Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

browned wrote: »
    Supplier Carbery
    Base 24.73
    Coop av 27.07
    Price 34.98
    Fat% 4.67
    Pr% 3.71
    Scc 195

Litres?
    Inc vat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

Dawggone wrote: »
    Litres?
    Inc vat?

18 Litres OAD
    Including vat

18 Litres OAD
    Including vat

OAD.
    I thought you were spring calving? Interesting...management decision due to weather, or, are you going down this route? If so, what kind/breed of cow? This has been niggling my brain for a while...
    Please share.

Just to add.
    33.4 pr
    42.9 bf
    5k tbc
    94k scc
    30.0 mu
    33.4 litres
    32.6cpl + vat.

I'm actually happy with that, even though Browned whups ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Supplier Carbery
    Base 24.73
    Coop av 27.07
    Price 34.98
    Fat% 4.67
    Pr% 3.71
    Scc 195

Glanbia supplier wouldn't even of cleared 29 cent on March milk with same solids, seven cent difference is fair eye-opening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Kerry supplier
    prot 3.10
    Bfat 4.21
    Scc 148
    27.215c/l
    All spring calving. Protein was dire.

OAD.
    I thought you were spring calving? Interesting...management decision due to weather, or, are you going down this route? If so, what kind/breed of cow? This has been niggling my brain for a while...
    Please share.

Just to add.
    33.4 pr
    42.9 bf
    5k tbc
    94k scc
    30.0 mu
    33.4 litres

I'm actually happy with that, even though Browned whups ass!
    I'm still spring calving. Just got sick of milking cows in the evening to be honest. Had a large group of heifer coming through and said they'd make up the drop in volume. Kiwi fr/jex herd average enough cows. Volume matching last yr, better milk price, lower costs, less work, happy cows and a happier farmer.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Glanbia supplier wouldn't even of cleared 29 cent on March milk with same solids, seven cent difference is fair eye-opening

The base may be a cent extra I'm not 100% as the statement isn't the easiest to read. 30% fixed as well

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Water John wrote: »
    C4d, only 6 to go to get it down to 17 cent so for DG.

Well if that's where we're heading Dairygold won't have much milk to collect. They'll be nobody able to sustain prices lower than what they are now for any considerable period of time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well as some one else mentioned here, they seem to have a €90M hole, its one way of recovering it. With MSA where are people off to?

Seems to be a battle each month between mangement and Board on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Well as some one else mentioned here, they seem to have a €90M hole, its one way of recovering it. With MSA where are people off to?

Seems to be a battle each month between mangement and Board on the price.

People will simply EXIT dairy farming at that price. Can't be produced at anywhere close to that price so Dairygold will have more than a €90million hole to worry about if they attempt that.
    It'll never drop below 21/22 is my prediction.
    GDT moving right direction already.
    Numerous dairy farms being put up for sale every day in NZ. The correction has started. Admittedly it'll take time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

C4d78 wrote: »
    People will simply EXIT dairy farming at that price. Can't be produced at anywhere close to that price so Dairygold will have more than a €90million hole to worry about if they attempt that.
    Numerous dairy farms being put up for sale every day in NZ. The correction has started. Admittedly it'll take time.

The USA who have increased more than the EU and NZs increase combined are showing no signs of taking the foot off the accelerator yet. Until there is a serious weather event that effects the corn yields I can't see any real correction.

I really do hope the correction has started. My sympathy is with those families working hard and relying on the milk.

What some processors are up to is a different story.

The two driving on and downwards without thought for the producer are Glanbia and Dairygold. Each for different reasons.
    Glanbia, obviously to drive share price. The motivation or moving force within Dairygold is much more difficult to decipher. Very poor organisational culture, that has little or no respect for their shareholders is a characteristic of it.
    Maybe the clue is in the well financed pension within the organisation. Worth about the same as the company. Many seniors looking forward to a healthy and wealthy retirement.
    Other than that, I cannot fathom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭alps

I really do hope the correction has started. My sympathy is with those families working hard and relying on the milk.

The two driving on and downwards without thought for the producer are Glanbia and Dairygold. Each for different reasons.
    Glanbia, obviously to drive share price. The motivation or moving force within Dairygold is much more difficult to decipher. Very poor organisational culture, that has little or no respect for their shareholders is a characteristic of it.
    Maybe the clue is in the well financed pension within the organisation. Worth about the same as the company. Many seniors looking forward to a healthy and wealthy retirement.

Ego can also cloud judgement........wolf's erection in Mallow so to speak...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

To be fair the comment of 17c is said to have been made as a suggested way of balancing the books. I think you are correct, if any CEO was allowed to pull of something like that. Any of the board members could never even go to a mart again. No one has said the 90m million hole was necessarily in Dairygolds accounts. But if it were, it would seem strange for them to have a staff pension fund approaching 300m. If one was to arrive from other space and look at that one logicly. You would have to ask the question? In whose best interest is the CoOp working?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Kinda.
    Appellation d'origine contrôlée.
    Controlled designation of origin...
    Think Champagne and a host of French cheeses.
    Stick on an AoC and put a halt to the whoring. However when your government make a living from FDI that is built on such prostitution, it may be difficult...

I think there was an article in the Farmers Journal a while back about a farmer whose land was on the edge of the Champagne producing region. There was talk of extending where it could be produced. His land was set to increase in value by an unbelievable amount if it went ahead. It was something along those lines anyway.

Very Intresting graph in annual report for 2015 that showed distribution of dairy expansion and by what % glanbia suppliers increased supplied....
    Nearly 60% of increased milk supply came from suppliers who supplied from 1-30% more milk relative to 2014 with less then 10%of suppliers increasing supply over 50%....
    It paints a picture at low milk prices/poor years weather wise that glanbia could see massive swings in milk supply as alot of guys in the 1-30% bracket will simply pull back feed to cows/dry off early /cull more cows, their drive to increase share price could backfire spectacular if their relying on year on year growth in milk supply so they can cream more money off expanding litres......
    The pension scheme in glanbia isn't anything to be taken lightly either 128 million went on pensions in 2015 down from 170 million in 2014

Very Intresting graph in annual report for 2015 that showed distribution of dairy expansion and by what % glanbia suppliers increased supplied....
    Nearly 60% of increased milk supply came from suppliers who supplied from 1-30% more milk relative to 2014 with less then 10%of suppliers increasing supply over 50%....
    It paints a picture at low milk prices/poor years weather wise that glanbia could see massive swings in milk supply as alot of guys in the 1-30% bracket will simply pull back feed to cows/dry off early /cull more cows, their drive to increase share price could backfire spectacular if their relying on year on year growth in milk supply so they can cream more money off expanding litres......
    The pension scheme in glanbia isn't anything to be taken lightly either 128 million went on pensions in 2015 down from 170 million in 2014

With those kind of pension schemes you'd have to say that it looks like milking farmers is much more profitable than milking cows.
    Tell me please? Is there any new interant scheme for someone wishing to reap the rewards of the farmers hard work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Production back 3% in NZ.
    Apparently Europe is to blame for dairy slump at the moment (according to NZ).
    Talking to someone from glanbia a few weeks back and they said for prices to improve there will have to be a correction of supply.
    Hopefully GDT keeps improving. (However farmers here got to be stuck in first place depending on auction on other side of world is another story).
    More guarded information on the GDT rises here.
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/dairy/79107082/milk-prices-continue-to-climb-globaldairytrade-auction

Timmaay wrote: »
    The USA who have increased more than the EU and NZs increase combined are showing no signs of taking the foot off the accelerator yet. Until there is a serious weather event that effects the corn yields I can't see any real correction.

Problem is that the US have the largest stocks of maize with 30yrs...
    Plus China are to stop stockpiling barley...

I've been dodging bullets with the last couple of years with some lucky forward selling of wheat, but not this year as price is on the floor without letup.

• Advertisement

MF290 wrote: »
    I think there was an article in the Farmers Journal a while back about a farmer whose land was on the edge of the Champagne producing region. There was talk of extending where it could be produced. His land was set to increase in value by an unbelievable amount if it went ahead. It was something along those lines anyway.

I think they have extended the Champagne area.

I'm still spring calving. Just got sick of milking cows in the evening to be honest. Had a large group of heifer coming through and said they'd make up the drop in volume. Kiwi fr/jex herd average enough cows. Volume matching last yr, better milk price, lower costs, less work, happy cows and a happier farmer.

Have the cows adjusted well?
    Have individual cows scc spiked?
    BCS better?
    Less hard feed?

Sorry for all the questions. If I was in Ireland with the right cow type, I'd be looking closely at it. Do you think that cows will produce as much as last year, or do you expect production to sharply decline in late lactation?

Have the cows adjusted well?
    Have individual cows scc spiked?
    BCS better?
    Less hard feed?

Sorry for all the questions. If I was in Ireland with the right cow type, I'd be looking closely at it. Do you think that cows will produce as much as last year, or do you expect production to sharply decline in late lactation?

1 Some can take up to a month and others take like a duck to water. Won't know properly until my 2nd milk recording as to how they've really settled.
    2 Scc is hovering at or around 200 but a bit of culling will sort that out, if theres a problem quarter it makes it worse but once there's no infection it reduces the risk ofspread. Mastitis is prob lower than it was TAD but is harder to detect the culprits.
    3 bcs is unreal tbh. Think I'll be controlled starving them for the dry period. Cows tend to go cycling 14 days post calving while heifer take maybe 21 days.
    4 I don't calf till Valentine's Day but so far 120kgs of hulls/pke and 20kgs silage fed to milkers. Been on grass only for the last 10 days and will keep it that way till sep weather permitting.
    Hoping to produce similar to last year in terms of overall volume but with more numbers so less per cow. They say it takes 3 yrs to cull your way back to TAD levels again. Will oversow the whole farm in clover in June to try and negate the expected drop in autumn production. Think cows will hold but fear heifer might dry themselves up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Nice little side note in annual report, re availing of member support package "while no minimum trading level is required in 2016, the board has signalled an intention to consider a minimum trading requirement for future support payments...
    Really getting sick of them at the minute, between milk flex, their 7 year contracts, and now signilliang their trying to control you in that you have to buy your inputs of them, they will shortly dream up a scheme where you have to give them a hold over your land....
    It will shortly get to a stage where a supplier who avails of milk flex/ buys a lot of inputs of them will be lucky to get a milk cheque at all, probably end up owing them money at the end of the month the way they are heading with milk price

No mention in the Coop annual report of GiiL's profits in 2015,just the sales figure,is the profit in the 60% owned entity a secret?
    There's a full summary of the plc's results of which members only own 30 odd percent but nothing on GII

Is the reason not to commit that figure to paper because it would embarrass the board at a time when they want to hurt milk suppliers as much in the pocket as possible?
    Presumably the figure will be asked for at the AGM?

No mention in the Coop annual report of GiiL's profits in 2015,just the sales figure,is the profit in the 60% owned entity a secret?
    There's a full summary of the plc's results of which members only own 30 odd percent but nothing on GII

Is the reason not to commit that figure to paper because it would embarrass the board at a time when they want to hurt milk suppliers as much in the pocket as possible?
    Presumably the figure will be asked for at the AGM?

I reckon you'll do well to get a straight answer, will gets lots of spin some nice sound bites but not the proper figure, have to say looking at the group photo of the board 90% of them wouldn't look out of place in a retirement home, their seriously needs to be a shake - up of it and some new young blood got into not more lapdogs for Bergin/Talbot to get to tow the party line....
    Corbally at this stage needs to start getting lynched with the smug grin he's sporting the whole time, while trying to keep a straight face when conveying how glanbia is supporting suppliers, if the prick hadn't boatloads of plc shares to prop up his dairy farms on top of his nice salary he might of had to grow some balls and stand up to Talbot and co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

Kerry Supplier

BFat 4.40
    Protein 3.16
    Lact 4.78
    SCC 302,000
    26.65 cent per litre, had a couple of problem cows which destroyed the cell.

On the milk supply conditions attached this month, the last condition no. 18 "Milk Supplied to Kerry Agribusiness must comply with Russian Federation Legal Requirements".

Whats that about?

• Advertisement

1 Some can take up to a month and others take like a duck to water. Won't know properly until my 2nd milk recording as to how they've really settled.
    2 Scc is hovering at or around 200 but a bit of culling will sort that out, if theres a problem quarter it makes it worse but once there's no infection it reduces the risk ofspread. Mastitis is prob lower than it was TAD but is harder to detect the culprits.
    3 bcs is unreal tbh. Think I'll be controlled starving them for the dry period. Cows tend to go cycling 14 days post calving while heifer take maybe 21 days.
    4 I don't calf till Valentine's Day but so far 120kgs of hulls/pke and 20kgs silage fed to milkers. Been on grass only for the last 10 days and will keep it that way till sep weather permitting.
    Hoping to produce similar to last year in terms of overall volume but with more numbers so less per cow. They say it takes 3 yrs to cull your way back to TAD levels again. Will oversow the whole farm in clover in June to try and negate the expected drop in autumn production. Think cows will hold but fear heifer might dry themselves up.

Thanks Browned.
    Excellent post.
    One helluva way to respond to low prices.
    More producers should have a closer look, IMO.

Keep us posted.

Thanks Browned.
    Excellent post.
    One helluva way to respond to low prices.
    More producers should have a closer look, IMO.

Keep us posted.

Cheers dawg

Think there are less than 50 full season oader's out of 17,000 dairy farmers. Doubt it'll catch on even if low prices continue.
    Suit me and the farm and that's all that matters to me. I find that the higher protein and milk prices gives a good mental health boost. Once the calves are weaned the plan is to milk a couple of midweek evening for a neighbour and get him to milk Sunday mornings. Will allow me to head away sat morning and come back Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

oxjkqg wrote: »

On the milk supply conditions attached this month, the last condition no. 18 "Milk Supplied to Kerry Agribusiness must comply with Russian Federation Legal Requirements".

Whats that about?
    They must have got the contract to supply the embassy up on Orwell road

Think there are less than 50 full season oader's out of 17,000 dairy farmers. Doubt it'll catch on even if low prices continue.

You'd be surprised what would catch on if low prices continue for long enough...

Keep updating on progress.

Maybe 16951 dairy farmers have got it wrong...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

strathroy dairys march milk 24 cpl plus vat plus quality bonus spring price. winter milk price 23cpl plus 1.5cpl bonus plus quality bonus plus vat .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

strathroy dairys march milk 24 cpl plus vat plus quality bonus spring price. winter milk price 23cpl plus 1.5cpl bonus plus quality bonus plus vat .

What's quality bonus? Did.someone post it was 29 for feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Jasus the boys in Ornua are having a great time, 9 execs getting 9 million in payouts over the last 24 months.
    We're very lucky to have such amazing people at the top level of our food companies looking after us. Blessed we are.

Milked out wrote: »
    What's quality bonus? Did.someone post it was 29 for feb?

spring for feb is the same as march . winter price was 23.5 plus vat plus quality bonus plus 7 cent bonus . the quality bonus is .25 cent alitre for tbc under 10000 and .25 clp for scc under 200000

Jasus the boys in Ornua are having a great time, 9 execs getting 9 million in payouts over the last 24 months.
    We're very lucky to have such amazing people at the top level of our food companies looking after us. Blessed we are.

yet we continue to take it up the arse by them and gill and sit on our hands and do nothing . its time for war

spring for feb is the same as march . winter price was 23.5 plus vat plus quality bonus plus 7 cent bonus . the quality bonus is .25 cent alitre for tbc under 10000 and .25 clp for scc under 200000

What are conditions for winter bonus? Certain percentage of supply? Are they a+b-c for base price? Spring price is the same as processors down here so dg were 24 base for Feb additional 0.4c for quality then.

What are conditions for winter bonus? Certain percentage of supply? Are they a+b-c for base price? Spring price is the same as processors down here so dg were 24 base for Feb additional 0.4c for quality then.

a plus b minus c for spring . i am spring supplier so not sure about winter bonus conditions . was dg 24 cpl inc vat

Yea. Saw that on the news...

'Cos I'm worth it.

Blessed indeed.

a plus b minus c for spring . i am spring supplier so not sure about winter bonus conditions . was dg 24 cpl inc vat

Yeah sorry incl vat, ye had that ahead of us. We're back to 23 this month so another cent behind. Are strathroy all fresh products? Have there contracts with supermarkets been cut much? Was expecting them to be a bit further ahead with the high level of liquid milk and being less exposed to powder etc. All assumptions as don't know much of strathroy

Yeah sorry incl vat, ye had that ahead of us. We're back to 23 this month so another cent behind. Are strathroy all fresh products? Have there contracts with supermarkets been cut much? Was expecting them to be a bit further ahead with the high level of liquid milk and being less exposed to powder etc. All assumptions as don't know much of strathroy

they do trade off milk to other coops. they only produce fresh milk and cream . to be honest have no contact with them in a while , had no reason to we are being treated fairly and thats all farmers want at the end of the day . they prob be down in wexford to meet the group in a couple of months to speak about their plans for the coming yr

They've put up a small dryer for peak months,6 ton I think. Going by Watsthecrack's prices, quality bonuses and the lack of levys, I'd say they're close on 8-10% over Glanbias 24c

• Advertisement

They've put up a small dryer for peak months,6 ton I think. Going by Watsthecrack's prices, quality bonuses and the lack of levys, I'd say they're close on 8-10% over Glanbias 24c

It will be interesting to see how it pans out over a number of years, will they be able to match when world prices start rising or peak. "When" being used in hope more than anything:(

ya its a 6 ton dryer off course second hand . trading with lakelands i think

At DG costs that 6 ton dryer must have cost the Cunnunhams €60M.

Ah Craic, DG wouldn't touch anything second hand.

Yea. Saw that on the news...

'Cos I'm worth it.

Blessed indeed.

I think it should be compulsory for every farmer representative on every board to be made familiar with the latest research regarding the remuneration of executives. There is absolutely no justification for paying anyone that kind of crazy money, Based on this study is it any wonder so many poor management decisions are being made.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2014/06/16/the-highest-paid-ceos-are-the-worst-performers-new-study-says/#21b1cfd9293a

I'm waiting till they advertise their positions. Then i'm applying.:D
    In the meantime anyone in cork want to be an administrative assistant.
    http://www.irishjobs.ie/Recruiters/Ornua-3374.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

The onus is firmly on the co-ops now to follow suit.

The onus is firmly on the co-ops now to follow suit.

Was there talk from Brussels that full disclosure was going to become compulsory. It's really needed. its in situations like this, that you see how useless Coveney is. Afraid to rock the boat with the chums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was there talk from Brussels that full disclosure was going to become compulsory. It's really needed. its in situations like this, that you see how useless Coveney is. Afraid to rock the boat with the chums.
    Is Coveney still minister for ag? Nothing heard from him in ages..... also when will be get the balancing payments form last years bps, it was paid in june last year and he said it would be paid earlier this year? Will it be a big announcement when the new minister comes in

• Advertisement

Farmer Ed wrote: »

Read their mission and vision. Gave me a chuckle.:p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement