Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

whelan2 wrote: »
    Sure thats no problem, we all just lie down and let it happen

Exactly.
    You are in a buyers market, and I think I may be in a sellers market...

#grasstomilk.

That 'slogan' is probably the biggest fcuk up you've ever made. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

How can there be such a price differential between us? Jockeys and horses..

Too tired to read the thread. Sorry.

Prime Time/Today Tonight.

Jesus Wept.

A large dose of reality is needed. FAST!

Christ above!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

the business model is built on cheap milk, once we lie down and accept it,:mad:

ive gotten word from inside they are aiming for a 25 euro share price and the word is they want to achieve this at any cost, who is going to bear the cost of this irish & uk & usa suppliers of milk, grain and veg farmers, they will sell more each year, charge less selling and pay less to suppliers but keep margin for market speculators

the plc share price rocketed when farmers reduced shareholding below the magic number, the value of the company current balance sheet in comparison to when the market is valuing it is very interesting as all valuations of the business based on market speculation rather than core assets as shown in balance sheet, coop value is half what was being spoken of in meetings as shares not open to the market so worth the value in balance sheet not market speculation at a given time when they cant be traded as we have to vote first

us irish suppliers played our part in this huge jump in value (the people who voted knew the lads on the board representing them were no good and signaled to market we needed new people on board sacrificing our majority, wed do that if given the chance in our coop clear out the lot of them)

Aggressive target set by management which from all the aggressive/overpaying for acquisitions to ensure they keep up their ratios for those watching markets, keep an eye on debt levels, they need to show continuous improvement can they show this without spending???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Dawggone wrote: »
    Prime Time/Today Tonight.

Jesus Wept.

A large dose of reality is needed. FAST!

Christ above!

I missed it. What was it about. Worth watching on the Rte player tomorrow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

20 cent in June, and they bragging about it already, they really are a shower of cuts, oh well let's do what we do best, drop our pants and rub in the vasoline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭alps

20c/l equates to a whopping 58 pence .....

Per gallon.....In old money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

alps wrote: »
    20c/l equates to a whopping 58 pence .....

Per gallon.....In old money...

That cant be right
    Wait i just calculated it to 70 pence per gallon in old money
    I wonder what year was it that low price beside 2009
    i would bet early/mid 80's

Last month 29c at 3.3 etc from a supplier who showed me his 1 page statement

That's a difference of ~ €7k/100klitres.

Time to move to Strathroy.
    I asked my Coop yesterday about moving. I've to give 15 working days of notice. Definite visit of milk manager today...

cute geoge wrote: »
    That cant be right
    Wait i just calculated it to 70 pence per gallon in old money
    I wonder what year was it that low price beside 2009
    i would bet early/mid 80's

Sorry you're dead on 71.5...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I asked my Coop yesterday about moving. I've to give 15 working days of notice. Definite visit of milk manager today...
    We only have to give 3 years notice of moving, 2 years after signing the msa:cool: I wonder if enough farmers pull together can the msa be dumped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

We only have to give 3 years notice of moving, 2 years after signing the msa:cool: I wonder if enough farmers pull together can the msa be dumped?

Only one way to find out whelan ,there's enough disgruntled suppliers here and on twitter ,could be an idea to get a few private messages going try form a group ,meet up and discuss tactics .be careful though Glanbia are seemingly monitoring social media!!!!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Only one way to find out whelan ,there's enough disgruntled suppliers here and on twitter ,could be an idea to get a few private messages going try form a group ,meet up and discuss tactics .be careful though Glanbia are seemingly monitoring social media!!!!!.

I sent the contents of dawgs post re baby powder to ten suppliers yesterday. Response was hugely underwhelming. It's easy to hose suppliers who lie down and take it.

As predicted, milk manager called...

Made me an offer I couldn't refuse...

Not the horses head in the bed kinda offer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

we had our meeting yesterday and im sorry to say but dairy markets are in s%%t.this is getting worse and worse and 20 cent a litre is coming into view without it being there yet.you can storm the boardroom,hang the chief executive and take over the plant but when you go to sell your ton of cheese you ll still only get 2150 a ton and its the same for all products.first scheme of interventionin smp. of 109 k tons is full and the second is nearly half full and im not sure whats going to happen then.west cork held but theres big drops ahead as an existing contract finishs now and the new one is at least 3 cent lower and could be more but we may be able to mitigate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I sent the contents of dawgs post re baby powder to ten suppliers yesterday. Response was hugely underwhelming. It's easy to hose suppliers who lie down and take it.

Not surprised free ,some of us farmers Are great to talk and type stuff here and elsewhere but when it comes to making real effort and pushing an agenda like this we are sheep and the likes of Glanbia know that .axrecent example id use where real action was took and real results were achieved is in my own coop where a disgruntled group met took action forced decisions from management and cruically backed there decision to jump ship to another coop .our board and management got the kick in the ass they needed and had to take action to stop a mass exodus .result been a very strong milk price and improved coop performance since .unfourtnstely for guys that left to 2 rival coops they have been a long way shy of our base price since and its the rest of suppliers that staid have reaped the benefits

When at Glanbia meeting last year we were told Glanbia are committed to their part of the msa and they hoped we would keep to ours. Are they keeping to their side of the agreement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

When at Glanbia meeting last year we were told Glanbia are committed to their part of the msa and they hoped we would keep to ours. Are they keeping to their side of the agreement?

Heads should roll something wrotten in GLANBIA when biggest processer pays worst price

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

milkprofit wrote: »
    Heads should roll something wrotten in GLANBIA when biggest processer pays worst price

In fairness that honour goes to Dairygold. But gill are definitely ins the title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Think I'm gonna sign outa boards for afew weeks ha, none of this doom and gloom doing my head anygood 2bh.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna sign outa boards for afew weeks ha, none of this doom and gloom doing my head anygood 2bh.
    Whatever you do dont go to an IFA meeting, feck sake depression on a major scale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Timmaay wrote: »

Eh don't do that now you have a 4G smartphone,you'll end up looking for other uses for it like that movie I streamed once 'catholic high school girls in trouble'
    Its a slippery slope :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Eh don't do that now you have a 4G smartphone,you'll end up looking for other uses for it like that movie I streamed once 'catholic high school girls in trouble'
    Its a slippery slope :D

Why were they in trouble? did they forget their homework? Were they late for mass?

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Not surprised free ,some of us farmers Are great to talk and type stuff here and elsewhere but when it comes to making real effort and pushing an agenda like this we are sheep and the likes of Glanbia know that .axrecent example id use where real action was took and real results were achieved is in my own coop where a disgruntled group met took action forced decisions from management and cruically backed there decision to jump ship to another coop .our board and management got the kick in the ass they needed and had to take action to stop a mass exodus .result been a very strong milk price and improved coop performance since .unfourtnstely for guys that left to 2 rival coops they have been a long way shy of our base price since and its the rest of suppliers that staid have reaped the benefits

Many farmers owe these guys a debt of gratitude....brave and decisive, 2 traits that management don't normally have to deal with...
    Hope things go well for them long term.....It will because they will decide that it will

keep going wrote: »
    we had our meeting yesterday and im sorry to say but dairy markets are in s%%t.this is getting worse and worse and 20 cent a litre is coming into view without it being there yet.you can storm the boardroom,hang the chief executive and take over the plant but when you go to sell your ton of cheese you ll still only get 2150 a ton and its the same for all products.first scheme of interventionin smp. of 109 k tons is full and the second is nearly half full and im not sure whats going to happen then.west cork held but theres big drops ahead as an existing contract finishs now and the new one is at least 3 cent lower and could be more but we may be able to mitigate it

Explain the post above your one so kg. Management in dairy processors are well capable of spinning figures any direction they want to suit their purposes. If they wanted new processing investment they'd use the same figures to show farmer board members how the new investment was the only option.

Explain the post above your one so kg. Management in dairy processors are well capable of spinning figures any direction they want to suit their purposes. If they wanted new processing investment they'd use the same figures to show farmer board members how the new investment was the only option.

If you're referring to my post Free, money wasn't offered. I can't say more than that...

They even got some to believe that these plants were state of the art used only for making infant formula. The board members didn't even seem to be able to grasp that infact these new overly priced plants would just be used to turn milk in to powder and store it until they could find someone to buy it.
    The one bit missing from the plan was A could they sell this powder and B would the plan be viable for the farmer supplying the milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The only thing Glanbia are worried about is share price.

Perhaps it might be prudent to point out to them that a bunch of disgruntled farmers protesting outside their creamerys featured on the nine o clock news wouldn't be good for share price.

Perhaps they might be able to find a couple of cent a litre somewhere.

If price does drop to 20cpl for say 12 - 18 months...would you return to quota if it brought price to 30cpl?

Just asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

yeah but thats like the fella that comes down the yard selling you x or y,its you that has to suck the numbers up if you want to.as i said you can say what you like about anybody on boards or management but the price of end product aint going to change in the current climate.

• Advertisement

If price does drop to 20cpl for say 12 - 18 months...would you return to quota if it brought price to 30cpl?

Just asking.

Leasing or buying quota looks cheap now when you look at it when the quota went we just added the lease price onto the rental price of the ground and we're paying the full amount anyway.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I dont know if many can last that long around here at those prices.
    I will be out this year if things dont pick up I can weather some bad times but wont be a slave indefinitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Just asking.

If 2015 production total was used as a base year for quota referance I would gladly return to a quota system, the whole let the markets decide the price/inefficient producers will go bankrupt is deluded...
    Irish producers at the minute although we mighten like to think it are high cost producers when commodities like wheat/maize/soya are at such low prices, brilliant article about American dairy farmers that showed farmers who made alot of their feed in-house where less profitable then ones who bought in all their feed our a large chunk of it,....
    America with their margin over production scheme is the elephant in the room and hogan retrotic about letting the markets work threw these low prices is bull when American dairy farmers are pumping out the white stuff while being heavily subsidised doing it on top of record low feed prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Henwin wrote: »
    any idea on what Kerry are paying for March milk?
    Kerry hold base price at 25c:)

Looks like some disgruntlement is having some effect.:)

But it looks bad for the 1.4c 13th payment due:mad:

mf240 wrote: »
    The only thing Glanbia are worried about is share price.

Perhaps it might be prudent to point out to them that a bunch of disgruntled farmers protesting outside their creamerys featured on the nine o clock news wouldn't be good for share price.

Perhaps they might be able to find a couple of cent a litre somewhere.
    Be careful now, apparently the Glanbia rep in Nigeria doesnt like these type of comments :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Be careful now, apparently the Glanbia rep in Nigeria doesnt like these type of comments :rolleyes:
    I wonder if he sent us on his bank account details, we might be able to transfer a few cent a liter his way when the milk price rises?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Last month 29c at 3.3 etc from a supplier who showed me his 1 page statement

That wouldn't be a great price for liquid winter milk- sure the Glanbia avg for liquid was 34cpl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Apparently he's handing out tocaire boxes with pictures of
    Irish farmers on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mf240 wrote: »
    Apparently he's handing out tocaire boxes with pictures of
    Irish farmers on them.

I know your joking but I reckon a large number of dairy farmers relying on it for their sole income and wife not working with say a couple of kids will probably have to apply for farm assist the way things are heading, maybe glanbia could do a workshop on this would be a lot more beneficial then touring the country rambling on about reps in Nigeria, our maybe include the paperwork for it in this month's milk statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    America with their margin over production scheme is the elephant in the room and hogan retrotic about letting the markets work threw these low prices is bull when American dairy farmers are pumping out the white stuff while being heavily subsidised doing it on top of record low feed prices

Most of their milk isn't being subsidised at the minute, less than 1% of milk in in at the $8 rate and average milk price is still above that according to the fsa website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Most of their milk isn't being subsidised at the minute, less than 1% of milk in in at the $8 rate and average milk price is still above that according to the fsa website

I visited a farm in Tennessee in November. Just an ordinary run of the mill 90 cow farm. Between us we calculated he was getting 47 cent per litre. And that was the norm for that state.
    He was sypplying a local liquid milk plant. No subsidy required on his milk price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sorry lads in butting in on yere thread but it is closely connected to milk price and all dairy farmers concerns. See script of post, I have just put up on its own thread.
    Like the Glanbia fellow concerned about Boards being read in Nigeria. Its seems others too would wish to muzzle us all.

Note re: Dairygold Expulsions, Thread on Farm & Forestry.
    From OP Water John
    Just a note, to let everyone know this thread has now been reinstated.
    It was temporarily 'taken down', a few days ago, so that it could be checked for any defamatory comments by Boards office.
    There was no intervention on this site by the Mods. This examination, obviously came about because of third party intervention.
    Well best of luck to you, policing the social media.

I have not yet checked through what items may have been deleted.

Boards is an important part of social media in Ireland. People can discuss many aspects that affect them with a wide range of like minded and often not like minded people in an open way.
    I am disgusted that anyone would seek to muzzle us Boardsies. Some of us are contrary and that's the beauty of it.

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry lads in butting in on yere thread but it is closely connected to milk price and all dairy farmers concerns. See script of post, I have just put up on its own thread.
    Like the Glanbia fellow concerned about Boards being read in Nigeria. Its seems others too would wish to muzzle us all.

Note re: Dairygold Expulsions, Thread on Farm & Forestry.
    From OP Water John
    Just a note, to let everyone know this thread has now been reinstated.
    It was temporarily 'taken down', a few days ago, so that it could be checked for any defamatory comments by Boards office.
    There was no intervention on this site by the Mods. This examination, obviously came about because of third party intervention.
    Well best of luck to you, policing the social media.

I have not yet checked through what items may have been deleted.

Boards is an important part of social media in Ireland. People can discuss many aspects that affect them with a wide range of like minded and often not like minded people in an open way.
    I am disgusted that anyone would seek to muzzle us Boardsies. Some of us are contrary and that's the beauty of it.

I wonder did boards get a letter with the signature of some guy who died in 1965 on it? Would love to know what that might have cost? Unbelievable stuff! How petty for any organisation to be so insecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Just asking.

Haha - that's a no brainer

Of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Just asking.

Is that a loaded question...following you're chat with the coop manager?????
    Something you're not telling us?
    Ps. Same as Jay, if based on 2015, bring it on.

Panch18 wrote: »
    Haha - that's a no brainer

Of course

How things can change...

Sadly.

Just asking.

No.

No.

:).
    Thanks.

Why? Honest answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

stanflt wrote: »
    That wouldn't be a great price for liquid winter milk- sure the Glanbia avg for liquid was 34cpl

Aye but liquid milk is the preserve of only about a third of glanbia suppliers and most probably less than half of their supply is contract
    The 29c however is topped up by solids in strathroy for those who negotiated that
    Those lads are doing a lot better than us I would think
    But lets not rock the boat...

:).
    Thanks.

Why? Honest answer?

Do you want the long version or the short one? Short one it doesn't suit me. I'll have a bigger top line this year at twenty than last year at thirty. I'm right in the middle of an expansion plan for this farm with a bigger long term goal and quota would actually break me. My cost per litre is well down this year with an expectation that it will fall further next year.

Do you want the long version or the short one? Short one it doesn't suit me. I'll have a bigger top line this year at twenty than last year at thirty. I'm right in the middle of an expansion plan for this farm with a bigger long term goal and quota would actually break me. My cost per litre is well down this year with an expectation that it will fall further next year.

Thanks for the short version.

Long version?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement