not a co op?

mf240 wrote: »
    Biggest mistake of my career (for want of a better word) was sighing that fecking msa.

Whereabouts you based, if your only option was Lakeland don't beat yourself up to much, they wouldn't entertain taking us on as weren't " poaching" glanbia suppliers

• Advertisement

Do you buy meal and fert off ur co op mahoney? I think it's time we all bought of the smaller merchant that is not a co op?

Spread it out jack ,fertliser requirement is put to 3 merchants including my own and cheapest quote gets business .i buy fert 3/4 times a year.dont buy any meal off my coop due to quality and poor nutritional back up.all cow feed bought off roches feeds ,never an issue with price /advice or quality .doing it this way spreads the credit !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Spread it out jack ,fertliser requirement is put to 3 merchants including my own and cheapest quote gets business .i buy fert 3/4 times a year.dont buy any meal off my coop due to quality and poor nutritional back up.all cow feed bought off roches feeds ,never an issue with price /advice or quality .doing it this way spreads the credit !!!!

yes it always best to spread the costs around unless you want one company have you by the balls .this is going to be along painfull yr i think , and here i have just bought a new bulk tank :(

Whereabouts you based, if your only option was Lakeland don't beat yourself up to much, they wouldn't entertain taking us on as weren't " poaching" glanbia suppliers

Arrawbanw lorry would be coming near enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Buy 90% of my feed of a smaller feed company but make sure still to price around and keep them on their toes.

Glanbia are very competitive on fert.

No point in cutting of your nose to spite you face.

They are miles out on dairy nut prices. THough.

I'm finished with them won't buy a roll of wire off them till they start paying us for the milk, I'd rather pay more to the smaller merchant than give it to them counts.

• Advertisement

maybe its time for dairy farmers to protest against gill like they have done in france and stand to the ......... and shower of .........

We should go on strike like the lads that drive the little trains in Dublin .

There should be a slurry tanker of milk funked in the sitting room windows of begin and talbot houses to start off with.

na that be to nice for them tank of slurry would be better . but seen bergin is a pig he be happy out rolling in ****e . well its time for grass roots farmers to take up the fight . want could they really do if a real strong group of suppliers threaten to leave and break the msa . i know i dont supply gil but they are just bullys , for once in our lives have got stand up demand change or leave .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

na that be to nice for them tank of slurry would be better . but seen bergin is a pig he be happy out rolling in ****e . well its time for grass roots farmers to take up the fight . want could they really do if a real strong group of suppliers threaten to leave and break the msa . i know i dont supply gil but they are just bullys , for once in our lives have got stand up demand change or leave .

The problem is where would you go to. Other co-op do not want more milk at present as well they might be afraid of taking a militant group of suppliers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement