Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

i would also be saying NO to reintroduction of quotas, market price of milk rose and fell just as much during quota periods, eu supply position was consistent us and nz supply varied and thus causing period of over and under supply its a fine line between the two as is being shown now seen as eu has turned on their taps, the dust has not settled yet

our processors have taken their eye off the ball, they were consumed with building extra capacity, merger and acquisitions and spin outs and never developed strong relation ships to shift product once flood gates started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Dawggone wrote: »
    Thanks for the short version.

Long version?

Grasstomilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Thanks for the short version.

Long version?

Philosophical. I hate civil servants trying to control my business. I have been restricted by quotas all of my farming career with endless ways dreamed up to stop me from expanding my business whether it was based on location, or quota size or whatever certain farm politicians were having on a particular morning. What difference did it make? There are less than a quarter of the dairy farmers in this country than there was when quotas were introduced. Does anyone really think the overall situation would have been any worse if quotas had never been introduced? Anyone remember having to rent a minimum of two acres for every 1000 gals of milk you leased, basically funding some fcukers retirement for the glory of expanding at a snail's pace because all the jam was gone. The last time I was at this year's output levels I was basically paying 5c/l lease on every litre I produced as well as €120 per acre rent on every acre. 24c/l stacks up fairly well against those figures. Push hard into the back end and you won't be long pushing up the 24c. We sold over 100kg ms/cow in the last quarter of 2015. No chance to make back some losses like this with quota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Philosophical. I hate civil servants trying to control my business. I have been restricted by quotas all of my farming career with endless ways dreamed up to stop me from expanding my business whether it was based on location, or quota size or whatever certain farm politicians were having on a particular morning. What difference did it make? There are less than a quarter of the dairy farmers in this country than there was when quotas were introduced. Does anyone really think the overall situation would have been any worse if quotas had never been introduced? Anyone remember having to rent a minimum of two acres for every 1000 gals of milk you leased, basically funding some fcukers retirement for the glory of expanding at a snail's pace because all the jam was gone. The last time I was at this year's output levels I was basically paying 5c/l lease on every litre I produced as well as €120 per acre rent on every acre. 24c/l stacks up fairly well against those figures. Push hard into the back end and you won't be long pushing up the 24c. We sold over 100kg ms/cow in the last quarter of 2015. No chance to make back some losses like this with quota.

Thanks Free.

'Expanding at a snails pace because all the jam was gone'...

I remember when every year for decades wheat made good money. For the last three years it's been in the doldrums. Equivalent to ~ 14cpl now and next year could be worse.
    Commodity milk could very well follow those kind of cycles. So at 20cpl in 2018, expansion would be simple...in fact Coops could be calling, like here, looking for your milk so as to fill contracts.

No doom and gloom, just, like, that's the way it is!
    Upside is opportunities will abound.

Edit. I've only got 125acres of commodity wheat now. All bread varieties...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

our processors have taken their eye off the ball, they were consumed with building extra capacity, merger and acquisitions and spin outs and never developed strong relation ships to shift product once flood gates started

That's total crap there. No processor is throwing milk away. So they have the customers to shift the product. Problem is no customer is going to pay substantially more than the market.
    Would you on your farm. Fert prices have dropped grain prices have dropped. Do you not take advantage of that.
    Our customers don't really care if milk is a bit dear or a bit cheap. But they are not going to pay much more than market price or they won't be competitive with their competitor's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

st1979 wrote: »
    That's total crap there. No processor is throwing milk away. So they have the customers to shift the product. Problem is no customer is going to pay substantially more than the market.
    Would you on your farm. Fert prices have dropped grain prices have dropped. Do you not take advantage of that.
    Our customers don't really care if milk is a bit dear or a bit cheap. But they are not going to pay much more than market price or they won't be competitive with their competitor's.

Last week a processor in Ireland didn't exactly throw away milk, but they did sell it on for 2 cent a litre. This was after they removed the cream which was valued at 10 cent approx.
    So to say they have customers for everything is incorrect. They have customers for what they budgeted for but excess milk is a loss maker for them. And that affects the price of all milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Dutch farmers are able to get a premium on their milk if they produce "meadow milk". All that's needed is 6 hours X 120 days on grass. Meanwhile our milk is being turned into powder and fed to dogs. Sloppy R&D and marketing by our coops.
    Pity they don't change the focus from low value "race to the bottom" products and look to the customers instead.
    (Eg All Bulmers had to do was produce pictures of a pint glass with ice in it and condensation running down the side of it, to quadruple their share price. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrabawn price 24.68!vat inc .down 1.2 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

If price does drop to 20cpl for say 12 - 18 months...would you return to quota if it brought price to 30cpl?

Just asking.

never.started here with 8 k gallons of quota and in west cork that was a death sentence as a far as milking was concerned.im not sure how things are going to pan out for me after buying land and the price of milk falling but at least i can fight without one hand tied behind my back and carrying another fella on my back.if ill go down its because i couldnt make a go of it not because of what my father did in the quota years

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    never.started here with 8 k gallons of quota and in west cork that was a death sentence as a far as milking was concerned.im not sure how things are going to pan out for me after buying land and the price of milk falling but at least i can fight without one hand tied behind my back and carrying another fella on my back.if ill go down its because i couldnt make a go of it not because of what my father did in the quota years

+1. Excellent post! Fair dues.

You must be "one of those dairy men with the big balls" I saw refered to disparagingly on another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You must be "one of those dairy men with the big balls" I saw refered to disparagingly on another thread.
    There's a lot of posters out there rubbing their hands with glee at seeing Dairy farmers get their 'comeuppance'.

It says more about them than Dairy farmers, tbh.

But but but.....:)
    14 years started off dairying here. Nothing in the place dairy related except land. I'd be in an area that was tight on quota, but over the 12 years bought 600k litres. (Never leased any). Even traded a bit of land to get quota. Last quota I bought was 2013. Took chances some years on SL got caught sometimes, worst fine was in '09 @24k. Costing up the quota it cost me 2.1c/l (most of which was written off, once the end of quotas was announced). And the SL fines cost me 0.8c/l on average over the 14 years.
    So that's 2.9c, say 3c/l while I was expanding. Once expansion is stopped that 3c would get diluted very quickly.
    And I was increasing my net worth, asset.
    And I had something of value to cash in had it stayed in place.
    And there was a more stable milk price
    And while it was there, capex on dairy equipment was way way cheaper.
    Just saying.

(Ps I'm not arguing for or against, but quotas being there was not an excuse not to get into cows per cow there was definitely a better living to be had from it, even while expanding)
    IMO

But but but.....:)
    14 years started off dairying here. Nothing in the place dairy related except land. I'd be in an area that was tight on quota, but over the 12 years bought 600k litres. (Never leased any). Even traded a bit of land to get quota. Last quota I bought was 2013. Took chances some years on SL got caught sometimes, worst fine was in '09 @24k. Costing up the quota it cost me 2.1c/l (most of which was written off, once the end of quotas was announced). And the SL fines cost me 0.8c/l on average over the 14 years.
    So that's 2.9c, say 3c/l while I was expanding. Once expansion is stopped that 3c would get diluted very quickly.
    And I was increasing my net worth, asset.
    And I had something of value to cash in had it stayed in place.
    And there was a more stable milk price
    And while it was there, capex on dairy equipment was way way cheaper.
    Just saying.

(Ps I'm not arguing for or against, but quotas being there was not an excuse not to get into cows per cow there was definitely a better living to be had from it, even while expanding)
    IMO

+1. Brilliant post. Balanced.

I did the opposite...cashed in at every turn on an 'asset' I never earned.

the market price is a guide price it up to each selling to market their product to achieve a higher return, taking an example from our farm we sell heifers each year and command a higher price than that of the irish mart market trade, we set the price regardless of mart price (as we know the value of our product). My father has built up a strong customer base with many repeating customers...all who say your charging a bit much for heifer but seem to keep coming back

our product is not being sold to end consumer it is being sold through middle men (B2B), the consumer only see the end price and that is all they are concerned with, consumer prices internationally have not followed commodity pricing so the middle men are cleaning up at our expense look at financials of large food companies, none of them are under pressure that falls to supplier base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

If you were cute enough milk quota was to be had for free. From 2000 on capital allowance was available on the purchase price over 7 years. When all the capital allowances were claimed, incorporate and place the quota in the company as an asset and draw the value out tax free. That's of course if you were paying tax at c. 50% before you incorporated and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

They are fairly well tucked in at the moment, swiming in the artic tucked in:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hows Bellview going this year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

whelan2 wrote: »
    Hows Bellview going this year?

What exactly seemed to be the problem with it? It seems amazing that something can cost so much money and still not be right. Lakeland extended their plant in 2010 by adding on another 7 ton dryer and a fully automated packaging line to cater for something like 20 ton per hour for a total cost of only something like 20m. Surely things can't have got so expensive since? We never heard of any problems with that. It seems like the more money that is spent the more likely it is that things will go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    What exactly seemed to be the problem with it? It seems amazing that something can cost so much money and still not be right. Lakeland extended their plant in 2010 by adding on another 7 ton dryer and a fully automated packaging line to cater for something like 20 ton per hour for a total cost of only something like 20m. Surely things can't have got so expensive since? We never heard of any problems with that. It seems like the more money that is spent the more likely it is that things will go wrong?

I don't know that much about lake lands new dryer but there are 2 points to it. I) I'm pretty sure they ran into decent difficulties with the dryer for about 6 months (know nothing of packing line). But because it was an extra dryer it wasn't the end of the world if it didn't run well. They still had the existing plant to fall back on, albeit they were prob very tight on milk for the 6 months.
    Ii) bellview is a green field site with every single item there being new and a lot of new staff, with very little experience of evaporating and drying milk. It can most definitely be said that glanbia were foolish to try run a new plant with so many new people with no experience. And You would imagine a migratory system with ballyragget staff for the first 6 months would have worked better. But regardless of that, a new green field site was never ever going to run well in the first year. There are just way too many parts to try and get going well together. Intake, separation, evaporation, drying, bagging, CIP... Put in one of those systems new into an existing plant and you will have problems for 3-6 months refining it. Put in all in one go and I imagine your facing absolute hell for 12 months.
    Just my opinion on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We hear there starting commissioning the plant in Mallow.
    Keep your ear to the ground there, Farmer Ed. You'll be able to hear when the pipes start 'knocking'.

They'll be telling all and sundry, how wonderful its working.

belview is flying this year, ballyragget having issues instead this year, not enough milk for belview and yet gii are on about building new cheese plant, i cant understand that, if its anything like kilmeaden they will do it up to close it down and keep the brand name

liquid lads got priority pooling for consumer foods fixed price scheme so dont think ye lost out 6c base difference presently, they have to give us manufacturing suppliers an apple off the tree the odd time

do like they way gii could pay ornua levy before money came in no cashflow pressures there

orna nua levy dropped until milk reaches 30c a litre does this only apply to those in fixed price scheme or is it applied across the board

22.9c milk price march, getting charged for a dairy council levy why are we being charged this we are not allowed sell consumer products in ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

belview is flying this year, ballyragget having issues instead this year, not enough milk for belview and yet gii are on about building new cheese plant, i cant understand that, if its anything like kilmeaden they will do it up to close it down and keep the brand name

liquid lads got priority pooling for consumer foods fixed price scheme so dont think ye lost out 6c base difference presently, they have to give us manufacturing suppliers an apple off the tree the odd time

do like they way gii could pay ornua levy before money came in no cashflow pressures there

orna nua levy dropped until milk reaches 30c a litre does this only apply to those in fixed price scheme or is it applied across the board

22.9c milk price march, getting charged for a dairy council levy why are we being charged this we are not allowed sell consumer products in ireland??

Chatting tanker driver Saturday and he was saying on his round was less milk going in, then the same time last year, the weather this week will probably lead to a flush of milk but cows aren't going to peak anyways near last year's highs

Chatting tanker driver Saturday and he was saying on his round was less milk going in then the same time last year, the weather this week will probably lead to a flush of milk but cows aren't going to peak anyways near last year's highs ......
    Would love to see what projections glanbia had for increased milk needed to run Belview efficently and what % increase they "thought " their supplier base would provide them with irrespective of not of what price they paid haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭alps

Mist.....if this is true, you have no representation. ...

I find it truly phenomenal that you coop cannot sell as it wishes....

This is a truly staggering situation.

i did get a 3% allocation to a fixed price scheme for consumer foods so that could be reason for it looking at statement but fixed price scheme was 28.8c and the levy reduced that to 26.3c

gii are not allowed sell consumer products in ireland that is true,export orientated company ireland inc doesnt apply to manufacturing suppliers, the reason is that it could rival the plc consumer foods division, it was in the agreement on spin out, supply agreement for 5 year to supply plc with consumer foods after that the plc can source from cheapest/alternative source....and they can now get milk in uk for 17p....kilmeaden cheese from wales

we supply a limited company not a coop, our coop is an investment vehicle trying to get as much appreciation on share price on glanbia as possible as opposed to the normal principals of cooperatives, although it has been paying a top up on supplies, manufacturing suppliers do need representation and they should get to meet with board to decide price every month

Water John wrote: »
    We hear there starting commissioning the plant in Mallow.
    Keep your ear to the ground there, Farmer Ed. You'll be able to hear when the pipes start 'knocking'.

They'll be telling all and sundry, how wonderful its working.

It would want to work well after all it has cost. Bearing in mind that the first estimated cost seemed way overpriced to begin with and then they still managed to run way over budget.

i did get a 3% allocation to a fixed price scheme for consumer foods so that could be reason for it looking at statement but fixed price scheme was 28.8c and the levy reduced that to 26.3c

gii are not allowed sell consumer products in ireland that is true,export orientated company ireland inc doesnt apply to manufacturing suppliers, the reason is that it could rival the plc consumer foods division, it was in the agreement on spin out, supply agreement for 5 year to supply plc with consumer foods after that the plc can source from cheapest/alternative source....and they can now get milk in uk for 17p....kilmeaden cheese from wales

we supply a limited company not a coop, our coop is an investment vehicle trying to get as much appreciation on share price on glanbia as possible as opposed to the normal principals of cooperatives, although it has been paying a top up on supplies, manufacturing suppliers do need representation and they should get to meet with board to decide price every month

Nice little side note in annual report, re availing of member support package "while no minimum trading level is required in 2016, the board has signalled an intention to consider a minimum trading requirement for future support payments...
    Really getting sick of them at the minute, between milk flex, their 7 year contracts, and now signilliang their trying to control you in that you have to buy your inputs of them, they will shortly dream up a scheme where you have to give them a hold over your land....
    It will shortly get to a stage where a supplier who avails of milk flex/ buys a lot of inputs of them will be lucky to get a milk cheque at all, probably end up owing them money at the end of the month the way they are heading with milk price

Heard from a good source that one CEO said he would drop the price to 17 cent if he would get away with it.
    You can see how some of the these boys and girls, think.

Farmers will have to shout stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Nice little side note in annual report, re availing of member support package "while no minimum trading level is required in 2016, the board has signalled an intention to consider a minimum trading requirement for future support payments...
    Really getting sick of them at the minute, between milk flex, their 7 year contracts, and now signilliang their trying to control you in that you have to buy your inputs of them, they will shortly dream up a scheme where you have to give them a hold over your land....
    It will shortly get to a stage where a supplier who avails of milk flex/ buys a lot of inputs of them will be lucky to get a milk cheque at all, probably end up owing them money at the end of the month the way they are heading with milk price
    The attitude that we should be glad they are taking our milk at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Heard from a good source that one CEO said he would drop the price to 17 cent if he would get away with it.

You're right John, 20 cent base price coming down the tracks from glanbia in the next few months.

You're pussy footing John....who said it?

We don't need to know the source

larry could be rubbing his hands by the end of summer make more selling to factory than milk processing, and going by the word from our processors we dont foresee much of an uplift

with mercosur trade deal on table prices not looking great into future either, might need to look at culling now

beware of the word from gii to push supplies due to political pressure in eu, meet a banker yesterday he was telling me how much he lost on shares as he bought through employee share options actively encouraged by banks, he said all the workers just believed management knew what they were doing, couldnt believe appreciation of shares over 20 years to have it all wiped out one morning...all it takes is a few bad decisions......kind of reminds me of our situation with gii, people (workers, suppliers, communities, government) hope they know what they are doing but i dont think they really do themselves

the mercosur deal will flood eu market with cheaper product, be interesting to see how french and germans farmers react then

I'd say its near enough to you Alps. Hardly needs guess work. List is small of who would be gamalogish enough to say it.

Jaysus.....Can they take back that cork person of the year?

Never heard that word gamalogish.....He might get a presentation for that too..

Alps, the previous generation had lots of Irish words. Very descriptive, especially of clowns and fools, male and female.

We need to resurrect the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

larry could be rubbing his hands by the end of summer make more selling to factory than milk processing, and going by the word from our processors we dont foresee much of an uplift

with mercosur trade deal on table prices not looking great into future either, might need to look at culling now

beware of the word from gii to push supplies due to political pressure in eu, meet a banker yesterday he was telling me how much he lost on shares as he bought through employee share options actively encouraged by banks, he said all the workers just believed management knew what they were doing, couldnt believe appreciation of shares over 20 years to have it all wiped out one morning...all it takes is a few bad decisions......kind of reminds me of our situation with gii, people (workers, suppliers, communities, government) hope they know what they are doing but i dont think they really do themselves

the mercosur deal will flood eu market with cheaper product, be interesting to see how french and germans farmers react then

We all know how the Irish farmers will react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Gdt up 3.8%.however the amount on offer was 21500 tons.the fun will start when Fonterra empties the surplus stuff at end of their season methinks

France dairy update.

With milk price forecasted to slide downwards for the near future, there are many small herds being dispersed. So as I predicted the smaller producers are getting out...however those with the land and ambition are getting bigger. Funny how as all the small producers disappear the global milk production in France is rising. Up an estimated 4% last month.
    Not surprisingly a new milk powder plant has been opened (northern France) to supply the world market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Gdt up 3.8%.however the amount on offer was 21500 tons.the fun will start when Fonterra empties the surplus stuff at end of their season methinks

They have claimed that they are selling more through higher value products and not as much through GDT this year so I suppose the jury's still out on that yet.

France dairy update.

With milk price forecasted to slide downwards for the near future, there are many small herds being dispersed. So as I predicted the smaller producers are getting out...however those with the land and ambition are getting bigger. Funny how as all the small producers disappear the global milk production in France is rising. Up an estimated 4% last month.
    Not surprisingly a new milk powder plant has been opened (northern France) to supply the world market.

Is that the N****e plant near Dijon.
    I have a buddy out there involved in the Pm of a baby powder plant to the east of Dijon. Ye all would have a right laugh if ye knew what country the unpackaged powder was coming to for bulking up and packaging when it gets up and running :):)

Is that the N****e plant near Dijon.
    I have a buddy out there involved in the Pm of a baby powder plant to the east of Dijon. Ye all would have a right laugh if ye knew what country the unpackaged powder was coming to for bulking up and packaging when it gets up and running :):)

Pray tell...??

No the powder plant was opened in Brittany.

Pray tell...??

No the powder plant was opened in Brittany.

Near Besancon, he's gone into it in boring detail, (kowtow would love him) with me, but it involves cheese, a byproduct, 20-30% of baby powder, and slapping a shamrock on the tin. Along those lines. I think that plant has 12-24 months to get up and running. Still at the yellow Tonkas stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Dairygold cut price by 1c/l. Down to 23c/l inc vat

alps wrote: »
    You're pussy footing John....who said it?

We don't need to know the source

If it came from the same source as I heard, there's also some mention of a 90 m hole in the accounts. Should make interesting reading if they will ever get properly published. Then again as far back as I can remember I can't recall a set of co op accounts that didn't manage to put a positive spin on things no matter how bad they were

• Advertisement

Near Besancon, he's gone into it in boring detail, (kowtow would love him) with me, but it involves cheese, a byproduct, 20-30% of baby powder, and slapping a shamrock on the tin. Along those lines. I think that plant has 12-24 months to get up and running. Still at the yellow Tonkas stage.

The time has come to put an AOC on the shamrock and indeed Ireland. Kerry, Connemara etc are some way protected, but using the Irish image by way of local loopholes is abused to infinity...I suppose it's like 'inversion' and double Irish...prostitution.

The time has come to put an AOC on the shamrock and indeed Ireland. Kerry, Connemara etc are some way protected, but using the Irish image by way of local loopholes is abused to infinity...I suppose it's like 'inversion' and double Irish...prostitution.

AOC? Abuse of copyright?

C4d, only 6 to go to get it down to 17 cent so for DG.

AOC? Abuse of copyright?

Kinda.
    Appellation d'origine contrôlée.
    Controlled designation of origin...
    Think Champagne and a host of French cheeses.
    Stick on an AoC and put a halt to the whoring. However when your government make a living from FDI that is built on such prostitution, it may be difficult...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

delaval wrote: »
    I was wondering would it be a help if we posted our milk prices. I would hope that if someone is low that help could be given, on the other hand if high perhaps your tips could help us all.

I would suggest posting your processors base inc Vat for comparison
    Post your Nett price for others to help or be helped
    I think that solids should be included.
    I suggest any seasonal/liquid contract price be excluded or seperated.

I feel that we as farmers do a lot of bitching about processor prices and rightly so IMO. I also feel that we should not worry about it as we can do nothing about base price but we certainly do something about it at farm level.

What do you all think?
    Supplier Carbery
    Base 24.73
    Coop av 27.07
    Price 34.98
    Fat% 4.67
    Pr% 3.71
    Scc 195

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement