Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is Coveney still minister for ag? Nothing heard from him in ages..... also when will be get the balancing payments form last years bps, it was paid in june last year and he said it would be paid earlier this year? Will it be a big announcement when the new minister comes in

I suppose in his defence put yourself in his position. If your own brother was on the board of glanbia and heavily involved in the meat industry you might feel a bit compremised when having to comment on situations like this also.

Probably the most compremised minister we have ever had. Inspite of his attempt to have people think he was actually a farmer.
    Some people actually still believe he drives a combine every year.

If I ever run for election. I have plans to be photographed in the cockpit of a aircraft and let everyone think I'm a pilot. And when I do get the minister for transport job. Say nothing about my brother mick in o leary air or what ever it's called.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Read their mission and vision. Gave me a chuckle.:p

Your dead right. Their vision it to reward pretty much everyone but themselves God love them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Was there talk from Brussels that full disclosure was going to become compulsory. It's really needed. its in situations like this, that you see how useless Coveney is. Afraid to rock the boat with the chums.

All the same unfortunately. A bad politician is no use, but neither is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Are there are co op board members from Kerry,Glanbia etc on that ornua rich list?

We are some mugs

Are there are co op board members from Kerry,Glanbia etc on that ornua rich list?

We are some mugs

As a co op their in a perfect position. Co ops are not subject to the same laws as regular businesses. Yes I'm afraid you'd dead right we are some mugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We are some mugs
    Iirc Kerry don't trade with Ornua.

Iirc Kerry don't trade with Ornua.

And to be fair at least in the past Kerry farmers did very well out of that arrangement. An unbelievable amount of Kerry farmers sitting on very valuable Kerry shares. Guys with literally millions worth are not that uncommon.

I hope the Kerry story success story hasn't ended with Brosnan. He was some man surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There is so much cost cutting that could be done higher up, but it is the people at the bottom of the food chain (the producers) who have to pay for people higher up who are doing a questionable job in terms of the return they are getting for the farmer.
    A revolution is needed, the most important people in the food chain are the farmers, whom all the rest depend on, the payment system in farming is all wrong, millions in payment for people at the top who would have nothing without the farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

How do you get a job on one of those boards.

I have my own transport and would be able to rent a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

RobertKK wrote: »
    There is so much cost cutting that could be done higher up, but it is the people at the bottom of the food chain (the producers) who have to pay for people higher up who are doing a questionable job in terms of the return they are getting for the farmer.
    A revolution is needed, the most important people in the food chain are the farmers, whom all the rest depend on, the payment system in farming is all wrong, millions in payment for people at the top who would have nothing without the farmers.

In an ideal world there renumeration would be based on prices achieved at farm gate level.

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »

Ah now a MF240 in the car park next to the Mercs might cramp their style a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

mf240 wrote:

mf240 wrote:

Make a point of adding up your travel expenses while pretending to listen at the interview. They'll know then that you've got what it takes.

RobertKK wrote: »

You are so right!

If I can make a suggestion. Maybe discussion groups should be set up for these boyos. They could compare costs and compete with each other as to who could sleep in these board rooms for the least amount of money.Then the lowest costs could be published for all to see. Then we should also find somewhere on the other side of the world where people sleep in boardrooms for free and use that as a goal for all of them to achieve.

Has anyone even counted how many of these quangos there are? And now with the quality assurance,growing even further. I wonder how many more quangos will be set up before people wake up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Interesting article on how China ramped up milk prices, stockpiled and then pulled the plug on NewZealand. Just thinking how fcuked would we be if quotas had ended 2 years earlier or if the Chinese had waited another 2 years before they pulled the plug.
    https://m.thetrumpet.com/articles/13766,2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Interesting article on how China ramped up milk prices, stockpiled and then pulled the plug on NewZealand. Just thinking how fcuked would we be if quotas had ended 2 years earlier or if the Chinese had waited another 2 years before they pulled the plug.
    https://m.thetrumpet.com/articles/13766,2

Too much of a conspiracy theory for me...

Dawggone wrote: »
    Too much of a conspiracy theory go me...

But the milk price was artificially high, they did stockpile, the price is gone to sh1t and they are buying land.

There are some scary figures re the size of debts and how many farmers have large debts.

Spent the morning number crunching with the bean counters. Decided to stress test the dairy enterprise.
    Well worth doing...
    When (if) milk hits 24cpl I'll have to stop direct investment into dairy...no new diet feeder, sheds, concrete etc.
    If under 24cpl, then a change around will have to happen, or include calf and cull sales to keep on an even keel.
    Much more confident now knowing exactly what needs doing. I would highly recommend doing it rather than depressing yourselves reading the doom and gloom on here. :):)

But the milk price was artificially high, they did stockpile, the price is gone to sh1t and they are buying land.

There are some scary figures re the size of debts and how many farmers have large debts.

True, but insinuating that it was a cunning strategy...? I don't know...

By the way, when NZ was being lauded as the way ahead, why didn't someone point out their indebtedness, and their dependency on one market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

By the way, when NZ was being lauded as the way ahead, why didn't someone point out their indebtedness, and their dependency on one market?

Because bertie Ahern would have told you to go away and commit suicide for being a begrudger and a nay sayer
    Its easier to go with the flow dawg.

Because bertie Ahern would have told you to go away and commit suicide for being a begrudger and a nay sayer
    Its easier to go with the flow dawg.

Ohhhh nasty Darragh!!

• Advertisement

Too much of a conspiracy theory go me...

Why is it that anyone who has an opinion that deveates away from the fairytale ending that everything is perfect in this lovely little industry of ours and that we are just so lucky and fortunate to have such capable and competent people leading our industry in the right direction, is dismissed as some kind of conspiracy theorist or a crank. Didn't a certain Bertie expressed a view that got him into hot water about people who didn't agree with his view about the way the property industry was going. Sure of course we should always try and be positive,not matter what. At the end of the day there is more to life than money and land. But burying our heads in the sand is hardly the answer either.

If things are as good over here in Ireland as you seem to think they are. You're welcome to move over here anytime. I might even do a swap with you for my place if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

delaval wrote:
    I was wondering would it be a help if we posted our milk prices. I would hope that if someone is low that help could be given, on the other hand if high perhaps your tips could help us all.

Bottom line Irish people get carried away when prices are high, on the other hand we have a sick perversion to the opposite

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Bottom line Irish people get carried away when prices are high, on the other hand we have a sick perversion to the opposite

The only way to compare prices, like for like is to use a standard fat and protein. In our case that is 3.6f and 3.3p. Or simply comparing the price for kg of solids. I notice some processors are now trying to muddy the waters by saying that their average supplier got a better price than what the Co Op is paying for 3.6f and 3.3p. If they are it is only because of their own management practices resulting in higher solids. How processors can try and use this to paint their milk price in a better light beats me? Or are they trying to suggest that their neighbours are not testing to milk properly and deliberately giving farmers poor test results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Spent the morning number crunching with the bean counters. Decided to stress test the dairy enterprise.
    Well worth doing...
    When (if) milk hits 24cpl I'll have to stop direct investment into dairy...no new diet feeder, sheds, concrete etc.
    If under 24cpl, then a change around will have to happen, or include calf and cull sales to keep on an even keel.
    Much more confident now knowing exactly what needs doing. I would highly recommend doing it rather than depressing yourselves reading the doom and gloom on here. :):)

Would you normally just class dairy as milk sales in your accounts and not the associated cattle sales?

thats the scary thing, when the NZ model was brought back it wasn't just grass, cow type, low cost, etc. ,it was whole model right up to big coop producing cheap product. They missed a lot of detail along the way

Milked out wrote: »
    Well worth doing...

Would you normally just class dairy as milk sales in your accounts and not the associated cattle sales?[/
    Yes. An accounting hangover from a bull beef enterprise. Tax efficient.
    Milked out wrote: »
    Well worth doing...

Would you normally just class dairy as milk sales in your accounts and not the associated cattle sales?
    Add your reply here.

Well worth doing...

Do you allocate most of your wages to the tillage enterprise. would costing 1 wage/100 cows change the figures much
    And do you cost what comes across from the tillage ( maize, tractor hire, etc) at your cost price or at market price, Iykwim
    Curious

Who fecked up boards again?

Wrote a big long reply to Clyde and it was lost.
    Will try later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

Family member does stress tests for a living, he'll retire at 35. I do a stress test he tells me I'll be working until I'm 75. I think that's the general jist of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is Coveney still minister for ag? Nothing heard from him in ages..... also when will be get the balancing payments form last years bps, it was paid in june last year and he said it would be paid earlier this year? Will it be a big announcement when the new minister comes in
    Just read in the journal that the 3% balancing payments will be paid end of april/ early may :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Dairygold supplier

Fat 4.40
    Pr. 3.49
    Lac 4.95
    Scc 118

27.067 Inc vat.

Society average 24.060 ........ouch

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Dairygold supplier

Fat 4.40
    Pr. 3.49
    Lac 4.95
    Scc 118

27.067 Inc vat.

That's before they take out money for shares 4000 needed for every 100k litres

I notice 3 Dairygold faces on the Ornua board. At least not everyone in Dairygold is not doing so badly.

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    That's before they take out money for shares 4000 needed for every 100k litres

I notice 3 Dairygold faces on the Ornua board. At least not everyone in Dairygold is not doing so badly.

Most people who bought feed and fertilizer from dairygold over the years have no problem with shares as they were given for every certain amount purchased. People who didn't buy off them or young farmers are in trouble but the majority are fine. So the shares side of it aren't the big problem milk price is....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Dairygold supplier

Fat 4.40
    Pr. 3.49
    Lac 4.95
    Scc 118

27.067 Inc vat.

Great protein. Are you Autumn calving to have such good constitutions

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

aurivo
    baseprice ;24 c/l( includes 1.4c early calving bonus)
    pr 3.46
    fat 4.8
    scc 146
    28.5 c/l

• Advertisement

Most people who bought feed and fertilizer from dairygold over the years have no problem with shares as they were given for every certain amount purchased. People who didn't buy off them or young farmers are in trouble but the majority are fine. So the shares side of it aren't the big problem milk price is....

Other Co ops don't require as much shares.by a long shot and also don't seem to have a problem with people redeeming them when they are intitled to do so. but you are correct milk price is the big issue. People who moved to Dairygold and now have to buy shares must be kicking themselves now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How low and low will prices go before us farmers start protesting would ye reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

How low and low will prices go before us farmers start protesting would ye reckon?

Protest to who?

When French farmers were protesting people on here were discussed a their behaviour. We have become very soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

We're Irish we don't protest.😉
    Ah no with new pres of ifa won't be long I reckon. There is another milk chestnut that could come back from Brussels that has people afraid to protest.

• Advertisement

Ah no with new pres of ifa won't be long I reckon. There is another milk chestnut that could come back from Brussels that has people afraid to protest.

Remember when Fr Ted and Doggle were protesting about that film.
    "Down with that sort of thing" Will probably be the extent of our protest.

Just in the last couple of days there has been an announcement about how nine people walked away with a cool 9m at the same time as farmers are facing a very worrying year to say the least. The trouble is the people who should be leading the protests are all sitting on boards with those 9 geniuses and doing well out of it also..You couldn't make it up if you tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

There were plenty protests in 09 including tractors and several hundred outside a Glanbia board meeting in Enniscorthy
    I suspect GiiL protests will resume shortly once everyone's spin out money has run out which can't be long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Other Co ops don't require as much shares.by a long shot and also don't seem to have a problem with people redeeming them when they are intitled to do so. but you are correct milk price is the big issue. People who moved to Dairygold and now have to buy shares must be kicking themselves now.

Just to correct you, share purchase, as with the revolving fund, hasn't been coming out of the milk cheque for nearly a year now.

Just to correct you, share purchase, as with the revolving fund, hasn't been coming out of the milk cheque for nearly a year now.

My apologies I wasn't aware they had put it on the long finger. Maybe that might go some way in explaining the delay in balancing the books and publishing the accounts. Yes I checked, you are correct.The revolving fund has been postponed and the share up has been made optional on the basis that when milk price recovers an increased amount per litre will have to be paid to make up the shortfall. Something to look forward to I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

There were plenty protests in 09 including tractors and several hundred outside a Glanbia board meeting in Enniscorthy
    I suspect GiiL protests will resume shortly once everyone's spin out money has run out which can't be long

There was a few of the wickla liquid lads there as well. If I remember correctly. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Received 25.15c/L incl vat and fixed price scheme. At 3.31p and 4.1bf. The fixed price brought the price for full month up by 0.9c/L before vat.

degetme wrote: »
    Great protein. Are you Autumn calving to have such good constitutions

Yes and unfortunately this month won't have as good results as I'm out of whole crop and feeding just silage and straw with meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

kerry
    Gross Milk Price* (As Shown Above) is : 25.032 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    Price for Scheme 15/17 is : 29.520 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    Current Price is : 22.485 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    On Milk Sold to Scheme 15/17 you gained : 7.035 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    protein 2.90
    fat 3.59
    scc 178

very poor protein, need to improve tat dramatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Henwin wrote: »
    kerry
    Gross Milk Price* (As Shown Above) is : 25.032 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    Price for Scheme 15/17 is : 29.520 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    Current Price is : 22.485 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    On Milk Sold to Scheme 15/17 you gained : 7.035 CPL (VAT Inc.)
    protein 2.90
    fat 3.59
    scc 178

very poor protein, need to improve tat dramatically
    Were any Kerry suppliers contacted yet about collective representation in the arbitration with Kerry about the 13th payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Were any Kerry suppliers contacted yet about collective representation in the arbitration with Kerry about the 13th payment?

ya got a copy of a letter today from a solicitor and a form to fill if we want to sign it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement